• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Help me find some chokes.

I have inherited a old Winchester 140 Ranger shotgun. It says on the barrel it takes Win-Chokes. It has a modified choke in it currently but no other chokes were with it. The choke is extended past the barrel and knurled. I have tried to remove the choke by hand without luck.

I've found the manual for a Winchester 1400 on the internet and it stated that I need to use a tool to remove the choke, inserting it into the holes on the exterior of the choke.

So my question is what can I use to remove the choke considering I don't have the tool, second who makes chokes for the gun that will allow me to do without the need for a choke tube tool in the future. And third as someone that primarily shoots clays what chokes should I get?

Also does anyone still make some kind of sling mount for the front end of the gun?

Last edited:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I have an older Winchester Model 1400 Ranger 12 gauge- it was my first gun, when I was 14 YO.

Im assuming your shotgun is a 12 gauge.

I still have all my orginal choke tubes, and wrench, and few other chokes I bought. They originally came with 3 chokes. Full. Modified, Improved Cylinder.

I bought an Extra Improved Cylinder, and and True Glow Extra Full choke - that is ported (muzzle brake) for Turkey Hunting.

Winchester changed there chokes later down the line, which I believe uses
    the same chokes on Brownings (Invector) You do not want those.

Ive looked in Midways catalog - They do not show that choke wrench or the chokes.

I did find some listings for you on Gunbroker.com for the tool It $13.00. Here is the listing:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=274320359

Here are a few chokes listed on there. This is probably the style you need:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273865634

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=274472565

There are alot more Winchokes on Gunbroker.com. Log onto there page (www.gunbroker.com) and use the word "Winchoke" as your search word.

You may also want to poke around on Brownell's web site. They carry lots of gun parts. Also search Ebay.

I took a couple pics (below) so you can see what the tool, and chokes look like. The chokes come off by sticking the tip of that wrench into the recess hole, and turning it counter clockwise. Its take a little umph to do so! The first pic is just the chokes (minus the Ported Turkey) the 2nd shows how the tool is inserted. Hope this helps you out!!

Attachments

• WINCHOKES.jpg
      WINCHOKES.jpg
      140.2 KB · Views: 971
    • CHOKETOOL.jpg
      CHOKETOOL.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 1,149

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i dont want to hy-jack or anything but did you guys through searching find any good choke places. i have a biakal OU and have one of each chokes, but i'd like at least another full.

john

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    soak it in kroil for a night or 2 before trying to remove. chokes need some lube or they will seize and be real difficult to remove.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Thanks for the pics Deep Creek. The wrench looks a lot like a AR-15 wrench only smaller. If I can figure out how to get my choke off the gun without it I think I'm golden.

i dont want to hy-jack or anything but did you guys through searching find any good choke places. i have a biakal OU and have one of each chokes, but i'd like at least another full.

john

Nope go for it.

In my internet searching I've found this website
    http://www.trulockchokes.com/index.php

I have no idea if they are quality chokes or not but they have Bakail chokes and Winchokes on the list. Can anyone vouch for Tru Lock Chokes?

Also another random question, does anyone make choke tube cases or something of that nature? I'd like an easy way to keep the chokes all in one place.

Coincidentally does anyone know if the magazine tube cap on a Winchester 1200/1300 is the same as the one on a 1400? Uncle Mikes sells a replacement magazine tube cap that has a sling mount on it. I'd prefer something of higher quality but at the moment it's all I can find.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Its called a spanner or a lock ring wrench, call Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring and ask them if they have some chokes. 301-585-4448 They have been around sence 1951 and have a pretty good old parts stock.

Also Numrick in west hurley NY
    google them, huge parts store

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Its called a spanner or a lock ring wrench, call Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring and ask them if they have some chokes. 301-585-4448 They have been around sence 1951 and have a pretty good old parts stock.

Also Numrick in west hurley NY
    google them, huge parts store

I just checked the Numrick website and they only have an improved cylinder choke in stock. I'll give Atlantic a Call tomorrow.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Those chokes on 1400's are always on the tight side to get out - the tool does make it easier. I think Id rather have it a little on the tight side, then having it come loose, leaving a gap inside the barrel, between the choke.

I doubt Kroil or any liquid will get into the threads to loosen it- the knurled part of the tube sits flush with the barrel, the thread are pretty far down in.

In the future, you may want to put a little bit of choke grease, or anti sieze. Ive used gun oil, and never had one sieze.

But for 13 bucks for the tool, I would just pick up one of those and use the factory chokes. They work fine!

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Considering how hard the factory chokes are going to be to find I'd rather just get new ones and not have to worry about forgetting the wrench when I go shoot it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The WinChokes and the origional "Standard Invector" have identical bbl dimentions. The early Winchesters had the external knurling and spanner wrench, Brownings were flush mounted from the start. Winchester later went to flush also. Yes , Invector tubes work purfectly in Winchoke bbls. The later "Invector Plus" is different , and not interchangable.

In addition to Carlson's , Midwest Gun Works also has huge selection of choketubes. They also have the wrenches in two styles. They have old style Winchokes , but Invector tubes are less expensive , come in variety of styles , and full range of constrictions, and use the industry standard tool to remove/ install .

As to which tubes to have , the "industry standard " is IC, mod , full . "For me" , my M1300 came with an IC , and I purchased Improved Modified and Extra Full . My origional IC received rust damage ( not while in gun), and I will likely replace that with a "Skeet #1" ( next size looser than IC ). .

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Re Stuck Chokes:

Most stuck chokes are not stuck due to rust. They are stuck due to the bbl and choke tube not having been clean often enough to remove plastic rersidue. Hot powder gases combined with plastic will migrate into the threads and outer wall of the choke tube. This acts like an epoxy and is very tough to remove. In severe cases, you need a special tool to remove the choke and the choke will be trashed. Let's hope this one is simply a little sticky because it's been in the gun so long. If this is the case, submerge the whole end of the bbl in Kroil for a couple of days. Then, using vise grips on the well padded (leather) knurled part of the tube, try to remove it. If that doesn't work, apply heat, but not so much that you trash the bluing and then try to remove. If it's still stuck, I can remove it, but the tube will be trashed.

Replacement choke tubes, as well as a choke tube cross reference chart can be found on briley.com

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    As blackthorne mentioned, you may very well be able to find chokes for it at Briley's website. I just looked and they have a pretty big selection of chokes for Winchester (Win Choke). It doesn't mention your particular gun model, but they are good to deal with and if you contact them I'm sure they'll be able to tell you if one of their chokes will fit your gun.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Good, consistent patterning. For better results, there's Trulock. I use Trulock. They are not inexpensive.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Good, consistent patterning. For better results, there's Trulock. I use Trulock. They are not inexpensive.

So Trulock chokes are better than Briley? They don't seem to be all that much more expensive for comparable models. Both seem to be about $45 for extended knurled chokes and about $25 for flush fit chokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom