• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Since all of the cool semi-autos are off the market in MD, I’ve decided to save my pennies and do another Class III at some point in the near future (every time I see a cool gun that I can no longer legally buy or bring into the formerly free-state of Maryland, I put five bucks in a jar. Thanks to Shotgun News, this is becoming a pretty good savings account fairly quickly).

Am still lining up options for what my purchase will be, but one of the ones I’m thinking about is an M-2 carbine. I’ve got a couple of M-1 carbines, so I’m not unfamiliar with the platform, but was wondering if anyone had advice (pro or con) about manufacturers or other considerations pre-purchase.

Am willing to be talked into something else too, so any comments welcome. My other strong contender is a Ruger AC556. Am looking for something that I can get for 6- 8K that will use magazines that I either have or can get easily in PA/VA. Thanks in advance for the advice and insight.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    First you have to decide if you want a registered receiver or a trigger pack you can drop into the m1s you already have.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I am not a fan of the M1 Carbine. To me, it just sucks. However the M2 is a pretty cool gun. Not super easy to control but not hard. Mag size is good with 20s and 30s. Of course you are in the historic guns here, not a modern gun that you are going to suppress or add optics to. I assume you are ok with giving up optics and suppressors. Gun prices are ok and in your range. I don't know the specific manufactures or conversions enough to comment. The real downside is ammo. Are you reloading? Are you good at reloading. Remember squibs kill FA guns as you will put a round behind it pretty fast!

Ruger AC556s are pretty nice.

If you can find an FNC, I would suggest that over the Ruger but they have been above $10K lately but I have had two friends buy them in the $8.5K range recently. AR18s are kind of in the same boat.

That said, if you just want a shooter, a M11 is the way to go. 9mm, 22LR with tons of uppers to get. Slow and fast fire. Modern railed uppers...etc.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks... hadn't thought about an FNC, but that's something to think about.

I'm not into reloading (but need to be). Have been picking up brass for a few years in preparation of the day when I take the plunge. Actually, the only squib I've ever had was in a FA (my first... like everyone's first was an M-11).... fortunately, I had the presence of mind to check the barrel after something "sounded wrong". Sure enough, there it was. I keep the projectile with my cufflinks as a reminder to never take anything for granted when it comes to safety.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    The M2 would not be one of my top choices either. As noted by IMBLITZVT, it can be a little tough to control in full auto. Limited upgrade options, one caliber with no options for .22 of other calibers. If you want it shoot, you might be happier in the long run with another weapon. Come to the TCA show and tell at AGG on 3/23. You get to see LOTS of choices.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    That sounds like a good idea... I'm not jumping into anything, just feeling out some options. So many choices... so little disposable income :-)

I'll make sure that we have at least one M2 at the show.

Edit. Just confirmed that we'll have two M2s on display. And I'll bring an FNC.

Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    If you plan to shoot ANY machinegun you need to consider how rare and expensive replacement parts are.

Thats true. Just about anything can and will be fixed in the FA world. FNCs and AR18s are hard to find parts for. The other thing to think about is being able to change out uppers, if possible. On the AR18, you can. On the FNC, you can't because the upper is the receiver.

... Come to the TCA show and tell at AGG on 3/23. You get to see LOTS of choices.

Yes great idea! Come out to the AGC show. You can talk to real owners of these guns for hours! You can see the other options and get a price from the owners of how much they are going for.

That sounds like a good idea... I'm not jumping into anything, just feeling out some options. So many choices... so little disposable income :-)

My MGs are far out performing my 401K!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom