• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    As posted in the Palmer thread, it appears the Instructions and Application for DC Concealed Carry Instructor have been published.

Instructions for Submitting Instructor Application
    http://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/mpdc/page_content/attachments/Firearms%20Training%20Instructor%20Application%20Instructions.pdf

Instructor Application
    http://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/mpdc/page_content/attachments/Firearms%20Training%20Instructor%20Application%20Fillable%20Form.pdf

Setting aside the near comical $435 2-year application fee, and the Monday - Thursday 8A-2P in person application window...

There appears to be some ambiguity in the application qualifications.

It may be that one must, “Attach proof of your formal training in the care, safety, and use of firearms, which can include a current Law Enforcement Instructor identification card issued by the National Rifle Association or Instructor Certification from the Department of Criminal Justice Services Private Security Services.” [emphasis added]

The Instruction form's NRA LEO requirement conflicts with the less restrictive, "one years' experience instructing (LEO verbiage absent) on the application form itself.

Historically, DC has always required NRA LEO training credentials.

I am seeking clarification and will advise.

Last edited:

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Dial the Security Officer Management Branch at 202-671-0500 for a preview of how DC may plan to "comply" with the Second Amendment to the Bill of Rights, and the Federal Judges order.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I fear this is going to become another thing where 8000 people get certified and call themselves firearms instructors.

I empathize with where you are coming from, however...

I think one should pay well for quality safety and firearms training.

I do not think anyone should have to pay in order to exercise a inalienable right.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I'll wait to get one until they lose the next set of lawsuits. That's completely ridiculous.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I empathize with where you are coming from, however...

I think one should pay well for quality safety and firearms training.

I do not think anyone should have to pay in order to exercise a inalienable right.

I agree...I just hate how watered down the meaning of "firearms instructor" has become.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I think DC is looking for "DC Firearm Instructors", not "Firearm Instructors".

The admitted purpose is to make carry permits almost unattainable. Safety is just an excuse to create a burden, not a wholly legitimate concern.

Kind of like "one live round".

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    I think DC is looking for "DC Firearm Instructors", not "Firearm Instructors".

The admitted purpose is to make carry permits almost unattainable. Safety is just an excuse to create a burden, not a wholly legitimate concern.

Kind of like "one live round".

so, someone who lives in maryland or virginia, obtains the DC Instructor credentials, has to teach in DC, or in the resident state of the instructor? i ask because i am not aware of any shooting ranges in the DC boundaries, open to the public.

if there is this much burden on the instructor, imagine what it will be like for those who are applying :sad20:

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I am not aware of any requirement that courses be taught within the District.

If you allege a requirement exists, please cite your sources.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    No DC requirement as far as living and no range in DC. I've thought about it before though if someone could find a spot for a range (which you can't that's why Charles is out of HQ) you would make a killing. Put a grupon up and you'd kill it. The DC hipsters would go because its a new experience and the hood rats would go because they like guns. If you recycled the lead and made your own ammo and charged DC prices you'd be a millionaire.

Yup off topic and my bad.

Good luck with getting it! I would guess they had a set number to give out I don't think there will be 8K.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Update: It appears as if the link posted in the Palmer thread and restated in the OP within this thread were not ready to be made public. I am unable to locate any links to it from the MDP home page or search engines.

My call to the MDP has apparently caused a minor uproar.

With regard to the DC Firearm Instructor "Requirements";

First, I am unable to locate, "The requirements for a certified Firearms Training Instructor are found in Title 24, Chapter 23, Section 2347 of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations". I don't believe this law as cited actually exists.

Second, I have no proof the law, if it does exists, requires NRA LEO Training certification.

Third, the DC Firearms Instructor Application Instructions says, "...

Attach proof of your formal training in the care, safety, and use of firearms, which can include a current Law Enforcement Instructor identification card issued by the National Rifle Association or Instructor Certification from the Department of Criminal Justice Services Private Security Services." This implies that NRA LEO Training Certification is not mandatory.

Fourth, the DC Firearms Instructor Application itself, under the TRAINING BACKGROUND checklist only inquires, "
    Do you have a minimum of one year of experience in instruction in the care, safety, and use of handguns? If yes, please attach proof of such training."

Finally, I understand that the DC Government desires to limit instructors and concealed carry permit holders in contempt of the judges ruling and restraining order(s). But how could DC possibly justify the requirement that Firearm instructors be certified to teach law enforcement, when they are instead teaching civilians?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom