• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I have one Yugo and it is a blast to shoot. Funny thing is, it is also the one I put on the nightstand when I go to bed.
    Never had a problem with it at the range.
    I prefer the single stack grip, feels very comfortable.

And I wouldn't want to argue with this guy...

View attachment 133758

Holy shit, I never realized until now, but that is a Star model B! Not a 1911 like I originally thought.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Holy shit, I never realized until now, but that is a Star model B! Not a 1911 like I originally thought.

Yeah ... the Star Bs were often used in place of 1911s in the movies. To the average person (and even us), they look about the same when seen in a quick glimpse, and the 9mm blanks apparently were far more reliable in the Star Bs than .45 blanks in a 1911.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I like to think of mine like cheap camping fun guns. I stacked up on the surplus ammo and I still have tons. I can toss one of the toks and a few boxes of ammo in a bag when I go anywhere and I don't have to be stingy about letting my friends shoot it. I love the way they feel in my hand too. Its compact, but it feels as comfortable as a full size gun. Ive fired it into soft ground and it left a hole big enough to fit a golf ball in before. The only negative thing I can think of is the poor accuracy. If I had to stash a gun and some ammo somewhere for an emergency that I didn't mind the risk of losing, it would be one of my toks.

I've always thought there would be a good market for some sort of kit to make it more accurate and not really change the gun or its looks too much, like maybe a replacement barrel and some sort of lighter, smoother trigger? That would make the gun perfect.

I thought about trying to get ahold of one of those Zastava Tokarevs.

Does anybody know if the new production ammo is a big difference in accuracy versus the old corrosive surplus ammo that we all bought back when it was dirt cheap?

The Zastava tokarevs are INCREDIBLY accurate, and for some reason they heat treat their tokarev barrels differently than their AK barrels, cause I've peened a M57 barrel and gotten a result of between 40-50 HRC (sorry for the large number, the home hardness testing kits are not incredibly easy to use and get a high degree of accuracy- it was either this or use the scraper hardness testers and mar my barrel) hardness, as opposed to their AK barrels that can be anywhere from 30-40 HRC

If you are looking to increase accuracy there are a few things you can do:

One, ammo makes a huge difference. I find Prvi Partizan and Wolf brass cased to be the most accurate. I don't know what S&B are doing, but while their ammo is EXTREMELY hot, for some reason the recovered bullets do not engrave well or shoot particularly accurately, also they leave this red primer seal goop on my firing pin, and the only known tok blow ups have been with S&B, as well as a few CZ-52, however the CZ has a part of the chamber wall that is EXTREMELY thin, while the Tokarev barrel is literally built like a tank. I digress.

Secondly is having a good barrel bushing and link.

If someone has been driving the link pin in and out, or it looks beat up but still functions, it will degrade your accuracy. Some tokarev bushings are a little over size, and this can hurt accuracy too, the M57s have never had either of these problems in my experience.

Third is that damned trigger. There are a few things you can do to make it better.

The M57 hammer pack is actually adjustable, having one setting for regular use, and one for extremely fouled use, cosmoline in the firing pin channel, icy conditions, or in the event that hard primered sub gun ammunition had to be used. Just a fun little fact, the reason that the chamber walls are so thick on the tokarev are because of the fact that the soviets wanted to be able to fire extremely hot PPSH ammunition through them if the need arose.

Anyways, look up a tutorial on the internet and it will show you how to change the setting on the tokarev hammer. You will get better accuracy as well as less wear on your firing pin with the lighter setting, the let off will be slightly less crisp, but require less pressure to fire. you can also polish the mating surfaces of your linkage if you want to take the hammer pack apart. I would also recommend cleaning it well and applying a thin film of Tuf-glide and the trigger will be much improved.

Also, take the time to get to know the gun. Don't just try to hold and shoot it like a 1911 or other pistol. The thin grip and grip angle make it very easy to shoot it with the backstrap of the pistol more toward the thumb than the palm of the hand, howver you will be much more accurate (at least in my case) if you resist that temptation and keep the backstrap a little bit more toward your palm and resting centered between the web of your thumb.

Also, this pistol is EXTREMELY loud. There is a shit ton of unburnt powder when the bullet exits the front of the barrel. Consequently this makes the ammo INCREDIBLY powerful for a handgun round when fired out of a chamber insert in a mosin nagant, but that's neither here nor there right now. my point is this- even if you are an experienced shooter you might be involuntarily flinching, just focus on keeping your eyes open throughout the trigger release and follow through and you WILL HIT

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have 3 Tokarevs: a Romanian, a Polish, and a Zastava. They are pretty cool overall. I like the funky styled triggers and the unique way the grips fit on the frame. There is a scissor type mechanism which fits to the grip frame. I bought some surplus Polish ammo that comes with 16 rounds packaged in paper. The brass cartridge usually splits when fired. I also have some PPU as well. Reloading is the next step. Another cool thing about this Russian design: It was built so that it could fire the German .30 Mauser round for the broomhandled Mauser pistols. But don't fire a 7.62 Tok round in your Broomhandle! It is too high pressured. The Russkies are sneaky like that.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    I have all three of the usual suspects (Romy, Pole, Yugo). The Yugos are uber accurate, the Romys a bit less...and I'm not sure about the Pole, since mine arived with a shot out barrel. I was bummed about that till I remembered the $99 "gunsmith special" M57 I'd gotten...the Yugo-Pole hybrid is also super accurate. :D

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    The self-contained M57 recoil spring assembly is also a masterful addition to any Tokarev. :)

Note: the M57 is not as accepting of the unrestrained Pole recoil spring, should you wish to try the opposite modification.

Last edited:

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    They are a blast (literally) to shoot. They are loud and shoot fireballs. Ammo is available and easily reloadable. I've never felt that the grips are awkward/bulky or that it's an uncomfortable pistol to handle. And, a neat part of history.

I agree, I now have a few hundred reloadable cases and a set of Lee Dies, so I shold not have any Ammo problems in the near future.

My only complaint is the small Grips. With large hands I have a problem with the Hammer beating the hell ot of the web of my hand. I've been wearing a fingerless thin leather shooting glove, but the Hammer is still a bit painfull.

The 9 shot tt's with a bit longer Grip helps.

I do love that loud "Crack" and Fireball. The TT's are definately an attention getter, shame most of the cheap surplus Ammo has dried up.
    At the price a Tok shold be on every C&R List.

Eddie O

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I agree, I now have a few hundred reloadable cases and a set of Lee Dies, so I shold not have any Ammo problems in the near future.

My only complaint is the small Grips. With large hands I have a problem with the Hammer beating the hell ot of the web of my hand. I've been wearing a fingerless thin leather shooting glove, but the Hammer is still a bit painfull.

The 9 shot tt's with a bit longer Grip helps.

I do love that loud "Crack" and Fireball. The TT's are definately an attention getter, shame most of the cheap surplus Ammo has dried up.
    At the price a Tok shold be on every C&R List.

Eddie O

Would one of those slip on rubber grips help? I forget the brand but somebody makes one that has finger grooves in the front and extra thickness built into the sides for thin guns. You can trim them to fit... I tried one on a Tokarev and it felt nice. May be worth a try.

SAY "WHAT" AGAIN!

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Just a couple months ago, you could buy 2+ for 149.99 ea! I nearly bit, but I had bought some other stuff over the couple months prior and waited too long. I ended up buying from classic because I could get both a Polish Tok and added shipping for the Romanian was pretty minimal plus a friend got his Toks from classic and they looked nearly new. Just got them and they are beautiful! Now I need to get 'em cleaned and get out and shoot them. Looking at a range day on Nov 4th right after voting. :)

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    If we can get a domestic producer, we're in even better shape.

There already is

BH_WIN_MC762TOK__72761.1410409250.500.659.jpg

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    There already is

BH_WIN_MC762TOK__72761.1410409250.500.659.jpg

I'm pretty sure that those are boxed and re-branded. They may be made by PPU.

I believe its S&B - check the difference in packaging in the photo - PPU in front.

Both Winchester and S&B boxes report "Made in the Czech Republic"

Don't pay extra for the Winchester name - its just S&B rebranded. The S&B is generally cheaper.

Attachments

• 2014-10-27-155406.jpg
      2014-10-27-155406.jpg
      107.7 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom