• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    What do you guys recommend? My instinct is to prefer civil war era stuff with precussion caps? Not looking to hunt.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Get a .44 steel top strap pistol like a Remington or Rogers & Spenser.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Get a .44 steel top strap pistol like a Remington or Rogers & Spenser.

What he said. There are several topstrap revolvers(I have Remingtons) that are great shooters. The Colt's are OK too I just don't care for them. You are in luck also because there are plenty of replica rifles at decent prices to be had.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Rem New Army 1858 cap & ball is a good start...try Cabela's.....they ship them to your house.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    If you want a Civil War replica rifle you've got to go with a .58 caliber rifled musket like an 1853 Enfield or an 1861 Springfield, maybe even a Remington Zouave. I found my Zouave on Gunbroker for about $200 shipped to my front door. It's a lot of fun and it sure can rock the neighborhood on Independence Day!

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Go to Cabella's & handle both the Remington "new army" (aka 1858 Remington), & the Colt open-top revolver of your choice. Actually cock (but don't dry-fire) both so you can feel the grip size & shape & look at the sight picture. Try both the full length & "sheriffs model" (8" & 5" Barrels) & see which you prefer.

The open top looks more fragile, but in reality isn't, but the grips & sights vary a lot between the 2 classics & only you can decide which fits your hand better & gives you the preferred sight picture.

I went with the '58 Remington with the 8" barrel in .44 caliber, but you may find you prefer the bigger grip of the Colt.
    DSCF7568.jpg

For a rifle try the "Hawken" rifle, its a nice (but not really authentic to any time period) starter rifle & is available in both flint & percussion versions. This is my .50 cal. "carbine" with the short (for B/P) 24" BBL.
    DSCF8812.jpg

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    If you want a Civil War replica rifle you've got to go with a .58 caliber rifled musket like an 1853 Enfield or an 1861 Springfield, maybe even a Remington Zouave. I found my Zouave on Gunbroker for about $200 shipped to my front door. It's a lot of fun and it sure can rock the neighborhood on Independence Day!

I really like the 1853 Enfields. I have an Armi-Sport 3-band reproduction. It's relatively accurate and reliable.

Be careful as there are a few companies importing Indian made reproductions of historic black powder arms. Some of these are being modified for re-enacting and may be safe for light blank loads, but I wouldn't want to use one for live fire. In other words, stay away from Indian arms.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    OK. If you want something from the Civil War era, go directly over to the North-South Skirmish Association BB and start looking around. You'll get plenty of good advice from the experts.

My advice? If you want a rifle, the muskets are great - I'd look for a Zouave or P1858 Enfield. However, making Minie balls is tricky. You might want to consider a percussion round ball rifle instead. As for pistols, I prefer the 1858 Remington revolvers. Which one to get is a whole other subject...for a novice, I'd look for a Pietta and get it tuned up. Preferably the Pietta Shooter's Model.

itsatrap

Jan 6, 2011
    MoCo
    You can make all the mine balls you want with a good mold, and melted fishing weights. Also, I love my p1853 Enfield made by euroarms.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Like a lot of modern "homages" the model being sold was never in existence. For example Brass framed 1858 Remingtons & 1860 Colts.

Actual St Louis Hawkens, made in the style of the Hawken factory yes, the multiple variants seen nowadays (like my short barrel carbine) never existed & so aren't specific to a time because they never had a time until created in Spain or Italy after the '60's 1960's that is.

If the OP is looking for "historical accuracy" this might matter to him.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I take both paper towels & baby wipes in addition to all this "stuff" er sorry, accoutrements!
    DSCF8674.jpg

The tins hold caps, wads, grease, spare nipples & the extra ramrod/cleaning tools.

Its worse now in reality since I added the Hawken in a different caliber that takes different caps as well!:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom