Can you teach me to install replacement windows?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I'd like to replace a few windows, so I dutifully looked at several YouTube videos and determined that it's not difficult. However, because I'm not stupid, I realize that those DIY Replacement Window videos are LYING TO ME.

Rather than have my better half come home to find a giant hole in the side of the house rather than a new replacement window (which would be followed by divorce, I'm sure), I'd like to "learn from a pro", as it were, before deciding if I want to handle the rest on my own.

I'm fairly handy with tools and make an excellent helper.

I'm happy to pay a reasonable rate for your time. That said, if I could afford professional installation at $100/window (seems to be the going rate), I would, but I can't, so I'm really quite serious about being shown how it's done.

I'm in Crofton. Please shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks.

-Rob

Dave21042

Feb 17, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    How old is your house or current windows? What type of window? I did mine about 12 years ago, it was not hard. They were the original windows built with the house in 1959. I replaced about 21 double hung, single pain windows.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Depends on what's in there to start with. If you have the old wooden windows its easy. Pull the sashes and stop beads out and place the new window.

The trick is measuring. Replacement windows are custom made, measure wrong and you're buying a new window.

I did replacements for years, sold and installed hundreds of Acadia windows.

Next question is where are you buying windows from? I'd go with a company that's been in business for a long time because sooner or later you'll need the warranty and parts. Be aware that HD and Lowes change suppliers often. Good luck finding parts through them.

somddude

Has a big Member
    Mar 14, 2010
    Brandywine, Marylandistan
    Most window installs are easy. Especially wooden ones, aluminum gets trickier. It's the finishing that takes more tools and experience, i.e capping them with aluminum coilstock. Shop around for your windows, sometimes an excellent window is not much more than just a good window, and will pay the difference in price quickly by saving more energy.

Check the u-value, the lower the better. U value is a ratio of r-value, 1 divided by the r-value. A window with an r value of 4 has a u of .25, an r value of 3, u value .33, etc...

Depending on timing, I might be able to help you out, though I'm pretty busy.

somddude

Has a big Member
    Mar 14, 2010
    Brandywine, Marylandistan
    ^This.

I did my windows 3 years ago. The front of my house is brick, so I needed to measure tight. One window was almost too tight, I barely got it in.

Remove the sashes, dish soap, rubber mallet. Ask me how I know, lol.
    I've worked for a couple guys doing windows, one measures them too tight, I've taken a circular saw to a vinyl frame before :sad20:
    The other guy always had them so loose they were a pain to trim and caulk. And every few jobs he'd flip his width and height. Oops. Always double check your window size versus opening size BEFORE you remove the old window. I've seen it all.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Although I did not install them myself, I could appreciate the good work done by the guys that measured and installed the windows I used in a rental property a couple of years back. I used a local window company (Simonton), and bought their Reflections 5500 series windows, with their solar system glass treatment, I think Krypton gas, and super seals. The front of the home faces the sun so I selected a different glass treatment versus the back which is in shade. The windows were measured very tight and custom ordered from the local factory. They were ready in a week or so and the guys that installed them really took their time, and did an impressive job.

I would never have believed it, but my utility costs (house is all electric, heat pump..) were cut by over 30% year to year. With the old windows, my poor heat pump would be on emergency supplementary heat (expensive... $$$) pretty much all of the time on brutally cold days, and I could not keep some rooms warm due to how crappy the old windows were.

This particular home is now soooo much more comfortable due to the replacement windows and good installation. You can for sure ruin the potential of a great window by doing a shoddy job on the install, so whatever you decide, do it right and don't scrimp on the caulk or other materials needed to do a primo job.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    The responses are all appreciated. I'm going to be installing nothing better than builder grade and I guess I'm just generally a cheap bastard, so that's really why I was considering not hiring someone to do it.

That said, one of the windows I want to do first is the main living room window. It's not a bow or bay, but it's roughly 70x58. I assume it's one unit, but it's divided into three "separate" windows (by which I mean, it has three separate sliding bits that go up and down). Could it possibly be that those are three individual windows sandwiched together (there really isn't anything visible between them), or is it, in fact, one unit?

I guess I'll find out.

-Rob

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Interested in doing this as well. I have always been confused by the measuring part. Any tips? Where exactly do you measure?

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    ...one of the windows I want to do first is the main living room window. It's not a bow or bay, but it's roughly 70x58. I assume it's one unit, but it's divided into three "separate" windows (by which I mean, it has three separate sliding bits that go up and down). Could it possibly be that those are three individual windows sandwiched together (there really isn't anything visible between them), or is it, in fact, one unit?

I guess I'll find out.

-Rob

I found out (thanks, google).

Three mullioned windows. Now I have absolutely no faith in my ability to get that done properly inside of a day. Off to find a pro.

Anyone know an affordable window installer?

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom