Secondary Transfer of AR Lower at MSP Requires HQL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Has anybody tried to do a secondary transfer of an AR lower receiver at any MSP barracks since they became "legal again?"

I just tried to do one at the Glen Burnie barracks to fill out the 77r and the dude won't let us do it without an HQL. He insists that he does NO transfers without HQL's (Guess he doesn't know about C&R exemptions, either), and after telling him repeatedly that I don't need a Handgun license to receive a rifle receiver (the thing was even completed with a stock too, but in his defense he didn't see it) to no avail, I gave up and left. Several dealers have posted correspondences with MSP stating that no HQL is required for a lower purchase and are selling them as such. I don't know where this guy got the idea that one was needed.

Just curious if anyone else has tried to do one yet and if you had a similar or different experience.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    You DO NOT need an HQL for a lower, but what can you say about a law that even those who enforce it don't understand?

If MSP won't do it, just go to an FFL. The max they can charge for a secondary sale transfer is $30, which is $10 for MSP, no more than $20 for the dealer.

This the only type of sale that has cost regulations.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I had completely forgotten there was a cap on secondary transfer fees. Most places in the area charge like $75, so thanks for that.

Yeah, it's complete bull. I think I'll stop by Bart's or something before they close and see if they'll do it.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Bart's says: You have to do it at MSP barracks.

:facepalm:

It is frustrating as hell not living near any IP's. It seems like we're the only ones who ever know what's going on. :sad20:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007

It is frustrating as hell not living near any IP's. It seems like we're the only ones who ever know what's going on. :sad20:

go to A&D pawn and ask for Jim. he's the guy with the beard.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I thought about A&D but of course they had already closed by the time I did... I can try to get over there Wednesday or something.

Feb 28, 2013

You're in Glen Burnie, my friend. You're near Scotts Gunsmithing.:)

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    might also try calling the barracks to speak with his supervisor.
    could be he's just unaware...

or like the old saying, "often wrong, but never unsure!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom