• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm looking at a rifle that has a coating of waxoyl on the wood. This one is a very collectible piece, and wood that has been permanently damaged will significantly impact value. Waxoyl is a rust preventative - basically, it's a wax suspended in a petroleum distillate, like mineral spirits, that evaporates when applied, leaving a coating of the wax particles. It appears to be used mostly in the automotive industry - often sprayed on the undercarriage as an underbody treatment. I've searched the forums and found only a few references to it - all of them relating to using it as an alternative to gun oil/WD-40 and the like. From what I've read on the car forums, it's a nightmare to remove. I believe that it can be removed with mineral spirits. I've used mineral spirits on my SKS to remove cosmoline, but I was working on a stock that had been used to drive fence posts by the Chinese army so I wasn't too worried about what it did to the stock.

Has anyone come up against waxoyl? If so, I have to believe it soaks into the pores of the wood. Is it removable?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Don't know about Waxoyl, I do know that mineral spirits with cause original finishes on vintage Winchesters to cloud, separate, crack, etc. Depending on what finish was originally on the gun you are looking at there may be damage under the coating.
    Pretty much the only treatment recommended any more for vintage guns is
    Renaissance Wax.

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    Waxoyl was a highly touted product in the British sports car community. I think I first came across it in England. Sold with a pump sprayer sort of thing that you inserted into holes drilled into the frame to spray waxoyl inside of the frame channel. You were to spray it anywhere salt laden water could get in. (This of course was before unibody construction - we're talking separate frame and body here.) Made an unholy mess until it solidified, and even then on a hot day (rare in England) it would melt and drip.

Cannot imagine this being used on a firearm, especially on wooden parts. Gad.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Waxoyl was a highly touted product in the British sports car community. I think I first came across it in England. Sold with a pump sprayer sort of thing that you inserted into holes drilled into the frame to spray waxoyl inside of the frame channel. You were to spray it anywhere salt laden water could get in. (This of course was before unibody construction - we're talking separate frame and body here.) Made an unholy mess until it solidified, and even then on a hot day (rare in England) it would melt and drip.

Cannot imagine this being used on a firearm, especially on wooden parts. Gad.

So, do you think that it would permanently damage the wood? The walnut is/was oil finished, so you would that would give some protection against infiltration of the wax, but I have to believe that it has adversely affected the finish.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    So, do you think that it would permanently damage the wood? The walnut is/was oil finished, so you would that would give some protection against infiltration of the wax, but I have to believe that it has adversely affected the finish.

If it was an original oil finish I would have to think the Waxoyl has soaked in to some extent, oil finishes while pretty are not the most durable.

Jul 1, 2012
    I don't know anything about this stuff, but in general car wax -including carnuba wax contains acids and chemicals that are no bueno for firearms. As Augie says, Renaissance Wax is really the only safe wax as it is a chemically neutral, crystalline wax (good for metal, wood, plastic, etc). It works great (and also hails from England).

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Check the moss motors.com website. They sell waxoyl kits and may have a thinner or some product to remove it. They also have a tech hotline....

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I've been using Waxoyl for years (to inhibit rust in cars) and it's tough to remove from metal, so you may need to boil the wood to get it off. But, on the positive side, your stock shouldn't rust.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I had to buy it as it fits in my collection (up to 5 Argys now). I have been searching a long time and this is the first crested M1891 I've found. I asked the seller to note that the stock had been coated in waxoyl, hoping that might scare off some potential buyers :D. I am just hoping that the waxoyl didn't cause too much harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    You need to post some pics when it's cleaned up, I think it will be a beauty, see some light tiger striping in the wood. Really nice find and highly desirable with the crest.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The bore is a beauty. My other M1891 has a very nice bore, but not like the Crested One (that's what I'm going to call her). The tiger striping on the handguard looks awesome too. I am just excited to have found one, and glad that, it seems, not too many people were interested (you don't know how many times I hesitated posting my original question for fear that I would lose the rifle) and didn't have to pay $800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom