• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ELCAM

Dec 17, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have a pending form 1 for an AR SBR build. My question is can I put together my build and just hold off on the stock and therefore have an AR pistol? The lower was bought stripped in Maryland so it's a registered lower . Would just keeping the gun assembled with no stock on the carbine buffer tube(and not having the stock in my residence) keep me legal?

Is an AR pistol legit with a normal carbine buffer tube with no stock attached? Or do you have to use a pistol buffer tube?

Thanks!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you have other AR rifles, I wouldn't have the upper in the house at all. I know somewhere someone has posted the law concerning this issue. Since the AR is modular, you can't have a SBR upper available to be used with any lower until you receive your stamp.

Be careful,
    Jim Smith

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    You can build it as a pistol IF it was transferred on the federal 4473 form as an "OTHER".

You should check with the dealer to be sure it was transferred correctly. The dealers have 3 choices on the form; Handgun, Long gun and Other.

I would also suggest using a Pistol style buffer tube that will not accept a stock.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you can put a stock on the buffer tube, it's a bad idea. A pistol buffer tube cannot accept a stock. That's the safest way IMO.

Read some of the threads here on constructive possession. BATFE frowns on it in a serious way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom