• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    M79s are cool and all, but a grenade launcher without grenades isn't as cool.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    The MagLite flashlight gun might be a fun project. Replace the center bulb with a ring of LEDs to make the flashlight feature work and have the barrel in the center. You could even do an internal suppressor for an extra level of cool. :cool: But then it would probably need to be an AOW and a silencer.

That would be awesome! Perhaps you could integrate a laser sight, too. Then you'd have an accurate flashlight gun.

I like that feature. :thumbsup:

To get around the additional silencer tax stamp, he could always just make it with 2 different internal barrels. One full length, and a second one shorter and threaded to accept a can he already has approved. Both set ups would be completely contained within the body of the MagLite.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I saw one at the SAR show in York a few years back and I could have sworn it was flat on the end and had a circle of chambers around the outside and a few more chambers in the middle. Maybe I am having a senior moment.:o

You're probably right. I'd guess that more than one company has made these over the years.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Here's a crazy question. Can Marylanders open carry an AOW outside the home without a permit? There are handgun restrictions, but an AOW isn't a handgun.

However, it is concealable.

(1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.

2010 Maryland Code
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 4 - WEAPON CRIMES
    Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
    Section 4-101 - Dangerous weapons.

Kind of hard to say you are on a bonafide hunting trip, or sporting activity

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Where do you draw the line between concealable and not concealable?

I feel like an AOW 12 gauge shorty shouldn't be considered concealable.

Not too tough to conceal in a coat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 138

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    How about a 20mm Lahti Gun?

I can get you one with plenty of ammo if you are equal to the task. ;)

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I want to have every type of NFA item, all I lack is a DD and an AOW. Any suggestions on interesting items in those categories?

Jim, I am usually all for getting more NFA weapons. However I have to say I don't know that I would suggest getting one from every category just to do it. I have found that if its not something you really want and can use, then you will spend a fair amount of money just to sell it off later when the novelty wears off. I mean yeah its cool to say I have one of every kind of NFA weapon, but then after that sinks in for 1 minute, the follow up so what are they?

I think the Thumper is really cool but even with the beehive rounds, do you think you will really get to shoot it much or at all? Those chalk rounds are like $40 or more each. Same with the Flash light guns, its cool to look at but are you really going to shoot it?

If you got money to burn, hey why not. However you will wind up dumping a lot of money into these when you could put your money into something else that might not be in those two categories but might be a lot more fun to own.

I tried to think of items to suggest to you but frankly I can't think of much from those two categories worth having. AOWs... really nothing IMHO. DDs... well a 20mm would be awesome if you have a place to shoot it and actually use it. Otherwise 50 BMG is overkill at the AGC 200 yard range.

I, at one time, wanted each major battle rifle from WWII. Well I got the Mauser which I really did want. I got a Mosin for $65 which I could not beat. Then I was looking for an Enfield and remembered how much I dislike British firearms. Then I was looking at Jap and Italian guns and remembered I was not much of a reloader. I got a Garand just because its semi auto and CMP sells them at that affordable price. So after a while I just liked the idea of the novelty of having one from each country. Frankly 2 bolt guns is 1 more than I need but at $65, I just can't see selling the M44! Looking back on it, I am glad I stopped myself from wasting a bunch of money on guns I would have bought and never shot rather than the guns I have now and love.

There are some people that collect categories... I mean some guys have 200 Mosins and love them. They tend to be more collectors rather than shooters. While I am happy for those people and am not criticizing them in anyway, its not for me. From what I have seen of your gun collection, I don't see you as a category type collect. So my suggestion is skip the "got to be a DD or AOW" and get something you want and will shoot!

Just my 2 cents :D

If you I was picking something for you, I would say look at a MG08/15 or 1919a4. The SG43 is cool but there really is nothing like Full Auto belt feds. Both of those guns can shoot 7.62x54r which is 22 cents a round and dropping...

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Lahti L-39 is just plain awesome! With a kid on the way, its just too big though. Its amazing how much stuff a woman can acquire for a baby.... Whatever I buy will have to be reasonably compact.

I really like the mag-lite gun idea. Sounds like a neat machining project, which is right up my alley. I'm going to do some CAD to see what I can come up with.

I was excited about the thumper, until I saw how much a parts kit costs. Yeah, that's out unless I build it completely from scratch. I'm kind of leaning toward the mortar idea right now.... Will have to see if its possible to make my own chalk rounds at home first though.

Great ideas, all, thanks keep 'em coming if you think of something ridiculously cool we've overlooked.

-Jim

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    No collection is complete without a serbu super shorty, keg9 and a 40 mm grenade launcher.

I think I've got the small shotgun category covered. Still love the 40mm idea, just got to see if I can find a way without getting too crazy expensive. The MG's are expensive enough to feed :-)

-Jim

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389048957192.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1389048957192.jpg
      103.8 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM