Maryland rules for selling reloading equipment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I thought so. Do they realize that a gallon of gas has a higher fuel load and explosive potential... not to mention its volatile.

There you go being silly already trying to inject logic into MD laws lol

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    So there is a loop hole or is that another case were the regulations cover retailers and not individuals disposing of unneeded powder? Or is this people hoping not to get caught?

Don't know that there is a loop hole but people regularly post unneeded powder and primers for sale here and other sites. Never heard of a problem.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I find this limit interesting. In NC I ordered 16#s at a time (one hazmat fee spread over a larger order). I remember friends ordering 25# drums. does this stem from fire code or a means to control private ammunition production?

Most states/jurisdictions follow the National Fire Code that allows individuals to store up to 20 pounds of powder in a one inch thick wooden box attached to a wall. For larger amounts a magazine of some type is required.

In Maryland it is a (stupid) means of limiting possession of "explosives" but not ammo production since there is no limit on ammunition possession.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So there is a loop hole or is that another case were the regulations cover retailers and not individuals disposing of unneeded powder? Or is this people hoping not to get caught?

Stop saying "loophole"
    There is no loophole, just free citizens buying and selling there own legally owned property. Saying loophole implies that we have no rights except those granted to us. It's the other way around.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Most states/jurisdictions follow the National Fire Code that allows individuals to store up to 20 pounds of powder in a one inch thick wooden box attached to a wall. For larger amounts a magazine of some type is required.

In Maryland it is a (stupid) means of limiting possession of "explosives" but not ammo production since there is no limit on ammunition possession.

I'm pretty sure that smokeless powder is not considered an explosive. It's a propellant. Black Powder IS considered an explosive though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Business versus individual with extra or not needed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm pretty sure that smokeless powder is not considered an explosive. It's a propellant. Black Powder IS considered an explosive though.

Nope, explosive.

Smokeless powders are classified as, typically, division 1.3 explosives under the UN Recommendations on the transportation of Dangerous goods – Model Regulations, regional regulations (such as ADR) and national regulations (such the United States' ATF).

NFPA 495
    Explosive Materials Code

Chapter 11
    Small Arms Ammunition and Primers, Smokeless Propellants,
    and Black Powder Propellants

http://www.saami.org/specifications.../download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

It doesn't matter what it is, it matters what Maryland deems it is.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is classed as an explosive. It is stored and shipped under the requirements for explosives.

The document linked has the appropriate parts of NFPA 495, which is the standard for Explosive Materials.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    It is classed as an explosive. It is stored and shipped under the requirements for explosives.

The document linked has the appropriate parts of NFPA 495, which is the standard for Explosive Materials.

I see your point, but I wasn't talking about a government classification. I was discussing it from a more scientific perspective. I suppose the facts are irrelevant though because as someone else on here commented "it is whatever the government says it is"

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is handled and stored as an explosive.

I see your point, but it only applies to those of us who understand the difference. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom