• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Here is a quote from the article:

He (DC Delegate Wells) said he “would not hesitate” to model the city’s law on New York or Maryland — both known as “may issue” states, where officials exercise significant discretion in granting permits.

... That would be a sad outcome. Essentially, only a handful of people would be able to carry. Practically a de facto ban like Maryland with many years of ensuing litigation ensuring a stalemate/status quo situation.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Gura stated if DC tries a may issue model, he'll drag them back into court. Sculin's words in his ruling would seem to preclude a may issue system. that certainly won't stop DC from more game playing and delays like Chicago did.

From the same article:

Alan Gura, the gun-rights attorney who represents the Palmer plaintiffs, said if the District models its new law on Maryland’s, “That would guarantee further litigation.”

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    From the article:

"“It’s not as simple as, you have a license to carry in Wyoming so we’ll let you carry here,” Mendelson said. “Our residents don’t have the experience — the culture, if you will — round gun ownership that you have in rural states. We’re an urban jurisdiction, and our attitude toward guns is different than, say, Texas.”

I guess Mendelson has conveniently forgotten that Texas has 4 of the top 11 most populous cities in the nation? All of which have lower crime rates than DC, Baltimore, or Chicago.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    From the article:

"“It’s not as simple as, you have a license to carry in Wyoming so we’ll let you carry here,” Mendelson said. “Our residents don’t have the experience — the culture, if you will — round gun ownership that you have in rural states. We’re an urban jurisdiction, and our attitude toward guns is different than, say, Texas.”

I guess Mendelson has conveniently forgotten that Texas has 4 of the top 11 most populous cities in the nation? All of which have lower crime rates than DC, Baltimore, or Chicago.

...and many American's didn't have experience with African-Americans in their schools until Brown v. Board of Education, and you know what, they had to get over it, in a hurry, because having a different "attitude" is not a reason to deny Constitutional rights.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Oh, and over 85% of the statewide population in Texas lives in urban areas:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409320473.088317.jpg

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Yes of course but res ajudica should not apply as the dispute concerns non residents. It just another way to get to scotus assuming DC folds. And of course there is still CA...and HI.

You're not barred from applying for a MD permit right now. CA you have a point there.

Campfire

Apr 21, 2012
    Kansas
    From the article:

It's like they've never heard of Virginia.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    It's like they've never heard of Virginia.

LOL.

Imagine if a Wyoming official made following statement: "We are a rural jurisdiction, and so our attitudes toward equal rights are different then they would be in an urban area."

Or insert any other fundamental right into the sentence and imagine the outrage it would stir.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    LOL.

Imagine if a Wyoming official made following statement: "We are a rural jurisdiction, and so our attitudes toward equal rights are different then they would be in an urban area."

Or insert any other fundamental right into the sentence and imagine the outrage it would stir.

Best line ever from a liberal friend of mine who thinks gun laws are not tight enough, but has no problem buying weed, when the subject of crime came up: Of course there is no crime in Wyoming everyone has a gun.

Every time Wyoming or Montana comes up I think of him.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just an FYI but I looked on PACER this am and no Notice of Appeal from DC. IF they're appealing then that will have to rely on FRAP Rule 4. 30 days is up for them...

I think DC is covered on the notice to appeal clock until the judge rules on the motion for reconsideration. Once the Judge denies that, the 30 clock starts.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My favorite is that the city argued both that the district is too dangerous to allow more guns on the streets, and also that the police do such a good job protecting people that no one needs to be armed. :sad20:

Hmmm, I guess DC has forgotten that they won the decision in Warren v DC from back in 1981, that held that the police have no duty to protect citizens... :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom