• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmarsh778

Feb 26, 2010
    Davidsonville
    Heavier bullets if you do not want to drill port

In a 10.5 inch Bushmaster I had the same issue with not enough gas. Tried the heavier buffers, pigtails, etc with no improvement. I was always shooting the run of the mill 55 gr ammo. Had the opportunity to shoot 62 gr Federal and it ran like a top. Expensive, but it ran. Seems the slightly slower velocity gave the gas system enough time to work before the bullet left the barrel. A piston conversion will solve your problem and be cheaper than Federal premium ammo!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What make of 55gr ammo?

Velocity may not have been the issue, but volume of gas. Most commercial 55gr is loaded to .223 spec, which may not have provided sufficient gas volume to cycle.

The heavier buffers and pigtails are typically used for over-gassed guns, not under-gassed.

*And the piston conversion, is more likely to lead to at least 3 new issues instead of solving 1 issue.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    In a 10.5 inch Bushmaster I had the same issue with not enough gas. Tried the heavier buffers, pigtails, etc with no improvement. I was always shooting the run of the mill 55 gr ammo. Had the opportunity to shoot 62 gr Federal and it ran like a top. Expensive, but it ran. Seems the slightly slower velocity gave the gas system enough time to work before the bullet left the barrel. A piston conversion will solve your problem and be cheaper than Federal premium ammo!

A piston will certainly not help in a sbr ar15

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I thank Jesus pretty often that you saw the light ;). No joke.

You are in my prayers because your a friend, but I like to add some humor to my prayers.

There's no denying, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Gave that setup EVERY single possible chance to redeem itself, it just couldn't do it.

I believe a higher power finally stepped in and said 'Brad, stop this foolishness. Get rid of that POS.' Thankfully, the message was heard loud and clear. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There's no denying, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Gave that setup EVERY single possible chance to redeem itself, it just couldn't do it.

I believe a higher power finally stepped in and said 'Brad, stop this foolishness. Get rid of that POS.' Thankfully, the message was heard loud and clear. :D

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom