• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lunchbox

Nov 8, 2007
    AA Co.
    Check out this website... if you scroll down to the Belgian and English proof mark section you will see the ELG proof mark under both, they are slightly different... sooo according to this PDF your buddies rifle was proof marked at the Leige Proofhouse and is listed as "circa 1811-1892"... or "since 1829" depending on if its British or Belgian...

(I'm downloading that PDF its awesome)

As far as exact model... dunno yet there's got to be words stamped on that barrel somewhere I would think.... Its hard with those pictures, they aren't close up shots so I can't see much detail... if he removes the stock and takes UP CLOSE pictures of every single marking it could help identify it further.(or send him to that proof website and have him look) As it stands its probably just a .32 or 9mm and its VERY hard to find the correct ammo for it. I've been reading up on the Floberts evidently its not a good idea to use current ammo in them. They were designed for blackpowder and can't handle the power of new stuff, and could potentially use the shell as a projectile and take out an eye or something.

P.S. I don't like your friend because I want a Flobert to hang on my wall now.:D:D

Last edited:

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Mine has similar markings. My stock is cracked really bad Id like to get it fixed eventually. Yous looks like its in pretty good shape considering its age.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    More info. It looks to be a design of Pieper and it is called a Rook rifle (I think "Rook" meant rabbit in the UK or something).
    http://www.littlegun.be/arme belge/artisans identifies p/a pieper henri gb.htm

pieper%20h%20warnant%20julien%20illustration-02.jpg

It looks like your rifle was made before 1893 according to the proof mark I think:
    pieper%20h%20warnant%20julien-05.jpg

pieper%20h%20warnant%20julien%20illustration-01.jpg

By the way, I have been reading up a little bit on this guy Pieper lately. He is the one that designed the system Nagant borrowed for the 1895 Nagant revolver (they were in a cooperative of sorts with other famous inventors and they borrowed each other's designs...or something like that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom