• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    My aging and decrepit unit finally gave it up, so I'm looking for something that's accurate at least to 0.1 grains. I reload for rifle and pistol calibers... 9mm, 45ACP, 223, and 308. Probably 38/357 and other rifle calibers in the future. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks, does this scale measure in grains too, or just grams? That was one of the criticisms I had of my last scale. I could do the calculation, but it's just sort of a pita...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing to watch is that digital scales need calibrating and checking to make sure they are showing the right weigh. So you end up having to deal with little tiny scale check weights.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Yikes! I was thinking of spending about half that. I got my last scale as a lab cast off from one of the places I used to work. I thought Dillon had a decent scale for under $100 but I can't seem to find it online. I reload on a 550B and just need the scale to periodically check the charges being thrown. Thanks again...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Have any of your with digital scales actually checked them with scale check weights?

My RCBS Chargemaster will drift if not allowed to "warm up" by being one for at least 30 minutes.

And if left on an extended period of time (more than a day) it can drift 2 - 3 tenths of a grain.

Dec 31, 2012

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Have any of your with digital scales actually checked them with scale check weights?

My RCBS Chargemaster will drift if not allowed to "warm up" by being one for at least 30 minutes.

And if left on an extended period of time (more than a day) it can drift 2 - 3 tenths of a grain.

Good point, my reloading room is in the basement that was finished after the house was built. The heating/cooling system wasn't designed to provide much or either to the basement.

I always turn the room lights on and the scale 30 to 60 min before I plan to start. The room temp changes several degrees during the course of a long reloading session. I calibrate every day and on a cold day I may recalibrate every 30 to 60 minutes until I am sure there is no drift.

I have both a Chargemaster and the 1st generation RCBS electronic scale. Checking one against the other, I find no variance, but then I assume drift will happen in the first 30 min and wait until I consider them stable.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a Dillon 1200 grain electronic and I never use it. It is way to sensitive with any air moving in my shop.
    I still use my old RCBS 10-10 balance beam and the funny part is, It can be 30° or 100° in my shop and it never needs to be plugged in before hand, it never needs warmed up for 30 min or a day before I want to use it. No batterys to go dead,
    I don't have to ever up grade the software or make a trip to McDonalds to get a special straw so it works kinna sorta better or find just the correct piece of a ball point pen that will help it throw and measure Varget powder.
    Its just mechanical and it works very well every time.
    Coop

bowoah

GlockBlock
    Jul 1, 2014
    PG County
    My aging and decrepit unit finally gave it up, so I'm looking for something that's accurate at least to 0.1 grains. I reload for rifle and pistol calibers... 9mm, 45ACP, 223, and 308. Probably 38/357 and other rifle calibers in the future. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gas stations around here have them

Nimbus

Nov 16, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Jennings JSVG20

I've been using this one for a few years. There have been a few times where it has started to have to a floating variation of between 0.05-0.15 grains and then retain that variation between measurements. For example the measuring cup weighs 39.45 grains, so when it is taken off the scale the scale should display -39.45, it may read -39.55 with the cup removed and then when the cup is replaced it settles back at zero retaining a possible discrepancy. When that has occurred a recalibration has solved it for me.

When I bought it this website had the best price: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/jennings-jscale-jsvg20.html

It is now cheaper on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Jennings-JSVG...p/B004C3I2GK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Amazon has a few reviewers who could not get the scale to give a reliable measurement, it sounds like one reviewer was having the same or similar issue that I have had, but for them a recalibration did not solve the problem.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Dillon 1200 grain electronic and I never use it. It is way to sensitive with any air moving in my shop.
    I still use my old RCBS 10-10 balance beam and the funny part is, It can be 30° or 100° in my shop and it never needs to be plugged in before hand, it never needs warmed up for 30 min or a day before I want to use it. No batterys to go dead,
    I don't have to ever up grade the software or make a trip to McDonalds to get a special straw so it works kinna sorta better or find just the correct piece of a ball point pen that will help it throw and measure Varget powder.
    Its just mechanical and it works very well every time.
    Coop

Yeap, old school is better for several things. Like this.

I find my Dillon mechanical scale is also faster to check that I am throwing the right charge. Just look at the pointer, it is clear if you are low, high or spot on.

The one place I use a digital scale for powder is the Chargemaster. SO much more convenient for weighing every charge for precision rifle rounds.

But the one place where digital is better is when trying to weigh a number of things, like bullets or cases.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    But the one place where digital is better is when trying to weigh a number of things, like bullets or cases.

This. I reload mostly on a Dillon 550B, but will probably get a single stage press at some point when I get more into reloading for my Remington 700 prone rifle. (308). I'll probably want to weigh bullets, cases, and individual charges.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I like having both a mechanical and a digital. Proper tool for the job.

When loading on my Dillon, I throw a charge in the pan (or dump a case) and throw it on the scale, the pointers show right or not quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom