• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    One acceptable G&S the MSP approved was for business owners. My question is, how much of a business owners do you have to be? What about people that work for someone or someplace, but also have a side business of some kind. Like a electrician, carpenter, or mechanic that may work 2-4 days on the side for them selves. These people are often claiming their income to the IRS because they are making allot on the side as a small or side business.

Don't they qualify to apply with a good enough G&S as a business owners even if it's not their main job? They are working for them selves and are carrying large sums of money.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    One acceptable G&S the MSP approved was for business owners. My question is, how much of a business owners do you have to be? What about people that work for someone or someplace, but also have a side business of some kind. Like a electrician, carpenter, or mechanic that may work 2-4 days on the side for them selves. These people are often claiming their income to the IRS because they are making allot on the side as a small or side business.

Don't they qualify to apply with a good enough G&S as a business owners even if it's not their main job? They are working for them selves and are carrying large sums of money.

I would bet that MD will only recognize a 'side business' if MD gets some tax revenue off of it.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Can anyone confirm or disprove that adding "for self-defense and all lawful purposes" as an answer to question 9a, regardless of previously acceptable justifications, will result in a non denial-denial?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Can anyone confirm or disprove that adding "for self-defense and all lawful purposes" as an answer to question 9a, regardless of previously acceptable justifications, will result in a non denial-denial?

Thats a very good question. When they sent the app's back and said that they did not have a G&S, did they go into any detail on why self-defense and all lawful purposes is not good enough?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

You just have to prove you are dealing with large sums of money. Even then, your restrictions are going to be "to and from the bank". Some people have gotten them based on transporting expensive equipment (musical instruments, photography, even machine guns).

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    I got home today after being away for 5 days. Found a large envelope in the mail from MSP. They were returning everything to me, including the check, application, photos, etc., because I had not given a Good and Substantial reason and that they did not want to deny me because of the appeal of Legg's ruling at this time.

The letter stated that I could re-apply with a G & S reason or just wait unto the appeal from the appellate court.

However, they did run a criminal check on me since that came in a separate envelope.

So if I wait until the appeal, will I have to pay for and re-submit the electronic fingerprints or do they have them on file already?

Mr H

Banana'd

The letters that were sent were specific to the applications received "post-stay", best we can tell. The "pre-stay" apps with the self-defense reason seem to be treated no differently than other apps received in that period.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I got home today after being away for 5 days. Found a large envelope in the mail from MSP. They were returning everything to me, including the check, application, photos, etc., because I had not given a Good and Substantial reason and that they did not want to deny me because of the appeal of Legg's ruling at this time.

The letter stated that I could re-apply with a G & S reason or just wait unto the appeal from the appellate court.

However, they did run a criminal check on me since that came in a separate envelope.

So if I wait until the appeal, will I have to pay for and re-submit the electronic fingerprints or do they have them on file already?

I would suggest perusing the first several pages of this thread, which was started by a member in the same shoes as you.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

If you had your fingerprints processed via livescan, the "criminal background check", as you put it, is a function of the livescan process.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    You just have to prove you are dealing with large sums of money. Even then, your restrictions are going to be "to and from the bank". Some people have gotten them based on transporting expensive equipment (musical instruments, photography, even machine guns).

What I was saying before... and I think it is important to note this, is that it appears from my experience that IF you apply with G&S (i.e. carrying large sums of money) AND you ADD "for self defense and all lawful purposes" - it appears that your application will be returned unprocessed as mine was.

To me, it appears as if the MSP are not wanting to entertain an unrestricted permit even with G&S that would historically be approved.

Therefore, if you are applying for carry cash, etc. my suggestion would be that you seriously consider omitting "self defense and all lawful purposes".

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I submitted my CCW permit a couple days after the Woolard decision was announced. I used the 'for self defense and other lawful purposes' wording and did not provide any G&S. I received a call from MSP today asking questions about my references and confirming that my reason for the permit was for 'self defense'. After that the MSP officer schedule an interview with me for next Monday. :) I'll let you know what happens.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I submitted my CCW permit a couple days after the Woolard decision was announced. I used the 'for self defense and other lawful purposes' wording and did not provide any G&S. I received a call from MSP today asking questions about my references and confirming that my reason for the permit was for 'self defense'. After that the MSP officer schedule an interview with me for next Monday. :) I'll let you know what happens.

Oh, I beg to differ -- "self defense and other lawful purposes" is all the G&S you need according to standing federal case-law. Just a matter of waiting until the stays/appeals are overwith.

Anywho, welcome and now join Maryland Shall Issue and Second Amendment Foundation -- they are the ones that brought us this case!

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    If you had your fingerprints processed via livescan, the "criminal background check", as you put it, is a function of the livescan process.
    And just to clarify things a little, the livescan process and the background check is not run by the MSP, it is run by a separate group and the results are sent to the MSP and to you. That's why you have to pay the livescan facility separately instead of paying the MSP one big check for everything.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I had my interview this morning. It took about 20 minutes and was extremely business-like. The investigator read the questions with the personality of a machine... no, wait, that's insulting to the machine. He was not disrespectful in any way, though. The only disappointing thing was he said he had 80 cases he was investigating and didn't expect to finish mine for 3-4 months. Beyond that he had no idea how long the court process would take (since I was using that as my reason for the permit) and he did not have any idea how the MSP was regarding these permits. i.e. processing them, putting them in a pile until the court case was resolved... The waiting continues...

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I had my interview this morning. It took about 20 minutes and was extremely business-like. The investigator read the questions with the personality of a machine... no, wait, that's insulting to the machine. He was not disrespectful in any way, though. The only disappointing thing was he said he had 80 cases he was investigating and didn't expect to finish mine for 3-4 months. Beyond that he had no idea how long the court process would take (since I was using that as my reason for the permit) and he did not have any idea how the MSP was regarding these permits. i.e. processing them, putting them in a pile until the court case was resolved... The waiting continues...

I bet many of these troopers have big old attitudes about doing these investigations. I'm sure they have been dragging some troopers off of the very difficult duty of just driving around in circles looking for new places to sit and talk to other troopers to help with these app's. And they are not liking it one bit.

As well as they are not liking the idea that the state may go shall issues and it will just mean that much more boring work. So some of these troopers will get a kick if they are dash your hopes if they can.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

When I do carry large sums of money it is often not to a bank. I often need to have it on my when I go to buy the items I deal with.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What I was saying before... and I think it is important to note this, is that it appears from my experience that IF you apply with G&S (i.e. carrying large sums of money) AND you ADD "for self defense and all lawful purposes" - it appears that your application will be returned unprocessed as mine was.

I don't think so. Mine listed ONLY the suggested verbiage, but I also attached dozens of examples of deposits and withdraws, from a few hundred to close to $10k, all cash transactions.

Mine wasn't returned. I'd imagine you are falling into the AFTER 3/31 group.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

To me, it appears as if the MSP are not wanting to entertain an unrestricted permit even with G&S that would historically be approved.

Therefore, if you are applying for carry cash, etc. my suggestion would be that you seriously consider omitting "self defense and all lawful purposes".

These troopers are most likely being lazy and all they have to do is read the "for self defense and all lawful purposes" line and they just stop reading with a big smile on their face because they have been given permission to send back the app's with that as a reason.

If you happen to also have a G&S that maybe you went into some detail on page 10 they never bother reading your reasons because they at that point stopped reading your app and are to busy sending it back to you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The pertinent clue was the mention of each (***) being assigned 80 applications. The next inquiry is into is that for all Troopers , or are their different numbers for Investagators vs Uniformed Troopers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom