• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    First of all, a .410 was never designed for HD. Unless you are comfortable with two shots and limiting yourself to a double, there are better choices because it is not known for reliability in repeaters. That said, a .410 slug weighs a half ounce, or about 220 grains. With Buckshot in the 2 1/2" shell, it uses three 000 pellets at 70 grains each or a total of 210 grains. The slugs of course have more energy, while the 000 will make more holes. The 000 is .36 caliber. Each travels at about 1300 fps. It's interesting to note that due to the high pressure in a .410, the shorter shells are ballistically superior to the 3" shells, so stick with the 2 1/2" version. Ballistically, the .410 slug is about like a .41 Mag round. Therefore, it's got plenty of poop to get the job done. The downside is the reliability in repeaters, but reliability improves if you stick with the shorter shells. If a .410 is all you have, use it and use with slugs, knowing it's limitations dictated by the gun you are using. However, for "HD", you also need to use some common sense and use the best thing you can afford. It's your a$$.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    The downside is that most shotguns are tube fed, and there is no gain in capacity with a skinny 3" shell vs a fat 2 3/4" shell, so even though an effective gauge, you are limited in capacity, and reload speed as with most other shotguns. with box mag 410 though, they get a huge boost in capacity, like the Saiga 410 with 10 and 15rd box mags, it could be superior to a tube fed 12 ga in some uses where capacity is an issue, and fast followup shots are needed.

Quoting for emphasis. The one advantage that a .410 has over as 12 or 20 gauge (aside from potentially reduced recoil) is smaller radius. If you ignore that advantage by using it in a configuration that won't increase your on-gun capacity, I don't much see the point of choosing to use a .410.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My first deer when I was a teenager in NY was with a double barrel .410 with slugs (3 inch round) at 40 yards although it took two shots to take him down.

rch184

Aug 30, 2010
    Ceciltucky, Md.
    12ga. is the answer...

If you are buying a shotgun don't waste your time on a .410 for home defense. Take good advice and buy a 12ga. and you don't:banghead: need to buy new or spend anymore then couple hundred bucks.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You may also want to consider one of the coach shotguns in 12 gauge. Stoeger makes one that sells for about $400. A lot of folks like them due to the overall length.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Shotgun Joe's opinion:

Nothing less than a 20ga. A 20ga can be handled by anyone, the recoil is manageable and the damage considerable.

I'd only use a .410 if I couldn't get to anything else.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I know nothing about the effectiveness of a .410 round against a human. I did see a video once, I think it was the Valhalla video, where they demonstrated the most common HD rounds and their effects on common household barriers. Dry wall etc. The guy in the video, and if this is Valhalla than I think I may actually take his word, eventually got to the .410. His words were something along the lines of a .410 with good rounds being plenty for any would-be attacker in a CQB situation (such as a hallway in your house) but the .410 would only go through 2-3 pieces of dry wall with lethal force. I believe they even used a ballistic gelatin torso to prove the effects of the .410 on a human, but I am not sure. Have to watch it again. The other most common rounds, even the HD specific bullets, were at least twice as many layers with lethal force.

Just something to think about. "All humans are allergic to bullets" and "The human body was never designed to leak" come to mind. Is a .410 as effective as a 12ga? Absolutely not, and I don't think anyone is going to argue that. But with the right loads, and a good CM shot or better, I don't think I would ever assume it to be ineffective either. The old saying "No one will volunteer to be shot with a .22" comes to mind as well. There are better options, sure, but if its what you got, and what you are comfortable with, or have no other choice (multiple people living in one house, with multiple rooms in one area) I don't think I would feel unprepared either.

Just my worthless .02 :)

:thumbsup:

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Would 3" .410 gauge HB shotgun shells with lead shot size 4 X .400 buck, velocity 1200 FPS, be suitable for home defense (single house, not condo or apt.)?

Would be used with a Saiga .410.

Last edited:

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    You have a couple pages of folks saying 12,16, or 20ga.
    I agree with them.
    Now if you want a .410 because it's a neat little gun you have my blessing. I have one myself.
    But for HD the answer is to get something bigger.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    410 Snake Charmer

spoarmsciiu438.jpg

I always wanted one of these.
    Wouldn't be my first choice for a gunfight, but I'd feel safe with it if I had to use it.

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    Everyone has their own opinion re: .410 as a home defense weapon. Personally, I have home defense weapons all over my place but the one I would grab in a tight situation is my "Judge" with a six inch barrel. I think the key to home defense with a .410 is the new Winchester PDX-1 .410 shell. I have watched demos and have shot several boxes and Boys I'm tellin' ya, you do not want to take a bellyfull of that baby. The load consists of three copper clad discs and 12 BB's. A check of the videos on U-Tube showing PDX-1 loads hitting watermelons should dispel any doubt about .410 for self defense.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Hahaha you guys got to be kidding me. A shot from a judge at home distances will f your day up, let alone out of a full size shotgun barrel.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Hahaha you guys got to be kidding me. A shot from a judge at home distances will f your day up, let alone out of a full size shotgun barrel.

I don't want to f his day up. I want to ensure that a violent, dedicated attacker is incapable of continuing his assault. Feel free to use whatever you like, I will use what has been proven by independent, verifiable, repeatible testing.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't want to f his day up. I want to ensure that a violent, dedicated attacker is incapable of continuing his assault. Feel free to use whatever you like, I will use what has been proven by independent, verifiable, repeatible testing.

Not saying that the .410 is my first choice at all, but I think it would be pretty incredible to take a .410 slug to the chest and keep coming. It has more energy than .357 mag(of course muzzle energy isn't everything)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom