• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reechee

Tacticool
    Oct 4, 2010
    HarCo
    Does anyone have any knowledge of what can be done with NFA items (SBRs, etc) if someone is moving to a state with more strict gun control laws (like california)? Theres the change of address form of course.

I assume "assault weapons" would need to be left behind in storage since they are definitely not CA-compliant and I have no intentions of neutering guns I put so much time and effort into.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    You can secure your items is a safe to which only you have access at appropriate storage facilities, usually NFA dealers that offers such storage services.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    +1 about NFA dealers storing your items.

I Am Not A Lawyer. If you have a trust, you also might want to look into designating/adding a trustee living in a permissive state to take possession as part of that legal entity.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    You can secure your items is a safe to which only you have access at appropriate storage facilities, usually NFA dealers that offers such storage services.

So a SOT would allow you to bring in your own safe (to which they do not have access), and rent you the space for a nominal fee?

OP, are the firearms currently owned by you personally, or in a trust?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Right from the ATF.

Q: If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual’s application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have?

NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.
    The firearms may also be transferred under the procedures referred to in “What are the required transfer procedures for an individual who is not qualified as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of NFA firearms?” or abandoned to ATF.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Sorry about your move... you don't often hear about moving to a LESS gun friendly state than Maryland.... wow. Good luck.

MD is actually very NFA friendly.

You can own anything besides Explosive DDs and MSP currently signs off Form 1/4s if you aren't prohibited.

reechee

Tacticool
    Oct 4, 2010
    HarCo
    Not sure if I'll be moving, it's just a possibility I'm considering at this point. I've got to admit that I've got a broner for California for some reason. Spent a week in yosemite and a couple of days in san fransisco and I was hooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom