• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    what are the laws in md for knives? they are kind of vague. i know no double sided daggers or anything of that nature.

i was lookin to get a new fixed blade knife to carry on me at all times for self defense purposes.

http://budk.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_BK426
    http://budk.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CR2404
    http://budk.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TR52

those are the 3 that i was looking at

Maryland

* Summary: "Penknives" are OK. Anything else is borderline illegal and may require a concealed weapon permit.
    * Max length: None apparent.
    * Relevant laws: MD Statues Crimes and Punishments § 36, § 36A-O
    * Quirks: You may carry a "weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger", but it's up to a tribunal to decide the reasonableness/appropriateness of posession.
    * Local restrictions:
    o Cecil, Anne Arundel, Talbot, Harford, Caroline, Prince George's, Montgomery, St. Mary's, Washington, Worcester, Kent, and Baltimore Counties have special prohibitions regarding children under 18 carrying knives. See § 36(a)(3).

http://www.thehighroad.org/library/blades/knifelaws.html

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    We discussed this a little bit in some other threads recently. As one of our resident knife collectors, I'll give you my insight into things.

First, as far as I can tell, the term "bowie knife" mentioned in the state code is interpreted as any fixed blade knife. So that means carrying a fixed blade concealed would be in violation. A folding/pocket/penknife of any length is fine.

Carrying a fixed blade openly visible is fine, though it may draw unwelcome attention. As you said, knife laws in the state are vague and many cops seem to believe the urban myths of stuff like blades shorter than the palm. There's case history in the state of officers not knowing the law when making an apprehension. It means the knife owner doesn't deal with fines and jail time, but it's still a legal hassle. The relevance of this can vary depending on circumstances. A senior resident of MD I've talked to online in other areas has mentioned that he sometimes carries a fixed blade trout knife with him while walking the park and hasn't been bothered. A younger citizen doing the same in an urban environment may draw more problems.

Here's a useful reference for our state's laws I keep bookmarked: http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/md.txt

Levine has similar writeups for other states as well for when you travel.

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    thanks, i saw that pweb page before, i didnt know if there was more to it. i'm 19 so having a "bowie" fixed blade might draw attention, i would just wear it on my belt. right now i have a 3"blade Maple folder (8in. overall) on my belt.

you think i could have this one and not have a problem?
    TR52.jpg

3.5" blade 7"overall

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    you might be able to but why? Theres really no need to carry that everyday. I carry a benchmade or kershaw folding knife everyday in my pocket. The blades are like 3.5 inches or so. They do just fine for me

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    1. I dont have any fixed blades
    2. its more intimidating
    3. its faster to rip it out of the sheath than for me to try and pull my maple off my belt and unfold it. (gotta use two hand cuz the belt clip is very tight)
    4.my maple has to be adjusted after so many uses cuz the bolt comes loose

CR2404.jpg

i also like this one too. it would look less rediculous looking than carrying around that hunting knife if thats why you said no need for it.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    From experience and others can probably say the same, I have a kershaw whirlwind. I can get it out and open with one hand faster than something strapped in a sheath on my side. Look into kershaws with the assisted openings. I just dont see the point in showing off a big knife....just doesnt seem to do much for me.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    i'll look into it. by big knife you mean blade, or overall? it appears big but its smaller than the one i have now (overall) even though the blade is longer

Both, its just not my thing. Dont really see the point. I carry a "big" or bigger knife on me only when Im hunting bc thats about all its good for.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Its much easier to draw from clipped on the pocket than clipped on a belt I have found. I can draw my benchmade and have it open in one smooth motion. Its not assisted, but if you hold the axis lock down the blade is loose enough to wrist open with very little effort.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Its much easier to draw from clipped on the pocket than clipped on a belt I have found. I can draw my benchmade and have it open in one smooth motion. Its not assisted, but if you hold the axis lock down the blade is loose enough to wrist open with very little effort.

Thank you. I love the axis on my Benchmade too.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I'll never buy a liner locked blade again.

A buddy of mine was doing something with one of his that has a liner locked blade and the lock broke and the knife folded on him. I guess the pressure he was putting on it was to much and it cut the hell out of his hand.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I carry both a Spyderco Endura and a Benchmade AFCK as my everyday carry knives. But for a good value in fixed blades, I'm partial to Cold Steel.

Attachments

• DSC01126a.jpg
      DSC01126a.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 2,685

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    While I'm not sure about timing something like a Kershaw Assisted Opener vs. a fixed blade from a sheath, I do know that some sheathes can be unwieldy. Harder sheathes made entirely from kydex work better than ballistic cloth stuff since they don't move with the knife on draw in my limited experience, but then kydex often is in PC-unfriendly black. No experience with leather sheathes, I just don't something I can't store a knife in permanently due to the way leather attracts moisture.

If you can find it, a Spyderco Endura or Delica with a Wave feature opens quite fast if you typically wear jeans or other tough pants materials. The Wave is basically a hooked area cut into the blade that catches on the lip or corner of a pocket when properly drawn to assist opening. The downsides are that it can take some practice to get down and it's hell on dressier pants. They may not be easily available anymore either.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    A buddy of mine was doing something with one of his that has a liner locked blade and the lock broke and the knife folded on him. I guess the pressure he was putting on it was to much and it cut the hell out of his hand.

There's a huge range of quality in liner locks out there. I'm a fan of Microtech's approach on their SOCOM folders: There's a 2 mm bar of steel or ceramic composite that's thrown into place by a spring instead of just tension. It'll be a long time before one of those fails.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    screw cold steel, check out the Becker's that Camillus put out... amazing blades, I have the 14" Machete, and the 7" Combat knife, far nicer construction that any cold steel I have ever handled.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    another name thats seems to be comming up is Gerber. i got one of their new addisted opening knives Fast Draw, and that thing is a beast. You could pull it off your pocket..and with a sight push from your thumb, open and be ready. Everything from Gerber i have has never failed me. They have some realy great stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom