• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shekshishekki

Mar 5, 2012
    So as i understand it, it is illegal to purchase or transfer a AR-15 with a regular barrel. If it has a Bull/HBAR barrel on it, then it's still legal. Do I still have to go through the regulated firearm paperwork and wait the 8 days? or is it just like a long gun transfer now?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Illegal to transfer/purchase a non-HBAR rifle, assuming you're a MD resident. HBAR rifle is cash and carry. Just buy a complete HBAR from Engage. The price is right and they can make it light enough that you won't notice the difference.

Feb 28, 2013
    So as i understand it, it is illegal to purchase or transfer a AR-15 with a regular barrel. If it has a Bull/HBAR barrel on it, then it's still legal. Do I still have to go through the regulated firearm paperwork and wait the 8 days? or is it just like a long gun transfer now?

No more "regulated" paperwork on rifles, thanks be to the Firearms Stupidity Act. They're all cash and carry or banned.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    So what about builders? As i understand it we can have all the lowers we want as long as they get mated to a heavy upper.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    So what about builders? As i understand it we can have all the lowers we want as long as they get mated to a heavy upper.
    Quick answer is yes, though if you have a pre 10/1/13 lower you can build it you like (without the multi evil banned features).

Not sure about 10/1 and later lowers in re SBR/Pistols, but HBAR only for rifles.

IANAL / no Holiday Inn Express last night.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014

Not really. A piston operated AR can have any barrel in it. As can an AR pistol. As can an NFA SBR or MG. So I really wouldn't get to wrapped up with the whole Hbar thing. If you want a fly weight rifle there are a number of totally legal ways to do it.

additionally there's no legal definition of hbar in Maryland and no industry standard hbar.

Find a barrel or upper marketed as "heavy" and send it to adco for fluting or dimples and bam same weight as a government profile barrel

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Not really. A piston operated AR can have any barrel in it. As can an AR pistol. As can an NFA SBR or MG. So I really wouldn't get to wrapped up with the whole Hbar thing. If you want a fly weight rifle there are a number of totally legal ways to do it.

additionally there's no legal definition of hbar in Maryland and no industry standard hbar.

Find a barrel or upper marketed as "heavy" and send it to adco for fluting or dimples and bam same weight as a government profile barrel

Stringer Bell? How's economics 101 going over at Baltimore Community College? I like The Wire.

With that said, what's the rationale for saying a piston operated AR can have any barrel? I'm familiar with the 2010 MSP bulletin about interchangeability, but I'm curious if anything post FSA 2013 has come out about piston driven ARs. As of 10/2014, the Ruger SR556 is listed as banned because its a copy of the Colt AR-15....I think we know that is technically inaccurate, but nevertheless it's how MDSP lists it.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Stringer Bell? How's economics 101 going over at Baltimore Community College? I like The Wire.

With that said, what's the rationale for saying a piston operated AR can have any barrel? I'm familiar with the 2010 MSP bulletin about interchangeability, but I'm curious if anything post FSA 2013 has come out about piston driven ARs. As of 10/2014, the Ruger SR556 is listed as banned because its a copy of the Colt AR-15....I think we know that is technically inaccurate, but nevertheless it's how MDSP lists it.

The rational is that's it's not on the banned list, and the enforcement agency aknowledge piston guns are not copies of the colt ar15 not only in the original memo posted years ago but post fsa with their determination of the HK mr223 not being a copy of an ar15.

The state polices assessment that the sr556 e is a copy cat demonstrates they are incapable of doing anything more complicated than run radar on 95.

but given the official response what they feel qualify to be an hbar it should not be assumed that they have tip of the spear working for them.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    The rational is that's it's not on the banned list, and the enforcement agency aknowledge piston guns are not copies of the colt ar15 not only in the original memo posted years ago but post fsa with their determination of the HK mr223 not being a copy of an ar15.
    thing is, isn't the HK MR556 an HBAR? because whether or not they're considering piston rifles good-to-go on principle, i would think the MR556 should be fine either way (barring, you know, the deep thought that went into banning it temporarily to begin with)

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Is the HK an hbar? Nobody can tell you because there's no definition of hbar in Maryland. going by the state police definition, it's not marketed by hk as a heavy barrel so no its not an hbar.

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/products/sport/rifles/mr223-a3/mr223-a3-165/overview.html

but that really doesn't matter as their basis for it being legal is parts commonality, not being an hbar.

Weapon Selected: H & K MR556A1;
    Justification: NOT REGULATED BY STATUTE
    Date of Status: 08/05/2014
    Comments: This firearm was originally determined by the Maryland State Police to be a copy of the Colt AR-15. The determination was based on information provided by the manufacturer's website. After confirming additional information provided to the Maryland State Police, it would appear that the following internal components of the H & K MR556A1 are not interchangeable with the Colt AR-15; the bolt carrier group, upper receiver, barrel nut, barrel extension with supporting extractor, gas block, piston rod group, piston with rings therefore the H & K MR556A1 is not a copy

They are incompetent.

Running radar, seat belt and cell phone violations are really the only activities that they have proved capable of doing.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    going by the state police definition, it's not marketed by hk as a heavy barrel so no its not an hbar.
    see, i thought they DID actually promote it as having a heavy barrel. however...
    but that really doesn't matter as their basis for it being legal is parts commonality, not being an hbar.
    ...After confirming additional information provided to the Maryland State Police, it would appear that the following internal components of the H & K MR556A1 are not interchangeable with the Colt AR-15; the bolt carrier group, upper receiver, barrel nut, barrel extension with supporting extractor, gas block, piston rod group, piston with rings therefore the H & K MR556A1 is not a copy
    ...it looks like that quote confirms your stance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom