• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I think if I do get a Shrike, I would add the short barrel with a suppressor. I think it looks much better with the short barrel. I think I would also add an ACOG to it. Then the only question come to the stock... I would have to have something with a higher comb. Magpul makes the AR stocks that do, so I think I would add that or try and get a M249 stock to fit but I hear there are issues there.

The other thing I think would be really cool is to make adapters to mount it to one of those new M192 light tripods.
    3879838797_b380708b48_b.jpg

Sort of like this (But not on the older M60/1919a4 M2 Pod.)
    1336750117_pulemet-ares-shrike-s-granatometom-m-203.jpg

shrike_tripod.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ares defense includes a bag of TEN links with the gun. So much for high cap out of the box. But they are reuseable if you can find them. Its a ten round burp followed by. Upham, we need more ammo. And I don't have mortar shells to lob at charging paper targets. I hope the cool factor instills fear with zombies

wow they are sure being generous :rolleyes:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Probably more about a legal issue than them being cheap...

After all, would 30 really be so much better? They know you are going to have to buy a bunch more anyway.

I get the legal implications but if they are loose they are single shots...and when you throw down that much $$$ for a belt fed upper...I would want at least 100 links to try it out...10rds is enough to piss you off...lol

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I get the legal implications but if they are loose they are single shots...and when you throw down that much $$$ for a belt fed upper...I would want at least 100 links to try it out...10rds is enough to piss you off...lol

Don't worry, most people who own them waited 10 years to get them after they put down their deposit... plenty of time to get links!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I think if I do get a Shrike, I would add the short barrel with a suppressor. I think it looks much better with the short barrel. I think I would also add an ACOG to it. Then the only question come to the stock... I would have to have something with a higher comb. Magpul makes the AR stocks that do, so I think I would add that or try and get a M249 stock to fit but I hear there are issues there.

The other thing I think would be really cool is to make adapters to mount it to one of those new M192 light tripods.
    3879838797_b380708b48_b.jpg

Sort of like this (But not on the older M60/1919a4 M2 Pod.)
    1336750117_pulemet-ares-shrike-s-granatometom-m-203.jpg

shrike_tripod.jpg

Dude...stop with the subliminal messages.. Its working..... If my wife finds out. I' m dead.

A higher stock is a good idea.. Especially with optics , im going with an eotech mounted on the front handguard rail with a FTS 4X magnifier mounted on the top cover. I really do not trust the top cover to hold zero. an aimpoint is also in the running for the optics.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Dude...stop with the subliminal messages.. Its working..... If my wife finds out. I' m dead.

A higher stock is a good idea.. Especially with optics , im going with an eotech mounted on the front handguard rail with a FTS 4X magnifier mounted on the top cover. I really do not trust the top cover to hold zero. an aimpoint is also in the running for the optics.

Oh were they subliminal? I was trying to be more obvious!:lol2: If your wife can still tell when you get new stuff, then you obviously don't have enough! I could get a new Maxim and my wife could not tell.

You know I have always wondered about top cover mounted optics. The 1917 Browning and ever Maxim and Vickers had the Iron sights on topcovers. I have seen optics on MG42 and M60 top covers. You see FALs and AK47s with optics on top covers. So I guess it happens but what degree it throws the Zero off I don't know. I am guessing you got the latest version with the higher rail that is the same height as the top cover rail. I love my Eotech on my Subgun. However I think the ACOG would be what I wanted on a rifle caliber gun to give me that extra range. You are getting that with the magnifier which is a good idea I think. I have not used a ACOG enough to know how much I do or don't like them.

How about a bipod? I don't really like the Harris or whatever that standard one is. I like the ones more like what the BAR has.

I am good at spending money on guns. My friends know it and have never lost a dime or regretted it. I was just sharing my ideas on what I would do if I got a Shrike. With the jump in M16 prices, I got priced out. So its looking like I will be picking up an AR18 next as a stepping stone gun. That is after the set back of a new truck and all the Semis I am being forced to buy. My SPAS 12 got shipped yesterday!

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Ares defense includes a bag of TEN links with the gun. So much for high cap out of the box. But they are reuseable if you can find them. Its a ten round burp followed by. Upham, we need more ammo. And I don't have mortar shells to lob at charging paper targets. I hope the cool factor instills fear with zombies

Is that the same bag with the note " If you want belt feed that is a $3000 option" which you don't find out till you get the gun?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You have a point there.... I have never lost money on a machinegun and values keep on appreciating, more than any other investments right now.

My wife know how much stuff i have as I forgot that she's an accountant. LOL. I have a modest collection of sticks that have happy switches on them and more than what would be considered as reasonable by most folks. but this comes from over 30 years of collecting stuff. One more should not really make a difference, if it makes it into the safe, it has always been there.

As for the receiver cover mounted optics, the cover gets manipulated all the time. It is only a matter of time when wear on the hinged part results in play. Im sticking with an eotech and magnifier combo. the magnifier does not have to be rigid, a little should be okay.

For the stock, I'm just wondering if the FN 249 SAW stock would fit an AR tube? I can probably get it to work with a little machining. that should solve the cheekweld issue. For a bipod, im going with a steel grip-pod. It should provide the sufficient support for accurate burst fire and maintain compactness/ portability.

I will be mounting an AAC flash suppressing 51-T brakeout as a muzzle device, that should help with muzzle flip and allow me to install a can on it if needed.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I mounted a drum fed SKS to a tripod because I am poor, your bank accounts make me sad :(.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    if it was me, I would try for a whole SAW mock up with para stock. I have seen some M249 Recievers for sale not too long ago.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Do these come with the option for a semi or auto bolt carrier? Engage Armament had one when I worked there, but the carrier was milled like a semi-auto BCG, and wouldn't work with a sear.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Do these come with the option for a semi or auto bolt carrier? Engage Armament had one when I worked there, but the carrier was milled like a semi-auto BCG, and wouldn't work with a sear.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

Semi carrier, a full auto carrier is available as an option.

But for me, the semi carrier works, im sending it out for mods to fit a ferfrans rate reducer anyways

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    You have a point there.... I have never lost money on a machinegun and values keep on appreciating, more than any other investments right now.

My wife know how much stuff i have as I forgot that she's an accountant. .....As for the receiver cover mounted optics, the cover gets manipulated all the time. It is only a matter of time when wear on the hinged part results in play. Im sticking with an eotech and magnifier combo. the magnifier does not have to be rigid, a little should be okay.

For the stock, I'm just wondering if the FN 249 SAW stock would fit an AR tube? I can probably get it to work with a little machining. that should solve the cheekweld issue. For a bipod, im going with a steel grip-pod. It should provide the sufficient support for accurate burst fire and maintain compactness/ portability.

I will be mounting an AAC flash...

Yeah guns seem to be the best investment these days. People always ask me if I think its better to invest in Gold or Guns if things start to go bad. I always say guns... because with guns you can get gold. ;)

An Accountant wife... man, sorry... you are right, she is going to notice the money...

I hear you on the top cover. I will think that over too. I see your point and it may be a better solution.

Which FN Stock? There are at least three? I have thought of that too but I have also thought why bother, the mag pul stock should work perfect. However I do agree the FN stocks look better. I would really like that one that turns 90 degrees and collapses.

I have to part with you on the grip pod. Frankly I think they are the worst looking things to happen to guns since tapco started putting AR stocks on everything. I hate them. They are not much of a bipod either. They scream want-to-be to me. However they are a bit convenient which I do understand but still hate them.

Man, i need to find an attenuated tripod mount like the ones used on the SAGE EBR Rifles

I am not sure but I think you may be referring to the one I suggested. The new M192 light tripod.

Whoah! I like that set-up.. I guess the 249 stock works

This one is on gunbroker.

I have heard mixed reviews on them fitting mil spec AR tubes. Some seem tight, others don't fit at all... I am not sure what is going on there but it may take some fitting. I don't see any easy way to open up the inside of the stock tube either...

I'm going to be so frackin broke..... more goodies for the MCR... Damn Googlefoo

http://www.thomasmcassidy.com/

I need some uptight-SAW boxes and a couple of the modified bolt catch

Yes I am sure more good items to come. They all seem a lot cheaper if you are not getting them from ARES.

if it was me, I would try for a whole SAW mock up with para stock. I have seen some M249 Recievers for sale not too long ago.

Yes but how much were they? It seems $10K is about the price to get into one of these semi SAWs. I do like the para stock too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom