• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I say, the demographics of this bodes well for the cause. Once people see it as no big deal, the blood in the streets argument doesn't hold a grain of salt.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    It will bode well for our cause and people will see it as normal if those on our side will speak up among the average population instead of keeping amongst ourselves. NY, CT, and CA gun owners have been screwed as they have because they stay quiet and stay out of the population that they need to sway to our side. NY is geographically segregated and has that stupid *** pistol permit law while CA's folks are just plain intimidated by LE and leftist thug groups, dunno what is up with CT gun owners, and in all 3 they technically have millions of gun owners in state that would be plenty enough to repel the antis politically if they acted like the numbers they have.

Feb 28, 2013
    I say, the demographics of this bodes well for the cause. Once people see it as no big deal, the blood in the streets argument doesn't hold a grain of salt.

Well, in my opinion anyone who doesn't get their news from MSLSD and is willing to take the time to look for answers will find that argument to be total BS. All they have to do is look at other states where open carry is encouraged. Folks will find that blood in the streets is conspicuous by it's absence.:)

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Open carry presents a HUGE outlet of discussing gun issues with the public, as even though a small % of the public even notices that pistol on your hip, people who do notice often ask about it. Unfortunately this great method of stimulating discussion with "non gun people" is not allowed in the communist hellholes, or if it is like in CT, you may lose your pistol permit/lisc if you do it in the "wrong" place. It is also frowned upon in some of the most gun friendly of states, by one's fellow gun owners, to the point that it's almost like Fudds vs other gun owners. I've been to several open carry meets, both in PA and in DE, and these are the nicest people you can possibly hang out with. I can even get away with violating one of the old "no-no" rules mothers teach their daughters. Don't get into a car with a man you just met. I've done this 3 times, both with myself and the aforementioned men open carrying.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Had an odd encounter with a middle-aged woman at Wawa in Edgewater not long ago. A county uniformed police officer stepped behind her in line. She looked down at his holstered sidearm, and in a startled voice, exclaimed that she'd never been that close to a gun before. I asked whether she's ever been that close to a police officer, and she replied that she must have led a sheltered life.

For a second, I thought I was back in Bethesda, not Edgewater. It was almost eerie.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    It will bode well for our cause and people will see it as normal if those on our side will speak up among the average population instead of keeping amongst ourselves. NY, CT, and CA gun owners have been screwed as they have because they stay quiet and stay out of the population that they need to sway to our side. NY is geographically segregated and has that stupid *** pistol permit law while CA's folks are just plain intimidated by LE and leftist thug groups, dunno what is up with CT gun owners, and in all 3 they technically have millions of gun owners in state that would be plenty enough to repel the antis politically if they acted like the numbers they have.

Of course when NY was coming under attack our friends in other parts of the country just wrote us off ( I am talking 50 years ago). No outreach at all. But now that Bloomberg is targeting pa we will see how you hold up.. oh I see ... he can buy a campaign even in pa.

Pa had better get off its ass and stop blaming ... I can tell you pa/smells a lot like NY 50 years ago...:)

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Considering us old white guys who have historically been the "gun crowd" are going to be a minority by the 2040's... we need more women, minorities, and newbs in general. Especially the urban folks who may not have grown up around guns. A little positive exposure goes a long way.

Feb 28, 2013
    Considering us old white guys who have historically been the "gun crowd" are going to be a minority by the 2040's... we need more women, minorities, and newbs in general. Especially the urban folks who may not have grown up around guns. A little positive exposure goes a long way.

Hey, if they're willing, then I am too.

Problem is, too few are.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Of course when NY was coming under attack our friends in other parts of the country just wrote us off ( I am talking 50 years ago). No outreach at all. But now that Bloomberg is targeting pa we will see how you hold up.. oh I see ... he can buy a campaign even in pa.

Pa had better get off its ass and stop blaming ... I can tell you pa/smells a lot like NY 50 years ago...:)
    I have been saying that to them since I got here and even 1-2 years before, and they don't do much. Fuddism is BAD here and there's so many who take it completely for granted because they've never lived anywhere else. I'm doing what I can but I'm a little short of cash right now because finding a decently paying job is hard if you're not established in the place you're looking. Basically if I had more cash and didn't need to spend time looking for a better job, I'd be putting more money into ammo and more suppressors for taking more new shooters shooting. I do a bit now but would do 3-5x as much if I was completely up and running, also cultivating influence with political donors and staff.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have been saying that to them since I got here and even 1-2 years before, and they don't do much. Fuddism is BAD here and there's so many who take it completely for granted because they've never lived anywhere else. I'm doing what I can but I'm a little short of cash right now because finding a decently paying job is hard if you're not established in the place you're looking. Basically if I had more cash and didn't need to spend time looking for a better job, I'd be putting more money into ammo and more suppressors for taking more new shooters shooting. I do a bit now but would do 3-5x as much if I was completely up and running, also cultivating influence with political donors and staff.

I'm the same way. I could be educating all sorts of hunters, but I have very little business, and it's much harder trying to rebuild in this economy. I didn't get much work in at my old location either. It really dropped off starting in 2008. Everyone wants something for nothing or they already go to another high quality taxidermist. I wonder if the taxidermists in MD who are well established and get a lot of work in even care much about gun rights, other than their NRA membership. I sure haven't seen a single one of them posting here at MDS.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Consider volunteering at a local club... lots of new owners and soon to be owners need to be culitivated. Many are new and even from other states... cultivate and welcome them..

Do not ignore them.. the "FUDDs" to whatever extent they exist are aging out. The future is with the young and family age adults concerned about self defense... that is who we need to reach.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Hi. Minority demographic (Korean/Black) who didn't grow up around guns here. I bought my first rifle from a coworker (Ruger 10/22) and got hooked very quickly. Some observations from someone who's only been shooting for 9 years now...

Safety should be number one. To people like me who love to read and learn, understanding safety is a must. Seeing all of these "experts" around me at the range who muzzle sweep me is pretty disconcerting.

Large calibers are not for beginners. Yes, they make great youtube videos but I purchased my second gun (.40 caliber pistol at the recommendation of a friend) and have hated pistols since. I hate .40 to this day. I love my suppressed .22 on the other hand and start all beginners with it. Scaring people can be dangerous too.

Share. Yes, it sounds like super communism but thanks to people on these forums (shout out to Seth/Flipz), I got an awesome introduction into Class III toys and I've gotten to share that with other folks. Other folks that never shot guns that I was able to introduce to guns, teach about guns, and get them comfortable around guns. People who were adamant about their stance with guns before hand, even. You have to build a relationship with people and then share. It's no different than other hobbies or religions.

And maybe... Educate. It might sound dumb but my enthusiasm for guns took me down a road that I never expected. I thought "yay, bullets and shooting paper!" Instead I found myself at a rally in Annapolis fighting for my RIGHTS and knowing how different my rights are versus my privileges. The goal is to get the tide rising to float all ships. We're all in this fight together and the more we can unite, the better off we'll be.

Just my $1.02

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    How many of you guys are active in Boy Scouts? Do they still teach marksmanship?

The father of one of my daughter's friends is a pack leader... but he holds a low-level Democratic office. I've wanted to bring up the idea of helping tutor his scouts but not sure how well it would be received by him. We definitely need more outreach programs for urban youth. Anyone know of one in B-more city?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    How many of you guys are active in Boy Scouts? Do they still teach marksmanship?

Capital district council of BSA does.They have a trailer with archery and BB gun range equipment, bows, rifles etc. that is available to troops for camps. The scoutmaster leading the marksmanship training has to be certified, not sure what that requires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom