• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have been in contact with Alexander Arms in Virginia. I am interested in building a 50 cal Beowulf pistol. They haven't said no yet, so I'm hoping they come through.

What do you think?
    Jim Smith

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a 7.5 OR 8.5 inch barrel. The 12 inch barrel would work for a SBR, but I think it would be too heavy for a pistol.

Jim Smith

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Good luck.

I know they've been approached to do a pistol, but I haven't seen one yet. The 12" is the shortest they've done so far.

I won't say I haven't thought about doing one...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Nah, this will be a pussycat if I can get AA to build me an 8.5" barrel.

But that's a really BIG if...

Jim Smith

namelessname120

Jul 6, 2011
    I thought about building 1 myself but I funds aren't there plus there are a few other things on top of the list.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If I can have a .45-70 Contender , no reason to avoid a Beowolf in an AR pistol. Getting the gas system dial in for a 8.5in bbl might be tricky , but you wanted a unique project to enjoy the challenges , right ?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If I can have a .45-70 Contender , no reason to avoid a Beowolf in an AR pistol. Getting the gas system dial in for a 8.5in bbl might be tricky , but you wanted a unique project to enjoy the challenges , right ?

I thought the pigtail gas tube would take care of any timing issues when it comes to that. I think it will slow down the system enough to allow proper feeding of the next round.

I also wonder if I want a pistol where many of the parts are proprietary (meaning Alexander Arms). From what I'm reading, it would appear the upper's ejection port is larger than a standard upper(which I didn't know or forgot and I own a 16" Beowulf) and from what I'm hearing lately, the bolt isn't just a 30 cal bolt. Seems they have massaged this part too.

At this point, the lure of building this pistol has gone away a bit, but I guess it all depends on what AA response will be. I'm not interested in paying $1000 for a pistol upper, so the price will have to be somewhat attractive to cause me to build one.

Thanks!
    Jim Smith

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The bolt is a 7.62x39 bolt head, simple as that. Remember, the casings rebated rim is x39 in size.

The ejection port is easy enough to hog out, use your 16" as a template.

The really tricky part is dialing in the timing and the gas-system, which is why AA hasn't done one. The 12" is a carbine length system, and the 16" is a mid-length system, they're going by the thought process of having at least 3" of barrel after the gas-port.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The bolt is a 7.62x39 bolt head, simple as that. Remember, the casings rebated rim is x39 in size.

The ejection port is easy enough to hog out, use your 16" as a template.

The really tricky part is dialing in the timing and the gas-system, which is why AA hasn't done one. The 12" is a carbine length system, and the 16" is a mid-length system, they're going by the thought process of having at least 3" of barrel after the gas-port.

I thought the bolt was just a 7.62 x 39 bolt too, but I'm hearing lately that the bolt face has been massaged a little. I do not know what they have done and I don't have a 7.62 x 39 bolt to compare.

I think the pigtail gas tube is equal to the carbine length, so it should work okay.

I just checked the receiver, and I can't see any great difference. I'll have to grab the dial calipers to see exactly what the differences are.

Thanks!
    Jim Smith

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If AA was the one saying it's not a standard x39 bolt, then there's your issue. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom