• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Here is a little reading material if you're so inclined. IT does talk about the upper and bolt. The upper is definitely not Milspec. The story talks about the bolt, but leaves a little to the imagination. I do not believe the bolt is a factory 7.62 x 39 bolt.

Jim Smith

.50 Beowulf® FAQ

12-15-2010, 21:57

Alexander Arms LLC is the manufacturer of the .50 Beowulf® [12.7 x 42 mm Rb] cartridge and weapon system. Alexander Arms is Located at the U.S. Army Radford Arsenal in Virginia and have been in business since 2001, when William “Bill” Alexander had a vision for the .50 Beowulf® cartridge and the best platform for this cartridge; the familiar M4. With some engineering the entirely new cartridge would be limited by the size and shape of the feeding mechanism (the magazine) the magazine well, and feeding method of the M4 as well as the limit of the gas inpingement operation system.

The .50 Beowulf® cartridge has gallons of energy with the ability of rapid fire in a reliable semi-automatic format. The .50 Beowulf® uses a bullet with a .500 diameter. Factory loaded ammunition offered from in 300 grain Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point, 325 grain Speer Unicor Hollow Point, 334 grain Rainier Copper Plated Hollow and Flat Point, and a massive Hawk 400 grain Flat Point. The muzzle velocity of these projectiles ranges from 1800 – 1950 f.p.s. with devastating power ranging from 2159 – 2878 ft. lbs out of a 16 inch barrel. There are a host of other projectiles on the market including a sub-sonic 600 grain Jacketed Boat Tail by Strong Arm Ballistics.

Rifles offered by Alexander Arms include the "Entry Rifle". It has an A3 forged flat-top upper receiver with Picatinny rail. The barrel is sixteen-inch chrome moly with a 1 in 19 right hand twist. The gas system is mid-length with A2 style clam-shell hanguards with heat shields. The gas block is a picatinny rail-type gas block, ready for the installation of a front sight. All .50 Beowulf® Rifles and uppers come furnished with a 7-round magazine. The magazine is the size of a USGI 20-round 5.56MM magazine. The muzzle comes crowned on the Entry Rifle and it is an option to add a factory muzzle brake. The Alexander Arms Muzzle Brake is installed with an anaerobic adhesive and set-screws.

All of the magazines are proprietary design and only available from Alexander Arms. Other than the standard seven round magazine, there are two other options. There is a 10-round magazine that is the same size of a USGI 30-round 5.56MM magazine, and there is a hunting magazine that holds 4-cartridges. All of the magazine are modified AR15/M16/M4 magazines. The modified parts of the magazine to accommodate the .50 Beowulf® are the feed lips, spring, and follower. The rounds are actually stagger-stacked in the magazine even though there is not much room for any stagger. It is possible to modify and use standard USGI magazines, but the only reliable magazines are manufactured for the weapon.

The .50 Beowulf cartridge design uses some familiar dimensions. The case has a rebated-rim that is similar to the available 7.62×39MM bolt face, but is a proprietary bolt. The .50 Beowulf® Bolts are not the same as the 7.62×39 and are treated to withstand stress. The cartridge is considerably larger than the 5.56MM, so the ejection port door has been enlarged on a standard A3 upper receiver, the upper receivers are proprietary and are not available for sale as stripped units (only upper assemblies). With the enlarged opening, the standard dust cover becomes unusable, and is not installed on factory Alexander Arms Uppers and Rifles. Enhanced dust covers are available from custom modifiers such as Steve Lubecki

The .50 Beowulf® recoil is much greater than a standard M4. The recoil can be compared the recoil to shooting a twelve-gauge shotgun. There are ways a shooter can mitigate the recoil, and the felt recoil is considerably less when shooting off-hand compared to prone or on a bench rest. The rifle comes with a standard A2 buttstock, which could be outfitted with a rubber buttpad. The buttstock is often the first thing to be changed on the rifle. The most popular replacement fixed stock is the ACE ARFX with the optional 1″ rubber buttpad. It is an attractive stock that manages some of the felt recoil.

The widest use of the .50 Beowulf® is Hunting. A cartridge that is the epitome of a “brush gun”. It is as if the designer woke up with an idea for a semi automatic .50 caliber muzzle loader that would push the bullets at 2000 feet-per-second. It gives the romance of the 45-70 with distinct technological advances. Men have traveled all of North America with the .50 Beowulf®, all 50 states, including the great wilderness of Alaska where Robert Dresden's famous photo of the one-ton Moose that was dropped with the 400 grain factory loaded Hawk bullets. The most popular game harvested with the .50 Beowulf® is the feral pig / russian boar.

Cartridge Data
    Origin: USA
    Parent Case: .50 Beowulf
    Case Type: Rebated Rim, Straight
    Bullet Diameter: .500 in (12.7mm)
    Neck Diameter: .525 in (13.3 mm)
    Base Diameter: .535 in (13.6 mm)
    Rim Diameter: .445 in (11.3 mm)
    Case Length: 1.65 in (42 mm)
    Overall Length: 2.125 in (54.0 mm)
    Primer Type: Large Pistol

Available Configurations: complete rifles or just upper assemblies with 16" and 24" barrels (limited production). All are flat tops with a "picatinny" top front sight base on the Entry and Plus configurations and the Precision and AWS have a low profile style gas blocks.

Barrels: Chrome Moly 20T 16" Barrels available with or without threaded muzzle 49/64x20 tpi with no shoulder with a dimension of 0.775 in at the muzzle. Midway USA produces and sells a .50 Beowulf Barrel/Bolt combo under the ARstoner Brand of products.

Barrel Extension: The barrel extension is proprietary and .50 beowulf specific creating a large feed ramp rather than the typical dual ramp design for the M4.

Gas Block: Alexander Arms uses a proprietary barrel dimension (.890 in) under the gas block. Alexander Arms uses a Weaver Rail Type Gas Block for the Entry and Plus models and a Low Profile Gas Block for the Precision and AWS models.

Muzzle Devices: Alexander Arms produces the "Pepperpot Brake", which is installed with adhesive and set screws. In 2004 Tromix had produced muzzle devices for only a short amount of time. In 2009 the first two threaded muzzle devices specifically designed for the .50 Beowulf were produced; Umlaut Industries with the FS-50 Flash Suppressor, and King Armory produced the KA-0450 Muzzle Brake, the first engineered brake mitigating recoil. In 2010 Alexander Arms debuted the Millennium Brake which is a gill-port design and they also offer the "Tank Brake" which is a flat steel two port muzzle brake.

Gas System/Handguards: All of Alexander Arms rifles have a mid-length gas impingement operating system. The Entry and Plus model has a military style clamshell handguard with a triangular handguard cap. The Precision model uses a G10 FR4 composite tube with 7075 aluminum alloy barrel nut and the AWS model has a Midwest Industries Free Float Quad Rail.

Lower Receivers: All .50 Beowulf Upper/Lower receivers are designed compatible with all Mil-Specification parts. In the beginning Alexander Arms used Rock River Arms lowers with Alexander Arms information engraved on the right side of the receiver. Currently Alexander Arms produces their own lower receivers contracted through Mega Machine Shop. Alexander Arms has stated that there are no brands of lowers that he recommends to use or not to use, but pointed out that the Alexander Arms' lowers came with ".50 Beowulf" printed on the side. In 2010, Umlaut Industries produced a Limited run (50 units) of the only other ".50 Beowulf" marked lowers, which adorn the viking skull logo.

Upper Receivers & Assemblies: All .50 Beowulf Upper/Lower receivers are designed compatible with all Mil-Specification parts. Alexander Arms uses a proprietary A3 Flat-top Upper receiver. The machined differences include a larger ejection port door for the ease of extraction of the large case size. This would make a standard dust cover with no ability to click shut. Steve Lubecki makes a modified dust cover that will fit and function in the enlarged opening, but no Alexander Arms rifles or uppers include dust covers. Because of the proprietary barrel extension, the upper receiver does not have extended feed ramps.

Bolt/Bolt Carrier: ASTM 9310 equivilant, surface refined, case hardened, peened and phosphated. The bolt is proprietary and only available from Alexander Arms. Alexander Arms uses M16/Full Auto Phosphate Bolt Carriers in all Upper Assemblies and Rifles.

Buffer Assemblies: The 50 Beowulf is designed to work with standard Mil-Spec buffer assemblies, either A2 or M4. Some users have experimented with Hydraulic Buffers, but they are not required.

Buttstocks: The recoil is high energy and the choice of buttstock can mitigate recoil. On the standard A2 buttstock, DPMS sells rubber slip on buttpads. ACE LTD. produces a A2 replacement stock called the ARFX, with a 1/2" and 1" Rubber buttpad option. All M4 collapsible stocks will work, but some collapsible stock can become damaged or break under the stress. The ACE M4-SOCOM stock will NOT work with the .50 Beowulf and will break. Magpul Industries UBR stock is the most robust collapsible stock that also has a 3/4" rubber buttpad option.

Magazines: All of the magazines are proprietary design and only available from Alexander Arms. Available in 4, 7, and 10-round capacities. All of the magazine are modified USGI magazines. The modified parts of the magazine are the feed lips, spring, and follower. The cartridges are actually stagger-stacked in the magazine even though there is not much room for the stagger. Thermold polymer magazies function fairly reliably with no modifications. Magpul Pmags will function with some modifications with a Dremel Tool.

Optics: Majority of .50 Beowulf owners use EOtech holosights. Any optic of preference that is rated to withstand stout recoil will work. Cantilever mounts and other mounts with extended thin rings should be avoided.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have been in contact with Alexander Arms in Virginia. I am interested in building a 50 cal Beowulf pistol. They haven't said no yet, so I'm hoping they come through.

What do you think?
    Jim Smith

That be one man sized pistol! What's that saying? Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber gun. You'll be checkin that box.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If you are considering it for the cool factor- ok.

But if you are looking for a defense gun, I'd go with the 300Blackout; SOCOM (I've heard) is no longer considering these specialty calibers (6.5, 6.8, .50); but 300Blk is still a contender. It's also lighter recoil, uses AR magazines; everything but barrel and gas tube are identical to an AR.

Join us at Jailbreak Brewery in October, we can discuss in person, details here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=160940

You can get the 300Blk in pistol format, so not NFA item.

Can't shoot 50 cal at some ranges, 30 cal ok at all out door ranges I know.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or if you are having the Jonesing for a Big Bore AR postol , a .458 SOCOM will launch bullets of similar weight , at similar vels , albeit of .458 dia , rather than .500 . Think of it as a semiauto Marlin .45-70 .

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you are considering it for the cool factor- ok.

But if you are looking for a defense gun, I'd go with the 300Blackout; SOCOM (I've heard) is no longer considering these specialty calibers (6.5, 6.8, .50); but 300Blk is still a contender. It's also lighter recoil, uses AR magazines; everything but barrel and gas tube are identical to an AR.

Join us at Jailbreak Brewery in October, we can discuss in person, details here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=160940

You can get the 300Blk in pistol format, so not NFA item.

Can't shoot 50 cal at some ranges, 30 cal ok at all out door ranges I know.

I can appreciate your comments and I have had these same thoughts myself. But my reasoning is I don't really want to add another caliber to my arsenal. I already have a Beowulf rifle, so my thinking was to keep the same round for a new build.

Sure, I can build anything I want. I just want to build a Beowulf and call it my little Puppy.

I'd love to make it today, but I've got a month of chores to do this week before I have my knee replaced next Monday.

Thanks for the input,
    Jim Smith

thai

May 8, 2013
    Thinking is will leave a mark on your forehead ;)

Right on! Right on!

That is a heck of a caliber and very easy to handload. I would love to have an SBR in the .50 Beowulf. I got 5 lowers left and one of them are bound to be born into that caliber if I leave the lowers in the dark long enough. You know how those firearms get frisky and multiply when left in the dark too long.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Well, I finally got in touch with someone at AA. Stephanie was her name I do believe. She told me in no uncertain terms that AA has never thought of and never will build a 7 or 8 inch pistol upper. I was taken aback by her attitude, but that's what I was told I would get from them.

Kinda makes me want to sell my Entry upper. Arrogant to say the least. I can see why they are losing their retailers.

Jim Smith

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its do-able. Just chop the barrel to 7" and then you would have to make the Barrel PISTOL Gas. Best bet is ADJUSTABLE Gas, so a SLR Gas Block would be my method. If the Gas Block is non standard then I would modify the barrel diameter to accept a larger gas block.

Whatever Gas Port size they use in the Carbine gas I would go about 20% smaller when its redrilled.

Just re-thread, put on mechanix arm protectors and gloves and find the right gas setting.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Barrel diameter that far back, IIRC, is around .940" - there'd be a little hogging out of a .930" gas-block, but it could be done (I think).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you want to hear them take a tone, tell them how their factory ammo is splitting case walls and they should either discuss that with Starline (brass defect) or load them a touch softer.

Yeah, they weren't too happy talking to me.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I know it can be done, but I'm not wanting to reinvent the firearm. I thought AA would be happy to produce another upper that folks would buy. I'm going to be off from work for 3 months and was looking forward to a project. It won't be a Beowulf, so maybe I'll find something else to pique my interest.

Thanks everyone for your interest,
    Jim Smith

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you want to hear them take a tone, tell them how their factory ammo is splitting case walls and they should either discuss that with Starline (brass defect) or load them a touch softer.

Yeah, they weren't too happy talking to me.

WOW, I can't imagine how they would have gone off on you if they acted this way with me. Talk about being belittled.

Jim Smith

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A.A. has a tendency to take the "I'm taking my ball and going home" approach.

They pissed off a lot of people with their business methods. The way Bill tried to keep the 50Beo and 6.5G under strict control, may have worked in the UK, but it leaves a very sour taste in people's mouths here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom