• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    ****typo in title. Firearm is chambered in 7.62x54R****

I recently won a bid on gunbroker for a vepr 7.62x54R in standard configuration (wood furniture and no aftermarket parts). The seller, a well known importer, is telling me that from what they interpret from the law they cannon ship it to MD. I've called numerous other companies that have been shipping the 54R versions to MD without an issue. The companies that do ship them to MD say that it's legal because it's not chambered in 7.62x39.

Is there anything in writing that I can use in my defense? Otherwise I have to wait until they get a response from the AFT and I have a feeling that will take a while

To make this easy I'll just copy and past their exact response.

"Our FFL responsible authority is having a hard time finding approval for this rifle to enter the State of MD. Here is the reason why highlighted in yellow ; area highlight in green lean towards it being ok. The problem is (xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format; We are waiting for the State to respond to us on this issue. Man I hate MD gun Laws"

Last edited:

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Just to be clear, I don't think the company is trying to screw me over. Honestly just think the law is ridiculous with a ton of contradictions.

I'm screening the bill now trying to find something in writing but if any of you can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I recently won a bid on gunbroker for a vepr 7.62x54R in standard configuration (wood furniture and no aftermarket parts). The seller, a well known importer, is telling me that from what they interpret from the law they cannon ship it to MD. I've called numerous other companies that have been shipping the 54R versions to MD without an issue. Said companies say that it's legal because it's not chambered in 7.62x39.

Is there anything in writing that I can use in my defense? Otherwise I have to wait until they get a response from the AFT and I have a feeling that will take a while

To make this easy I'll just copy and past their exact response.

"Our FFL responsible authority is having a hard time finding approval for this rifle to enter the State of MD. Here is the reason why highlighted in yellow ; area highlight in green lean towards it being ok. The problem is (xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format; We are waiting for the State to respond to us on this issue. Man I hate MD gun Laws"

I'll follow-up here as I see you started a new thread. The information you need is in this thread:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=155806

As I understand it, per MSP firearms bulletin 96-1 (attached for reference), there is an exemption for firearms identified as "assault weapons" if they are sold in their sporter configuration and as imported into the US.

edit: you could also just go to Duffy's and see if they still have a 54r for sale.

Attachments

• MDSP.pdf
      302.8 KB · Views: 195

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What is their problem? There is NO law prohibiting them from sending it to an FFL in MD. And if the FFL sends them a copy of their FFL to ship THIS RIFLE, the State law is not involved.

Now then, it would be up to the FFL whether they will transfer it to you. And if not, they would have to sell it out of state.

Find an FFL that will accept to for you, and explain that as the seller/shipper, they break NO laws by shipping to an MD FFL.

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    What is their problem? There is NO law prohibiting them from sending it to an FFL in MD. And if the FFL sends them a copy of their FFL to ship THIS RIFLE, the State law is not involved.

Now then, it would be up to the FFL whether they will transfer it to you. And if not, they would have to sell it out of state.

Find an FFL that will accept to for you, and explain that as the seller/shipper, they break NO laws by shipping to an MD FFL.

Trust me man I've told them the same exact thing. I've already been told by 3 local FFL's that they'd do the transfer. Sent the company my FFL's info and everything and they still won't ship it until they get a response from either the state or the ATF. I brought up the fact that they weren't liable if they sent it to an FFL. They said that they were held to a higher standard since they are a big time importer.

I don't know. A part of me kind of understands where they're coming from but the other part of me is royally pissed off.

Worst case scenario, they said they'd hold the rifle until I relocate to Florida in November.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Trust me man I've told them the same exact thing. I've already been told by 3 local FFL's that they'd do the transfer. Sent the company my FFL's info and everything and they still won't ship it until they get a response from either the state or the ATF. I brought up the fact that they weren't liable if they sent it to an FFL. They said that they were held to a higher standard since they are a big time importer.

I don't know. A part of me kind of understands where they're coming from but the other part of me is royally pissed off.

Worst case scenario, they said they'd hold the rifle until I relocate to Florida in November.
    Don't know what you paid, but if they'll let you back out, just buy one at Duffy's.

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    I talked to Duffy's today actually. Awesome guy and extremely helpful. Not saying that his prices are too high there actually pretty good. However, the auction was won at $960 for a brand new 7.62x54R 20.5" VEPR. That's a hell of a deal and don't think anyone local can beat that.

Feb 28, 2013
    Are the parts of a 7.62x39 VEPR even interchangeable with the "AK-47 in all forms" or "avtomat kalashnikov semi-automatic rifle in any format"?

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Are the parts of a 7.62x39 VEPR even interchangeable with the "AK-47 in all forms" or "avtomat kalashnikov semi-automatic rifle in any format"?

Nope, the 7.62x39 VEPR is not completely interchangeable with an AK. The 7.62x54R VEPR doesn't have interchangeable parts with the AK, SVD, or NDM-86. They are not banned.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Nope, the 7.62x39 VEPR is not completely interchangeable with an AK. The 7.62x54R VEPR doesn't have interchangeable parts with the AK, SVD, or NDM-86. They are not banned.

This.

In cases where I have had a disagreement with an out-of-state seller over legality--and MD laws are confusing--have the seller call the local FFL of your choice who will be doing the transfer. An FFL in MD can still receive any rifle, any capacity magazine, etc., as a dealer. And then it's that FFL's liability to release it to you. The seller is worried about liability, or having the rifle sent back, but if the FFL says it's OK then they have nothing to worry about.

You've taked to Vince already, he's a great guy, call him again to discuss whether he's willing to do the xfer and be happy. :)

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    This.

In cases where I have had a disagreement with an out-of-state seller over legality--and MD laws are confusing--have the seller call the local FFL of your choice who will be doing the transfer. An FFL in MD can still receive any rifle, any capacity magazine, etc., as a dealer. And then it's that FFL's liability to release it to you. The seller is worried about liability, or having the rifle sent back, but if the FFL says it's OK then they have nothing to worry about.

You've taked to Vince already, he's a great guy, call him again to discuss whether he's willing to do the xfer and be happy. :)

Vince was great and extremely helpful. Unfortunately, the seller will not ship to MD until he sees something in writing or gets the ok from MD state or the ATF

And when I say "seller" I'm taking about an importer. Not just a mom. And pop shop. Apparently they're a pretty big importer of out of country firearms. They distribute to AIM surplus and similar companies.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    show them atlantic firearms as an example of a md ffl that can still possess and stock anything.

then have them ship to duffys if duffys will transfer to you.

Feb 28, 2013
    I hope it was an HBAR.

Otherwise both you and the seller violated Federal law.

I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. He had two used Colts. I asked if they were heavy barrels, at which point the guy knew right away we were from MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just checking. :)

And we still have people showing up thinking they can just go across the border and buy a banned firearm.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

What is an Avtomat Kalashnikov rifle in any form? That is certainly broader than the default "copy". I disagree with how that letter is being interpreted, and there is no way, in my opinion, that a 54r VEPR is legal in MD. There was a court of special appeals case where a person was found to be in possession of a regulated firearm when he was caught with a sporter MAADI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom