• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    @lou45… had a similar experience on one of my deltas. Not as bad tho. Oakley's saved my face and it blew the base plate off the Tripp mag (welded base, BTW)

Do you have a delta emblem scar on your hand? Because that would be bad ass

I was wearing OSHA approved safety glasses when that happened so needless that was a good thing. The rest of the right side of my face from the center of my nose took a number of small pieces and finer particles of brass that embedded into the skin; hadda' pop the festers that the finer embedded particles created about a week later to get them out. The bigger pieces that were visible I pulled out with tweezers. One piece embedded in my into the gristle right in the front of my nose; that was hell trying to pull that piece out without it breaking off and leaving part of it stuck in the gristle.

The emblem in the hand??? Naahhh, I just rubbed it out..........................many times.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I get it. The only way to get that would with a ramped, fully supported barrel. That would require machining of the frame and so on. The standard barrel, such as this one but properly throated, would be okay for +P being the throating isn't cut as deep.

From the brass appearance I could run standard loads through the pistol with the present barrel it but it still wouldn't be right. I may until I get a Kart barrel to replace it.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I get it. The only way to get that would with a ramped, fully supported barrel. That would require machining of the frame and so on. The standard barrel, such as this one but properly throated, would be okay for +P being the throating isn't cut as deep.

From the brass appearance I could run standard loads through the pistol with the present barrel it but it still wouldn't be right. I may until I get a Kart barrel to replace it.

Now ya' talkin' some sense, standard pressure loads only fo' dat gat with that barrel.

clutchNthrottle

Deadpooligan
    Feb 2, 2012
    Harford
    Shot a box out of my M9 yesterday...:ohnoes: without fault or anomaly. The lot # was 14160024. The slide stayed intact, no injuries to report, and upon inspecting the brass, no defects were noted.

I also shot a box of ZQI 5.56 and 7.62 (at $9.97 for 30rd and 20rd boxes of each, it's the cheapest local brass cased ammo in these calibers that I've seen) out of my M&P Sport and sub $300 Rem 770 (cantaloupe groupings @ 100yrds :brows:). Each round went bang and penetrated BOTH paper AND clay!!! :shocked: Won't hesitate to buy again. :thumbsup:

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    They had a decent amount of ZQI at the North East Walmart today. I decided to get another box since they had plenty. Given it is $12.97 a box, accurate, more pop and about the cheapest brass 9mm there I will be shooting a ton more of it!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    They had a decent amount of ZQI at the North East Walmart today. I decided to get another box since they had plenty. Given it is $12.97 a box, accurate, more pop and about the cheapest brass 9mm there I will be shooting a ton more of it!

I'l be hittin' wally mart t'morrow for some 20 gauge ammo fer SNI so I'll be checkin' on gettin' s'more 9mm ZQI.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County

I also frequent the north east wally world! Ammo shelf has been looking good lately! I've shot this stuff out of my 92FS without incident.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ZQI sent an RMA for the balance of the ammo and the fired cases. They were cool about it and even sent me a free box of ammo. :D

Before I got the return package I fired 4 rounds of the ZQI in this hot box out of my M&P which has a chamber which is fully supported but very loose. The primers show a good bit of wiping from primer extrusion. The case webs expanded approximately .004" to .005" greater than WIN Value Pack cases expanded. That is pic #1..

Additionally, I fired six rounds of Federal HST 147 grain +P and another box of Winchester factory 115 grain FMJ out of the 1911 as well. No abnormal pressure signs were observed. So the barrel will support a +P load. Pics #2 & #4.

A comparison pic of the primers signs of the ZQI and a handload (+P+ head stamp) fired from the M&P. The M&P causes a tear drop or triangular shaped extrusion on the primer. Pic #3.

Primer indicators of the ZQI, Fed +P and WIN fired from the 1911. Pic #4.

Attachments

• M&P, ZQI Side view, primer lateral view.JPG
      M&P, ZQI Side view, primer lateral view.JPG
      34.3 KB · Views: 218
    • 9mm 1911, FC +P casehead 1.JPG
      9mm 1911, FC +P casehead 1.JPG
      33.5 KB · Views: 213
    • M&P, Primer comparison.JPG
      M&P, Primer comparison.JPG
      47.1 KB · Views: 220
    • 9mm 1911, Primer signs 1.JPG
      9mm 1911, Primer signs 1.JPG
      44.4 KB · Views: 215

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    Is it the way the ammo is being fed/ejected that has caused the brass to warp like that? Definitely a scary issue. My untrained guess would have been ammo, but seeing some here believe it to be the firearm has my curiosity on how the firearm would make the brass bulge that way.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I bought 100 rounds of this to try before I found this thread. I was using it in a glock 23 with 9mm barrel. I fired 240 rounds of other ammo including 20 +P. With out a problem . On my 3rd round of ZQI 9mm nato the case bulged and locked up my pistol. Had to run a rod down the barrel to get the action to open again. Had the range dispose of the remaining 97 rounds. I will not be using it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom