• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I picked up a TAC65 in the group buy. I am disappointed with the loud first-round pop and the inconsistent sound signature. The Silencer Store will recore the TAC65 and people are very pleased with the results. I couldn't find a bad review. They will put stainless baffles in, which will improve the longevity and make it easier to clean.

My question: Is there a problem with having stainless baffles in an aluminum tube? Can't that cause corrosion of the aluminum?

I know I should have bought a Sparrow, but didn't.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    My question: Is there a problem with having stainless baffles in an aluminum tube? Can't that cause corrosion of the aluminum?
    Technically, there is a galvanic corrosion risk for aluminum and stainless. But GC is a risk in the presence of an electrolyte. If you run your can in damp conditions (rain, high humidity) it could be a problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you only use it in the dry, and store it with a dessicant pack or something like that.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Technically, there is a galvanic corrosion risk for aluminum and stainless. But GC is a risk in the presence of an electrolyte. If you run your can in damp conditions (rain, high humidity) it could be a problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you only use it in the dry, and store it with a dessicant pack or something like that.

Thanks. I didn't imagine they would offer something that would kill your suppressor, but recall hearing that some metals don't mix well.

Wonder if it can be recored for FA or for use on a FiveSeven.
    I'd definitely be interested in that.

Not that I have come across in looking for a way to make my suppressor quieter.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Their re-coring is fantastic. Sounds like a SWR/Silencerco once they are done.

Corrosion CAN occur but that often happens when you introduce water/abatements to the can and don't clean it afterwards. Using a light coating of Synthetic Bearing Grease in the outer edges of the baffles will prevent corrosion unless you are a butt-monkey and don't clean the biach.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Their re-coring is fantastic. Sounds like a SWR/Silencerco once they are done.

Corrosion CAN occur but that often happens when you introduce water/abatements to the can and don't clean it afterwards. Using a light coating of Synthetic Bearing Grease in the outer edges of the baffles will prevent corrosion unless you are a butt-monkey and don't clean the biach.

:lol: I will try not to be a butt monkey.

I keep all my stuff clean. Part of the fun of owning it is cleaning it, IMO. I guess I can always store it disassembled. I will send it off soon. Can't wait to have a Hollywood quiet .22 can.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    :lol: I will try not to be a butt monkey.

I keep all my stuff clean. Part of the fun of owning it is cleaning it, IMO. I guess I can always store it disassembled. I will send it off soon. Can't wait to have a Hollywood quiet .22 can.

Speaking of Hollywood, does anyone know where the movie industry got the high pitched peeew peeew sound on silencers? We all know that's not the sound of real suppressed rounds, although where the hell did they get that sound effect?

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just had a thought--I would think just firing a suppressor would heat it up enough to drive any moisture out, unless you store it in a damp/humid environment. So your plan to store it disassembled sounds like it will work just dandy--simply using it after reassembly will burn off any moisture.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just had a thought--I would think just firing a suppressor would heat it up enough to drive any moisture out, unless you store it in a damp/humid environment. So your plan to store it disassembled sounds like it will work just dandy--simply using it after reassembly will burn off any moisture.

When I use it, it gets plenty hot. :D

One thing I have done that helps with the cleaning / carrosion / and furthering the noise abaetment is add a thin smear of Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant (8 oz) - Permatex 80078. This helps in the desasembly when you shoot the shit out of it and also in the removal of the core for cleaning. And the little that is in there also as acts as the wet for a wet supressore.

The bottle linked below has lasted me about 3 years now and works quite well.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/anti-seize-lubricant-8-oz-80078?gclid=CK_KjqDPqLoCFY6Z4Aod530AMQ

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    One thing I have done that helps with the cleaning / carrosion / and furthering the noise abaetment is add a thin smear of Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant (8 oz) - Permatex 80078. This helps in the desasembly when you shoot the shit out of it and also in the removal of the core for cleaning. And the little that is in there also as acts as the wet for a wet supressore.

The bottle linked below has lasted me about 3 years now and works quite well.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/anti-seize-lubricant-8-oz-80078?gclid=CK_KjqDPqLoCFY6Z4Aod530AMQ

Thanks! I'll order some.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So I sent the suppressor out to The Silencer Store 10/30/13. They got it 11/2/13. I got the notice today that it is being shipped back. Hope to get it by the weekend so I can give a report on how I like it.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Speaking of Hollywood, does anyone know where the movie industry got the high pitched peeew peeew sound on silencers? We all know that's not the sound of real suppressed rounds, although where the hell did they get that sound effect?

I once read about a guy who made a 9mm can on a form 1 who got that sound. Not sure where now...

He went to the range to try out his new can, and much to his and the RSO's surprise, it sounded EXACTLY like a Hollywood suppressor. Upon disassembling the can for cleaning, he realized that he cut the tolerances a bit too close upon finding shavings of the jacket inside the baffles.

IIRC, he cut the baffles to 0.358 or 0.359 or something CRAZY CLOSE like that.

But back to your question: It's the sound of an incoming subsonic round if you're too far away from the firearm to hear the muzzle report. Stand 150yd downrange, and have a trusted friend shoot at a target near you -- supposedly it sounds the same. I don't have any friends, so I don't know. :lol2:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I once read about a guy who made a 9mm can on a form 1 who got that sound. Not sure where now...

He went to the range to try out his new can, and much to his and the RSO's surprise, it sounded EXACTLY like a Hollywood suppressor. Upon disassembling the can for cleaning, he realized that he cut the tolerances a bit too close upon finding shavings of the jacket inside the baffles.

IIRC, he cut the baffles to 0.358 or 0.359 or something CRAZY CLOSE like that.

But back to your question: It's the sound of an incoming subsonic round if you're too far away from the firearm to hear the muzzle report. Stand 150yd downrange, and have a trusted friend shoot at a target near you -- supposedly it sounds the same. I don't have any friends, so I don't know. :lol2:

I certainly don't have any close friends I trust to shoot "near" me. :)

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks for this topic Teratos. I too have the TAC65 and get annoyed at the first pop.
    Please let us know how things are compared to the before sounds.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks for this topic Teratos. I too have the TAC65 and get annoyed at the first pop.
    Please let us know how things are compared to the before sounds.

I got it today. I did fire a few rounds through it. The first round pop is all but gone. It is considerably quieter than it was. I think I'm happy with it now. I am going to go to my in-laws tomorrow and run 50 rounds through it. I'll give another report.

A question for gurus: is there a "best" way to orient the baffles? Does it even matter?

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    I got it today. I did fire a few rounds through it. The first round pop is all but gone. It is considerably quieter than it was. I think I'm happy with it now. I am going to go to my in-laws tomorrow and run 50 rounds through it. I'll give another report.

A question for gurus: is there a "best" way to orient the baffles? Does it even matter?

Damn it!!! Now you make me want to send mine in :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom