• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    That sounds pretty good to me. I am all for working hard, but imagine there is a lot of weekend work involved. With young kids, that would be tough.

salopez

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt airy Md
    wow....that was the longest online application process that I have ever used.

not saying I am qualified...just throwing my hat in the ring...what's the worst that can happen.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I was looking the other day and saw that LWRC was hiring for multiple positions in Cambridge. Looked like you just sent in a resume and cover letter and they contacted you if they wanted to take it further.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I hate the way private sector jobs usually refuse to list a salary range. All I ask for is a range so that I'm not wasting my time or theirs applying for a job where our financial compensation requirements are completely incompatible.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I hate the way private sector jobs usually refuse to list a salary range. All I ask for is a range so that I'm not wasting my time or theirs applying for a job where our financial compensation requirements are completely incompatible.

It's sales. Outside sales =commission.

You make as much or as little as you want. Kind of.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    But is there a base salary or is it commission only? If there is a base salary, how much? How about a car or is mileage reimbursed? It would just make life easier if companies would be upfront with prospective applicants.

Everything is negotiable. Doesn't usually matter if there is a base salary or not. If there is a base, they lower the commission plan, if it is straight commission, you get a bigger slice. Sounds like it is an established territory selling to government agencies; police and fire rescue. There is probably enough existing business in something like that where you wouldn't starve. Most jobs like that promise around 100k if you are doing what they want you to do. In reality, some guys are probably higher than that, the majority probably make 50-70k and there are some who are eating Alpo and walking around with copies of their resumes with them.

Asking for someone to be upfront about how much a sales job they are hiring for pays is like asking Hillary to come clean about Benghazi.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Asking for someone to be upfront about how much a sales job they are hiring for pays is like asking Hillary to come clean about Benghazi.

Which is one of the reasons I was never so happy to get out of the sales rep business; promises of unrealistic commissions that amounted to snowballs in August, and companies always trying to manipulate the commission plan trying to chisel their reps out of money. Then there was always the joy of having a blowout quarter and making decent money, only to have some douche nozzle sales manager set a target expecting me to do the same + 20% the next quarter. :rolleyes:

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Which is one of the reasons I was never so happy to get out of the business; promises of unrealistic commissions that amounted to snowballs in August. Then there was always the joy of having a blowout quarter and making decent money, only to have some douche nozzle sales manager set a target expecting me to do the same + 20% the next quarter. :rolleyes:

Always stay in the middle of the herd and sandbag. Once you are on top of the big board, you get more pressure than the people with one foot out the door.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    They have nice stuff, but I imagine that it would be tough selling to LE/Fire/EMS unless you know something about those fields. If you can sell and you have experience in one of these fields and know some people, I imagine you could make good money.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    They have nice stuff, but I imagine that it would be tough selling to LE/Fire/EMS unless you know something about those fields. If you can sell and you have experience in one of these fields and know some people, I imagine you could make good money.

Not only that, but consider Fed and local governments are flat ass broke these days. Then there is dealing with the horrible arduous government procurement process. That alone is enough to make the most sane person want to rip their hair out.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not only that, but consider Fed and local governments are flat ass broke these days. Then there is dealing with the horrible arduous government procurement process. That alone is enough to make the most sane person want to rip their hair out.

I'm sure 5.11 has their own federal/government sales dept. Salesmen don't hit the road knocking on those doors.
    The description said this was retail sales territory responsible for marketing and getting business.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I'm sure 5.11 has their own federal/government sales dept. Salesmen don't hit the road knocking on those doors.
    The description said this was retail sales territory responsible for marketing and getting business.

They sure as hell do. I've done it.

What, do you think gov just puts out procurement requests on places like fedbizopps then takes the lowest bidder? That's cute if you do. Most "bid" requests put out by government are already awarded before the bid is published, they just go through the motions to keep up appearances.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I am sure it is a salaried job with bonus/commission and likely expense account. If you have to travel you'll likely get a company vehicle or get paid mileage. This is something I would love to do if I didn't have a career already. Imagine all of the swag you would accumulate. lol

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I've known a couple of guys who had that job. I dealt them when I was buying for the PD and we see them all the time in the uniform shop here.

HIGH pressure from above, sales expectations that some consider unreasonable and lots of turnover.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    they turned me down...boo hoo....

How did they turn you down? Did they contact you and interview or were you shot down before that?

Problem with a lot of companies is that they hire people who do not have a genuine interest in what is being sold. Knowing and liking what you sell makes a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom