• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I would try a coat of Renaissance Wax.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I want to put a coating of wax over a coating of wax. I will see what I get when it arrives. From the pictures, it looks like the wax will need to come off. I will try some denatured alcohol (someone suggested repeated very light applications of Simple Green) and then oil the stock with tung oil.

Jul 1, 2012
    Renaissance Wax is a crystalline wax and designed as a preservative/sealer. I don't think it will "cut" the Waxoyl. It really might be worth finding a beater stock(s) or similar type of wood and soaking it in Waxoyl and then experimenting before messing with Crestie.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Renaissance Wax is a crystalline wax and designed as a preservative/sealer. I don't think it will "cut" the Waxoyl. It really might be worth finding a beater stock(s) or similar type of wood and soaking it in Waxoyl and then experimenting before messing with Crestie.

I've read some comprehensive furniture restoration literature in which the author stated that a new coating of Renaissance Wax will dissolve and remove a hardened coating of Renaissance Wax that was left on too long before being buffed.

Your idea about testing it on a beater stock is not a bad idea, but finding and buying one, buying waxoyl, etc. may be a lot of hassle/expense. Of course, if I ruin the Crested One, I'll be pissed. I don't think that applying a small amount of mineral spirits on the stock will damage it.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    I would try eating fried chicken then with your greasy finger rub it on the stock. Then wipe off.
    This stuff cuts through anything.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    I know nothing about this product......but going on the premise that heat melts wax, I might try the same procedure used by some to remove Cosmolene....i.e.....

Black plastic trash bag laid flat, old towel on the bottom, remove all wood from the piece, place it in the bag on the towel, and place in the hot Sun. The Heat may melt your problem away????? Cost: nothing.

R

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I picked her up today and I could not be more wowed. There is not a dent on the stock, and I don't think she's seen a bullet since she left inspection. The rear sight has been upgraded for the S bullet and I believe that the rear sight leaf and spring bear the last two digits of its serial number - 24. I am definitely going to remove the wax from the stock though. I can tell that it will get tacky in the heat. Doubt I will ever shoot this one.

2f0724c97dc880a5e2ee62d08c815be9.jpg

189a5866fec81090ed94cf80454674c0.jpg

2a6c56e78356be2917474a806f755e09.jpg

852891584fdbcddb83c2231636f5e390.jpg

375e010b6e323c5494931fe78a27384f.jpg

487dfa2a09a7a5c93f86e4b96ce114a5.jpg

114584b8d53c554a4fe7963ff7888e61.jpg

c0ceca7bf0b64a6c581407f7fa000376.jpg

62c83d5bd9c441362a8916df6d220041.jpg

8c7a935b77f6378c9d749122b93e6547.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    That is an absolute beauty, how it escaped being ground I have no idea, mine is just like that one but with a ground crest, you really scored!

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    Maybe I missed this, but how do you know that the stock was treated with the product named "WaxOyl"? it just seems so counterintuitive that someone would use an automotive undercoating product on a firearm as nice as this one.

In scouring the web, I came across something called "Wax Oil". It was sold as a wood floor finishing product, combining the beauty of an oil finish with wax protection. That made me wonder if you are sure about the WaxOYL label.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Maybe I missed this, but how do you know that the stock was treated with the product named "WaxOyl"? it just seems so counterintuitive that someone would use an automotive undercoating product on a firearm as nice as this one.

In scouring the web, I came across something called "Wax Oil". It was sold as a wood floor finishing product, combining the beauty of an oil finish with wax protection. That made me wonder if you are sure about the WaxOYL label.

Because the seller told me that waxoyl had been applied. He knew exactly what it was - described it as "basically an expensive car wax".

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Was this rifle the specimen you were shooting before you brought out the M1 today? If so, it was spectacular from 15' away. My wife mentioned that her Ethan Allen coffee table didn't look that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom