• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    My Yeti 65 lives in the back of my pickup truck. It is locked using a 6' cable and long shank master lock. I got it at Dick's with a 20% off coupon and a few $10 off survey checks.

Need to find a local source for dry ice.

My local Safeway sells dry ice. YMMV

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Yeti and Pelican are both top tier, all the others are not nearly as good.

Buy the Pelican, it's $100 less than the equally great Yeti.

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Cooler-Reviews/Pelican-45-Elite

Also, use block ice, will last much longer than crushed ice or cubes. Simply put a heavy duty freezer bag (75%) full of water in the freezer. Just make sure it's sealed well. Do several, works great.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Got an igloo and a Coleman... both about 10 yrs old, both 100+ quart coolers. The igloo had three deer for a little over 4 days with ice. No bad meat.

The yeti type are nice.. tough and keep ice.. all the big salt water guys had 'em. Opening and closing the cooler a lot, the pounding from the big water... the cheaper coolers aren't made for that.

Keep block ice, and the cooler shut... the inexpensive ones will do the job.

Want status, get a yeti.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    If you buy a Yeti, you are paying about 10% towards product, and 90% to advertising, and free coolers to TV personalities. If you are ok, with that, then go for it.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    A hog isn't going to fit in that Yeti cooler. We filled 2 150 qt Igloo coolers with hog meat from 3 hogs and they were packed. Got them from Sams Club for around $75 ea.

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    I can vouch for the Yeti. I have a Tundra 35 and use the
    Artic Ice packs and it works great.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I highly recommend AO coolers, http://www.aocoolers.com/ . It is a soft side cooler that I use for my hunting trips. Its great because you can pack it in your regular luggage on your way out, only weighs about 5lbs empty. I have been able to pack more than 50lbs of meat into it and leave room for dry ice to keep it cold for the trip home. I carry it on and it fits in the overhead of most commercial airlines.

It also does a great job of keeping ice and things frozen. I packed it full of ice and frozen food for one trip. Threw it in the bed of my pickup on a 98 degree day and drove for 10 hours. When I arrived at my destination the ice hadn't melted and all of the food was frozen with frost on the outside of the packages. I have had mine for 2 years and it is holding up great. Best cooler I have ever had.

You can order them online or pick one up at West Marine or offroad truck shops.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I highly recommend AO coolers, http://www.aocoolers.com/ . It is a soft side cooler that I use for my hunting trips. Its great because you can pack it in your regular luggage on your way out, only weighs about 5lbs empty. I have been able to pack more than 50lbs of meat into it and leave room for dry ice to keep it cold for the trip home. I carry it on and it fits in the overhead of most commercial airlines.

It also does a great job of keeping ice and things frozen. I packed it full of ice and frozen food for one trip. Threw it in the bed of my pickup on a 98 degree day and drove for 10 hours. When I arrived at my destination the ice hadn't melted and all of the food was frozen with frost on the outside of the packages. I have had mine for 2 years and it is holding up great. Best cooler I have ever had.

You can order them online or pick one up at West Marine or offroad truck shops.

Klunatic which one do you have? I'm going to need something to bring back meat from Canada in the fall on a commercial airline. Was thinking of buying a yeti and shipping it as checked bags but the ability to take this as a carry on in intriguing. If all 4 of us buy one we'll have more than enough space to bring home meat.

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    BJ's has the Coleman Xtreme Marine Cooler 150qt right now for 69.99, with a coupon ended up being 48 bucks. Can't beat that price. I'd love a Yeti/Pelican/Engel but i'd like to find scratch and dent prices on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom