• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I originally saw this on the Sportsman Channel. Leupold has a new red dot called the LCO. 5 year battery life, Leupold glass, 1 MOA dot. They also have a new optic called the D-EVO. It's a 6x scope. What's interesting is you can combine the two into one optic. http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/...cals-for-your-carbine-the-leupold-d-evo-wlco/ This puts a red dot on the top, lower your head a touch and you have a 6x scope. The combo is $2999.99, and you can buy the two separately.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Wonder how it avoids getting chipped, especially if overgassed. Hangs awfully close to the ejection port.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The magnified optic uses 3.2" of rail space, the red dot fits right in to the slot in front of the optic. This is a much smaller setup than my current 1-4x scope on my 3-gun rifle. Lighter, too. If the combo were half the price, I'd get one. FWIW, $3000 is MSRP, I'm sure in about a year the price will come down.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I'd rather have the Elcan 1/3/9 for the money.

Yep. Makes more sense to me.

Wonder how it avoids getting chipped, especially if overgassed. Hangs awfully close to the ejection port.

Brass is soft. Reports I read on cases banging off it stated that it wasn't an issue, same thing that happens to the case deflector on the upper...nothing! Residue can be removed, but it's not going to damage the optic.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Good point. Just found it odd to engineer a wear pattern into an optic.

I suppose other draft configurations proved less effective for one reason or another.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    LCO looks like the XPS2 for 2.5x more money. It's more money than Aimpoint CompM4/M4s. I see a grim future for LCO sales.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    LCO looks like the XPS2 for 2.5x more money. It's more money than Aimpoint CompM4/M4s. I see a grim future for LCO sales.

I don't understand what makes it better and Leupold isn't saying much about why I'd want it over an EOTech, especially since the D-EVO is available standalone and is really the game-changer here.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Eotech does not have a 5-year battery life, the Leupold does.

That doesn't warrant 2x MSRP over an EXPS3. Auto-wake and competent auto-off based on host firearm movement, longer battery life, clearer optics, better construction (single crystal vs lenses), and brightness memory would warrant increased MSRP certainly, maybe even 2x! Though I don't see reports of any of that from Leupold.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Eotech does not have a 5-year battery life, the Leupold does.

That's because the Leupold is reflective with a tinted window. The EOTech is holographic with a crystal clear window. If you look closely, what's inside the LCO is a typical pistol-type red dot (modified version of Leupold's DeltaPoint). Those types of red dots stink for rifles because of parallax and fishbowl effect.

If you really want that type of red dot for a rifle, there are plenty of other choices for one half to one third the price. Better yet, forget about being different and buy an Aimpoint PRO on sale for $360 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom