• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    You are aware that you can donate specifically to Maryland via NRA-ILA, right?

I don't. Half the money is always allotted to your home state. Sometimes it is better to invest in winners (states to keep 2A alive) than continually pour money at losers. When I read the grant amount of funds by state, it looks like that is what NRA does. I really see the only solution for Maryland and other hold outs via Federal laws regardless. Maryland gets ~$53K in 2013. Looks too as if nationally 2012 was a big year in donations with a sharp decline in 2013.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    65% of donations MSI collects go towards maintaining the vice-president's amazing hair.

For your information, MSI does have a treasurer.

You really are unbelievable. You claim the only way things can be corrected here is through litigation, and yet when the state's largest gun-rights group is tied up with one federal case and is working on launching a second, and asks for donations; you question its motives, honesty, and integrity?

Why is asking if financials are open unbelievable? You donate your way , I'll donate mine. Why anyone would shell out money w/o some disclosure is nuts to me, but go for it. Even the damn nerds at the Mycological Association of Washington posts financials :lol2: The defensive nature to an innocuous question right away feigning that malfeasance was implied has already answered what I need to know. Good luck.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No, MSI has not posted financials, do to the nature of the organization. We are working to get all of the financials in one place so that we can, at some point, provide a decent financial report to our members other than to say "we took in X and spent it on Y."

Any other questions feel free to contact via PM or e-mail and we can discuss them.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Does MSI publish financial statements?

What does it say about me that it never occurred to me to ask? I know the people, know the cause and the rest is trust and faith. One day, perhaps, once there are more who show up to help out than bitch on the internet, there will be a financial statement.

...and by "bitch on the internet" I do not mean your question. I mean the rage I see in posts here, elsewhere and at ranges, then see a dozen people at a meeting on how to fix the poor state of this State.

Really, if you want the straight skinny, PM dblas

Last edited:

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I donate to NRA, they post financials. About 83% of the money goes to grants. It is amazing how little Maryland gets. If you read state by state, the more gun friendly the more money with little correlation to population really. Example, WV with 1/3 MD population gets twice as much in grants.

I'll assume from the responses the answer in no. Next question would be why not. I don't donate the kind of funds I do without a bit of sunshine, so excuse me for asking. Not fond of rabbit holes either.

Shannon Alford is NRA-ILA's Rep for MD ... nuff said about what we get. Others (MSI Officers and BoD members) have already commented on their desire and ability to produce a financial report.

I respect your reasons for NOT donating, but many MSI members as well as MDS forum participants donate without needing a 'bit of sunshine'. Do you donate to MDShooters ? Do you get a benefit from participating on this forum ? I rest my case ...

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    In for $50, but have a question on the financial side myself.

How much do we need to raise or at least hoping to raise, is there a goal?

The reason I ask is like other fund raisers the have something like a thermometer showing the progress, and the way I look at it is if I donate now and can see in a month or two that we still have a way to go I can pitch in some cash as I can to help reach the goal.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    A feel good meter for pro 2A in MD well we need to pick someone very optimistic to design that one. Good idea though. I'll send something today MSI.

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    65% of donations MSI collects go towards maintaining the vice-president's amazing hair.

Someone must be skimming off the top then, because I know it has to take more than that to maintain that amazing coiffure.:D

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thank you for starting this thread, I think it was much needed! We need to get this lawsuit started ASAP and send a clear message to these bums in Annapolis!

I'm up for membership renewal so I'll renew + $100 for the HQL case.
    I know resources are constrained due to the nature of MSI, but it would be really great if we could have something in the OP such as a $$$ goal and keep track of how much money we have collected toward that goal. Just a suggestion not sure it is possible at this time. It's always good to have that to keep people motivated so that they can see how much progress is being made. Also as the goal becomes closer to attaining I'm sure more people would be willing to kick in a little more. My .02

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    A feel good meter for pro 2A in MD well we need to pick someone very optimistic to design that one. Good idea though. I'll send something today MSI.

PM Sent. I'm working towards this and want to see what you have. I'm not a techy guy, but will do this if we can.

I don't know how many members are on MDS, but if everyone here donated $10, I'd bet we'd have enough to move this thing forward.

And donation sent.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    PM Sent. I'm working towards this and want to see what you have. I'm not a techy guy, but will do this if we can.

I don't know how many members are on MDS, but if everyone here donated $10, I'd bet we'd have enough to move this thing forward.

And donation sent.

10 dollars and a promise to actually go out and vote for the Republican presidential candidate in 2016.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In for $50, but have a question on the financial side myself.

How much do we need to raise or at least hoping to raise, is there a goal?

The reason I ask is like other fund raisers the have something like a thermometer showing the progress, and the way I look at it is if I donate now and can see in a month or two that we still have a way to go I can pitch in some cash as I can to help reach the goal.

Not to scare anyone off, but well into the low six figures if this happens to go all the way to SCOTUS. To at least get the ball rolling with good speed and in good fashion, Somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000

We will be working on a fund raising "tally board" if you will, to add to the lawsuit page.

Thank you for the suggestion and the questions.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Anyone at MSI have any contacts with "Heavy Hitters"? Hell, Bob Barker gave $5 Milly to Paul Watson to save a whale. No one have David Koch's phone number? He'll find 100K under his sofa cushions. Any reach to CATO , based in DC? They are known to fund fights for individual liberty and constitutional rights. This cause just does not appear to get much traction at all from whales. That is pure speculation short of disclosure. Emily can't schmooze some big donors? Is it NRA is the exclusive go to for many? Seriously, if NRA can't dig up 100K for this battle, that is what has me question if it is worth it. Going to fight legal battles strictly on principal is a losers game.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I think the bigger point is that a lot of people refuse to put their money where their mouth is.

Everyone wants the HQL requirements overturned, but the vast majority of handgun owners are unwilling to pony up in an attempt to make it happen.

If those griping about this law have thousands of dollars for handguns, then they have 50 dollars or 500 dimes to put toward this particular cause.

Marylanders shouldn't have to go outside of Maryland to make it happen.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I think the bigger point is that a lot of people refuse to put their money where their mouth is.

Everyone wants the HQL requirements overturned, but the vast majority of handgun owners are unwilling to pony up in an attempt to make it happen.

If those griping about this law have thousands of dollars for handguns, then they have 50 dollars or 500 dimes to put toward this particular cause.

This is a fact ^^^^^^ :thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it any better.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County

Definitely this.

When I first started asking about why the HQL suit was on pause I couldn't believe it was because of money only. I thought there was some legal or strategic reason.

I think I have seen someone say that there are like 20,000 members of this forum and I know not all are active. But if half of the members (10,000) here give $10 we have funded our lawsuit $100,000 and that is a damn good start. I think this HQL suit is one of the best things we can do right now that we actually have a little control of. If this thing doesn't get going it is a crying shame and I really don't know what to think.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013

Instead of a thermometer, how about a windowed standard capacity magazine with the number of loaded rounds increasing proportional to donations received...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom