• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Venting (and a long post), feel free to ignore or commiserate.

Earlier this year, I won an auction on Gun Broker for an EoTech 552 from a retailer in Ohio. I'm still waiting on it. I was out of town when I won the auction and didn't even realize it until I returned in May that it hadn't arrived. I contact GunBroker, they can't help, it's been too long. I contact the seller and he promises to send one right away. Wait a month, nothing, contact seller again, he promises to ship one that day. Wait a month, nothing. Contact seller again, I luckily get ahold of the owner, that the previous guy he had doing Gunbroker is no longer with the company, he verifies my payment, promises to get one out that day. I wait another month... you see where this is going. So now, anytime I'm off during the daytime, I call and raise hell. I've been doing that a lot the last few workdays since I've got a lot of time off. Pause this story, it'll come up again in a bit.

Around about Election Day, I (along with every other red-blooded Marylander, it seems) decided to expand my collection. I called the four local gun stores to see if they had a particular rifle in stock, but alas, only one did. When visiting that store (we'll call them store "A" to protect the guilty), they really did have one in stock, but I didn't feel like paying the additional 35% premium that they were asking. Fine, that's their option to charge that much for an in-demand item, it's also my option not to pay it and walk away. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of that store anyway since it's pretty far out of my way, anyhow. No big loss, I'll just wait and get one at a reasonable price from one of the more convenient shops that I prefer.

So I start calling around to my three favorite dealers in central MD, "B", "C", and "D", waiting until they get this rifle in stock. "B" doesn't have it, but promises to put me on a wait list. I don't really like a few new policies at "C" and "D", either, and choose again to vote with my wallet and wait until "B" gets this rifle in stock. The owner tells me to drop him an e-mail and he'll let me know when he gets one in stock. There's one guy ahead of me in the wait list and his is en route to the shop, but I'll be the next one on the list. I do as instructed, e-mail the owner, and await my notification that it's in and ready to be picked up.

While I'm waiting for "B" to get that rifle in stock, a couple weeks pass, and I decide to start an AR build. So I call around to see who has stripped lowers. "B" is out, but "D" has some in stock, so I head up there and buy two. The week before Thanksgiving, I drop $300 on two lowers, paid cash up front, and ask about how they will notify me. It turns out that my wait period will be over *on* Thanksgiving, but with state holidays, they may have to wait until Monday to get the "not disapproved" notification. Fine, whatever, just call me when you get that notification.

Thanksgiving comes and goes. I was off Monday and Tuesday, hoping to take the time to build up these lowers, but both days come and go with no call, then on Wednesday, I call them and hear that everything's gone through, I can come in anytime. Great, thanks for that customer service, guys. So I'm already miffed that I had to wait the extra days, but that happens.

So today, I call the company in Ohio that still owes me the EoTech 552, the owner is at lunch (around 1400) but his secretary takes my name and number, he'll call me back when he gets in. An hour later, still no call. I call back, he's still at lunch, but the secretary has my message in front of her, she'll give it to him as soon as he returns. So I continue on about my day, reminding myself to call back later.

I go to store "D", to pick up my lowers and ask the owner if they have a parts kit; I'm informed that they don't. In casual conversation with another employee at the same store a bit later in that same visit, he says that they do have some in the back. He goes back, grabs me two, I buy and leave. What kind of responsible gun shop owner remains woefully unaware of their inventory? Okay, fine, LPK aren't regulated, so you aren't legally obligated to maintain oversight of that inventory, but are you so wealthy that you can choose to choose not to sell to a willing customer?

So I leave, with lowers and parts kits in hand, and decide to call Ohio once again to see if the owner has returned from lunch yet. No, he hasn't. But he's on his way (says the secretary), he'll call as soon as he gets in.

So I'm frustrated that I had to deal with what I consider an irresponsible owner at store "D", still no EoTech, so I might as well call store "B" and see what's up with that rifle from Election Day, right?

When they pick up the phone at "B", I ask if they have that rifle in stock. I'm told that they just had a shipment of three a few days ago, but they've already sold out. The voice on the phone wasn't the owner that I'd dealt with before, so there's no sense in berating them for bad customer service. What happened to the wait list? There was one guy ahead of me, and you just sold three of them, I doubt they all went to the same person? I call back later and talk to the owner. He says that the rifle I wanted is still on backorder, there was no shipment of three, and he verifies that I'm still on the list. Okay, fine, so "B" is back in my good graces, maybe the other voice on the phone and I miscommunicated something.

Come on, people! What reason do I have to support my local dealers if I get this kind of service? Nobody is getting their stories straight! Do you have parts kits or not? Is that rifle in stock or not? So at the end of the day, I'm getting screwed by this company in Ohio, and I have little reason to do more business with the locals because they don't even know what their own stock situations look like!

-----

Okay, fine. I've had time to breathe now and write something like a dozen paragraphs on this issue. Overall, this is all relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. After all the threads about it, these are things I expect from some place like Select Fire - I've never been there, but I hear horrible things about it. These stores I've gone to have great reputations. Is it really such a seller's market these days that owners can get away with not caring about consumers anymore?

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    It's situations like this that scares beginning gun owners from me away. I was lucky to meet Dan at Gun Connection on the forums and will continue to travel the extra distance just to do business with him. It's sad, but true that there are very few decent gun shops in MD....period. I just started getting into this hobby and its been tough.
    You would think dealers would go out of their way to entice more new customers right? I'm talking about even before the elections. I can't imagine how customer service is now after the elections.

I must say, between Dan's help and suggestions and the whole crew on this forum, its been a great experience for a first time owner like me.

Thanks everyone!

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    May I whine? Thank you.

I am bemused by what appears to be a contradiction between the views expressed here about Gun Connection's customer service and my personal experience. Is anyone else? My PM and e-mail are open.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    May I whine? Thank you.

I am bemused by what appears to be a contradiction between the views expressed here about Gun Connection's customer service and my personal experience. Is anyone else? My PM and e-mail are open.

Define "the views expressed here" for me. I've named no names.

Are you talking about the forum at large or the post above yours from DizzyV6P?

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Define "the views expressed here" for me. I've named no names. Are you talking about the forum at large or the post above yours from DizzyV6P?

The forum at large. I'm not thinking of any one particular user's opinion.

Let me amend what I said to read "here on the forum".

Shortly, last time I walked in there I had $500 burning a hole in my wallet and I still had it when I walked out. I don't see a point in spending money when someone who works there is making it plain he thinks I'm an annoyance and goes out of his way to let others know it. There are other stores closer and friendlier, so the money's been spent where they don't wish I'd just go away.

And as a wise man once said, "That's all I'm gonna say about that."

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    It's situations like this that scares beginning gun owners from me away. I was lucky to meet Dan at Gun Connection on the forums and will continue to travel the extra distance just to do business with him. It's sad, but true that there are very few decent gun shops in MD....period. I just started getting into this hobby and its been tough.
    You would think dealers would go out of their way to entice more new customers right? I'm talking about even before the elections. I can't imagine how customer service is now after the elections.

I must say, between Dan's help and suggestions and the whole crew on this forum, its been a great experience for a first time owner like me.

Thanks everyone!

+1.......I have had 100% positive experiences at Gun Connection. I go past at least 5 other shops to do buisness with him.

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    It's sad, but true that there are very few decent gun shops in MD....period.

That's very true. Some of the best guns around I never even knew existed until I moved out of state because Maryland gun stores didn't stock them (or couldn't because of the "approved" list). The gun rags didn't write about them, either, and this was way before the internet existed. Coming back to Maryland and going to the gun stores just to look around is depressing for what they don't stock.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    My gun deal is not complete yet I still have to pick up and waitfor paper work
    but I have nothing But great things to say about Dan at Gun Connection

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    When they pick up the phone at "B", I ask if they have that rifle in stock. I'm told that they just had a shipment of three a few days ago, but they've already sold out. The voice on the phone wasn't the owner that I'd dealt with before, so there's no sense in berating them for bad customer service. What happened to the wait list? There was one guy ahead of me, and you just sold three of them, I doubt they all went to the same person? I call back later and talk to the owner. He says that the rifle I wanted is still on backorder, there was no shipment of three, and he verifies that I'm still on the list. Okay, fine, so "B" is back in my good graces, maybe the other voice on the phone and I miscommunicated something.

If that was today, I was there and could here the employee's side of the conversation as well as the answer Dan gave her and that was definitely a miscommunication. The employee never said anything about three having come in and were already sold.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    The forum at large. I'm not thinking of any one particular user's opinion.

Let me amend what I said to read "here on the forum".

Shortly, last time I walked in there I had $500 burning a hole in my wallet and I still had it when I walked out. I don't see a point in spending money when someone who works there is making it plain he thinks I'm an annoyance and goes out of his way to let others know it. There are other stores closer and friendlier, so the money's been spent where they don't wish I'd just go away.

And as a wise man once said, "That's all I'm gonna say about that."

The way I here the story told, you get treated the way you act. Remember that getting respect includes giving respect, some people believe they can walk in some place and because they are a customer they can act any way they want. I have news for you, when you are in another mans house you don't pee on the carpet and then tell them why they should let you.

Give it another go if you want but remember to act like your a guest in another mans place of business and if you don't like something they sell, keep it to yourself and buy what you like.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    In my experience, all gun shops are A-holes. At least at first.

Before anyone jumps on me for that statement, there's a reason for the gruff attitude you get. If they were as friendly and obliging as your local drug store, all kinds of "unsavory types" would be in and out of there all day, handling weapons, dry-firing them, pointing them around the shop, making the place less of a good atmosphere for "real" customers. Additionally, gun shops are under siege from the media and the liberal community. It's no surprise that they're not "eager" to sell anything to anyone.

Now some of these gun shops cross the line from gruff and disinterested to outright A-hole-ism. But most will give you better service if you:

- Are known to shop there/have bought something there. This means a lot because they know you're not just window-shopping or wasting their time.
    - Know what you're talking about. Someone who knows a thing or two about firearms and can chat a little is likely to get better treatment than someone who walks off the street and says, "Yo, is dat a Glock, man??"
    - Are known to be affiliated with a gun community or organization, as is the case with Gun Connection and MD Shooters.

Otherwise, you may get some rough treatment until they start to trust you. Just part of the deal. It's not because they're mean-spirited...they're serious because guns are serious.

Now's not the best time to be building AR15s, to tell the truth. The gun-shops know that if you're worried about Obama, you should've been buying months, if not years, ago, and if you're not worried about him, then you should be waiting until the "madness", the price gouging and the supply shortages, dies down, since he's not gonna "ban-em-all" on his first day in office.

Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    +1 for most of Squirrels message.

Not all gun shops are A-Holes. It has to do with how you come across as. Most of the stores treat all customers with the initial "Hi", "I'll be right with you", or "Let us know if you need any help". If you come in and try to tell the clerk that he knows nothing about firearms, and you are the walking encyclopedia of guns, then you will probably have a problem. It's like 3rd said, don't go into someone's house and try to be "the man". Your points about buying stuff, doing a little homework, and joining organizations go a long way in helping establish a rapport with the shop.

As for the initial post on the thread, I can feel for you. Not being able to get stuff you want when you want is a pain the the a$$. But with regard to the shipment that came in and was sold out (three rifles, and you were supposed to be #2), yes the shop could have maybe set it up differently (i.e. leave a small deposit to lock the order to you, or something), but with the craziness going on since the election, most shops work on the money in hand method, versus the possible backing out at the last minute for the phone call orders. Yes, they could resell it, but the time delay may make them have to wait longer for their distributor to get them replacement rifles (they are in the same boat as you are with their distributors). If you are lucky, and a regular with the shop, they may hold one for you.

I think I can speak for most of the board that customers and gun shops are feeling the frustration and apprehension of the temporary lack of inventory and whether the inventory will be replenished before any "feel good" laws are enacted.

Give the shops another try, and get involved with pro-gun organizations so that this panic buying doesn't/won't happen again.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    The way I here the story told, you get treated the way you act. Remember that getting respect includes giving respect, some people believe they can walk in some place and because they are a customer they can act any way they want. I have news for you, when you are in another mans house you don't pee on the carpet and then tell them why they should let you.

Give it another go if you want but remember to act like your a guest in another mans place of business and if you don't like something they sell, keep it to yourself and buy what you like.

I don't think you got an accurate version of events. I really, really don't recall being rude at all. I wasn't raised to be rude and it doesn't come easily to me.

Also, it started before I asked to see the item I made a remark about. It had been made obvious I was interrupting some important paperwork. Then someone else behind me was asked, "You with him?", apparently to make it clear I was being a nuisance.

IMO the only one there with any clue about what to do with a customer is the kid in the blue hoodie. He's got good salesman instincts.

Last edited:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Now some of these gun shops cross the line from gruff and disinterested to outright A-hole-ism. But most will give you better service if you:

- Are known to shop there/have bought something there. This means a lot because they know you're not just window-shopping or wasting their time.
    - Know what you're talking about. Someone who knows a thing or two about firearms and can chat a little is likely to get better treatment than someone who walks off the street and says, "Yo, is dat a Glock, man??"
    - Are known to be affiliated with a gun community or organization, as is the case with Gun Connection and MD Shooters.

The first two are why I'm not only comfortable but welcomed at my favorite toy store. That being the case, and seeing as they can get just about anything I want, and since I seem to have committed a sacrilege by suggesting that someone's sacred cow might give sour milk from time to time, I think I'll just stick with the tried-and-true. And drop out of this discussion.

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    I make no bones about who ive bought from and whom ive been treated poorly by and ive had the worst expierences buying in Harford co and thats why ive been traveling to Hal's but ive heard nothing but good things about Gun connection and not only here but from friends and co workers who buy from Dan. I rarely get near White Marsh and the 1 time i stopped by they were not open yet. If hired help treat you poorly or what you percieve to be poorly thats something you should address with the owner. Not everyone cares about their job or the business they work for as much as the owner and they are nothing more than help. Perhaps theres more to the story or maybe the guy was having a bad day but talking to the owner is the adult thing to do. You can never please everyone and alot of people think being a customer means they can act like a clown because they ''might'' spend some money. If you think you were treated poorly drive up to Fallston and you will see what true b.s. is.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    In my experience, all gun shops are A-holes.

That being said, there's a reason for the gruff attitude you get. If they were as friendly and obliging as your local drug store, all kinds of "unsavory types" would be in and out of there all day, handling weapons, dry-firing them, pointing them around the shop, making the place less of a good atmosphere for "real" customers. Additionally, gun shops are under siege from the media and the liberal community. It's no surprise that they're not "eager" to sell anything to anyone.

Otherwise, you may get some rough treatment until they start to trust you.

The gun shop buisness is indeed made more difficult due to over regulation, and media bias. Due to the nature of the buisness owners and employees have to constantly be on guard for people casing the place, robberies, some idiot reporter's "expose", and sting operations conducted by any number of LEO and non-LEO groups, or customers damaging expensive inventory. That however is no excuse for poor customer service, and it is just plain wrong to turn away, or mistreat customers that are new to firearms, ignorant to the RKBA, expect customers to "prove themselves" before they can expect to be treated well, or lack technical knowledge of their product.

Thing is that good employees, knowledge of a product, and good service are expensive, and makes it about impossible for a good shop to compete for price shoppers aggainst a big box store paying workers a few bucks an hour with minimal training and knowledge of their product. The fact that people mostly look at price before they look at service has basically destroyed most small buisnesses, and boosted the big box stores to billion dollar monopolies, but there are still some holdouts, and those people deserve our buisness. They may not be able to match the prices of big retailers, but you are more likely to get what you want, get better help in choosing a gun, and if something goes wrong instead of calling some hotline in India, you have a person to help you handle everything. In many cases this actually costs you less in the long run than the cheaper gun sold by some kid working part time in housewares.

There is still a big market left for people who understand the value of treating customers right, and with so many inept and complacent retailers and shops around, that market is ripe for the picking, and just offering a little more than the next shop can build a buisness and generate a huge success.

There are very few shops that I dealt with in MD, and a few people that I bought dozens of guns from time and time again, gladly spending thousands, and feeling good about every purchase. Mostly with Tyrone at on-target , Jeff at Just Guns, and the folks at white marsh and Continental. Unortunately, I found Gun Connection a little too late, and basically made a single purchase before I moved to PA, but dealing with Dan was great, he genuinely cares, and knows his stuff. With any personal dealings, there are sure to be a few people who clash for one reason or another, and sometimes mistakes are made by even the best, the measure of how good they actually are, and how much they value your buisness is in how they fix the mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom