MSP: FIREARM PURCHASE APPLICANTS WITH APPLICATIONS PENDING ON OCT 1 WON'T NEED HQL

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Right, it doesn't

I think you may be confusing the 2. They are unrelated IMHO.

It was oringinaly thought that we would not need the HQL if purcahsed before 10-1. When 'they' said otherwise everyone was in an uproar. So esentially this is how everyone not in MOM's pocket interpreted the legislation.

We just did a full circle.

I am not confusing the two.

In regards to rifles, it is clearly written in the law that they may be received if an application or purchase order was issued before Oct 1.

In regards to handguns, it is clearly written in the law that a HQL or exception explicitly written in the law, is required to receive a handgun after Oct 1. There is nothing written in the law allowing receipt of a handgun without the HQL or specified exception if there is an application pre Oct 1.

And taking in to account the AAG memo that says an application prior to Oct 1 is not sufficient, and that a HQL is required, it is not clear that the MD SP can say otherwise:

" it is my view that after October 1, 2013 a person may not take delivery of, and a dealer may not deliver, a handgun to a person who does not have a handgun qualification license, even if the purchase was arranged before October 1, 2013."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/158788674/AG-opinion

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    " It was widely understood that the new requirements would not be enforced as to applications that were pending before October 1" - MSP

How blatent of a lie is this?!?!?!

bullett67

Aug 17, 2013
    eastern shore md
    I've already done a 4 hour classroom course and 4 hours of range time so I could get my HQL. I bought my gun in June....or was it July...?...cant remember now but oh well I'm going to get it anyway because I don't trust it. I purchased from gander so it will be next year before I get it anyway.....I hope!!!

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    The law says otherwise. Unlike assault long guns, the law does not provide a similar provision for handguns.

The State Police have advised people to break the law as written. They then mislead people by saying this was a widely known exception,even though there is an AAG memo saying it can't be done.

Do as you want, but the State Police do not have the legal authority to change the written law.

Dumais and Pinsky seem to think they do. Just sayin'.......

Dec 31, 2012
    I've already done a 4 hour classroom course and 4 hours of range time so I could get my HQL. I bought my gun in June....or was it July...?...cant remember now but oh well I'm going to get it anyway because I don't trust it. I purchased from gander so it will be next year before I get it anyway.....I hope!!!

There is a state approved training course already active?

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I am not confusing the two.

In regards to rifles, it is clearly written in the law that they may be received if an application or purchase order was issued before Oct 1.

In regards to handguns, it is clearly written in the law that a HQL or exception explicitly written in the law, is required to receive a handgun after Oct 1. There is nothing written in the law allowing receipt of a handgun without the HQL or specified exception if there is an application pre Oct 1.

And taking in to account the AAG memo that says an application prior to Oct 1 is not sufficient, and that a HQL is required, it is not clear that the MD SP can say otherwise:

" it is my view that after October 1, 2013 a person may not take delivery of, and a dealer may not deliver, a handgun to a person who does not have a handgun qualification license, even if the purchase was arranged before October 1, 2013."

Sent from my SCH-I545

I guess we shall see in the up coming days if his view has changed on the matter. :D

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Legal or not, if MSP intends to not enforce the law, it really doesn't matter. what the law says.

They are in panic mode after yesterday's admissions.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Legal or not, if MSP intends to not enforce the law, it really doesn't matter. what the law says.

They are in panic mode after yesterday's admissions.

i havent check today.. but watching the recorded hearing yesterday.. i didnt see the beginning of it.. it may have been chopped off for a reason?:innocent0

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Absolutely every gun owner in MD needs to apply for the HQL on 10/1 we need to keep this thing broken. Did ranyone read anything that prohibits applying more then once. That should help f things up.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Just sent this this to Mike Smigiel and Nancy Jacobs:

The first link is from MSP via AGC:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...eQKoju9UhO5vQXOU-wQ3KiC2uGYtjrLsnzPftBZx24Q==

This is counter to the bill as passed and counter to the COMAR accepted yesterday. Compare to an AG opinion of 08/01/13:

While on the surface it appears to be a good thing for us, is this entrapment of dealers and buyers? Can this come back to bite us on the ass?

Thanks, My Name.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just sent this this to Mike Smigiel and Nancy Jacobs:

The first link is from MSP via AGC:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=p85wsocab&v=0017tAQmPa9WearZlsiqmqmSbxD7HMjhw7a8YCorAW0L-oPobCpMo1ccCoXZJHAv976o2-IzlW8y9PwmytiM7ZHVahA0P1u7oDQpj6TVQprC9njOy4763e8eEddBHqmgmlkERLw1GiCY0SJTcKDau-8MmFkqoxrDMrBg7dm5j9kH4aeQKoju9UhO5vQXOU-wQ3KiC2uGYtjrLsnzPftBZx24Q%3D%3D

This is counter to the bill as passed and counter to the COMAR accepted yesterday. Compare to an AG opinion of 08/01/13:

While on the surface it appears to be a good thing for us, is this entrapment of dealers and buyers? Can this come back to bite us on the ass?

Thanks, My Name.

It actually creates a injury for dealers. If they knew, they could have ordered more inventory to sale.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Absolutely every gun owner in MD needs to apply for the HQL on 10/1 we need to keep this thing broken. Did ranyone read anything that prohibits applying more then once. That should help f things up.

Go ahead and pay for the privilege of having them invade your privacy, infringe on your rights, and treat you like a criminal.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    We should not be enabling their improper behavior.

How many of us condemn the US AG and ICE for not enforcing the immigration laws? This is no different, just because it is a law we disagree with.

By not making them adhere to the standards they should, we are giving approval for them to ignore the law in the future.

They should not be able to ignore the law, just because it makes things easier for them.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Your concern is absolutely spot on.

The MSP does not act on these issues unless directed specifically by the Gov's office. Gansler and he don't always get along, so I suspect some fireworks behind scenes. That said, the AG might have driven this.

Go look at yesterday's hearing. This is not happening in a vacuum. They effed up and are trying to get out of jail, but nothing short of holding the entire licensing statute will work. This is desperation. It is not enough.

Holding? For how long? The law goes into effect on 10/1 they have to have a means of legally transfering a new purchase made after the effective date. If they don't, they are really in violation of Heller and the current law from sb281. I don't know where they are going with this but it certainly is entertaining...maybe hollywood will make a movie out of this, naw no body would ever believe it:lol2:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

Thanks, My Name.
    Dealers take direction from MSP. If the MSP says dealers can/cannot do something, the AG would have a damn hard time pressing the matter. The MSP is the arbiter of the law for dealers. The AG just offers opinions. The MSP trump the AG, in general.

This was not planned. They are in panic mode. Maybe the AG is on board after yesterday. There were signs that state people (Gov office, especially) were pretty upset after yesterdays events. They got caught with pants around ankles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom