• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 31, 2013
    I'm looking to get my first SBR and was wondering what is actually legal for me to buy vs. what I think I want. I also heard from my local gun shop(who doesn't deal in NFA) that a whole bunch of SBRs got approved on the roster. Although he didn't share the details, I was hoping someone here might know? In a perfect world I'd like to see Daniel Defense, LWRC, Colt, just to name a few get approved. Thanks for the info!

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I saw LMT on there but not LWRC. I haven't studied it that closely though. My eyes don't stray much past Arsenal's 104UR. :)

It's entirely possible I just missed LWRC.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Or you could Form 1 an HBAR. That way you can efile and save time too!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Or you could Form 1 an HBAR. That way you can efile and save time too!

This was my plan but from what I understand you'd have to get it approved by the roster board since you are now manufacturing a pistol according to them.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A handgun (or SBR) only needs to be on the roster for a sale or transfer. Not for making a firearm.

Making and manufacturing are not the same thing BTW

IANAL

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    This was my plan but from what I understand you'd have to get it approved by the roster board since you are now manufacturing a pistol according to them.

A handgun (or SBR) only needs to be on the roster for a sale or transfer. Not for making a firearm.

Making and manufacturing are not the same thing BTW

Exactly.. You only need to submit to the roster if you sell or transfer the gun. I have that in writing from "them" (MSP, Cpl Edwards)

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Oddly, the Czech 58/2008, which is functionally/visually a Kalashnikov, is not only not banned, but also unregulated (i.e., cash 'n' carry) in state.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Fortunately they got that one right. Other than a similar appearance, it has a completely different action (and mags).

backhome426

Aug 26, 2012
    SouthCounty
    Im looking to make an SBR too. It is whatever is approved on the roster board. Engage E4 is approved and some others were put on the list on 6/19. E4 or wait till 8/11 when the 6/19 meetings are updated on the roster.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Fortunately they got that one right. Other than a similar appearance, it has a completely different action (and mags).
    Yeah, but, when it comes to "assault" weapons, it's not the action that makes the left wet their panties, it's the (evil) appearance. And I don't believe they (the Maryland legislators) got this one right; instead, they simply missed these out of sheer ignorance. In this case, (their) ignorance is (our) bliss. Though, I'm certain that, eventually, they'll figure it out and ban these, too.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'm still confused. Will they approve a Form 1 on an HK94? The rifle is banned but I've had it for many years.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    That is why it's not a copy.

Yep :thumbsup:

Yeah, but, when it comes to "assault" weapons, it's not the action that makes the left wet their panties, it's the (evil) appearance. And I don't believe they (the Maryland legislators) got this one right; instead, they simply missed these out of sheer ignorance. In this case, (their) ignorance is (our) bliss. Though, I'm certain that, eventually, they'll figure it out and ban these, too.

You speak truth, could be banned in the future; never know. Currently it's on pretty solid ground (for now anyway).

MSP’s 14-001 bulletin (from 7/9/14) just re-stated that to be considered a copy it has to be similar in appearance and have the same completely interchangeable internals. As you said, never know what'll happen in future GA sessions though.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Oddly, the Czech 58/2008, which is functionally/visually a Kalashnikov, is not only not banned, but also unregulated (i.e., cash 'n' carry) in state.

This is not functionally the same as an AK and the parts are not interchangeable with the AK, so therefor it is not banned. Since it was not previously listed as regulated makes it's cash and carry rifle.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yeah, but, when it comes to "assault" weapons, it's not the action that makes the left wet their panties, it's the (evil) appearance. And I don't believe they (the Maryland legislators) got this one right; instead, they simply missed these out of sheer ignorance.

For the most part, they simply took the old regulated list and turned it into a ban list. I don't think this was done out of ignorance. They did the easiest thing that followed precedent and didn't require debating why a bunch of firearm models currently sold as cash-and-carry should suddenly be placed in the ban bucket. That would've bogged the bill's progress down significantly and possibly convinced a few more people to vote against it.

If they thought they could have make a bigger grab, they would have. And they will try in the future. It's an incremental game.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    This is not functionally the same as an AK and the parts are not interchangeable with the AK, so therefor it is not banned.
    From the standpoint of functionality, they are the same. They're just not the same internally. Sorta like VHS and Beta. They differ internally, but do the same thing--record and play on video tape. Actually, the AK and VZ58/2008 are even more alike than VHS and Beta since they both share the same tape (i.e., round).

From my conversations with the MD Attorney General's office, the goal of the MD legislature last October was to ban those weapons that have two or more "assault weapon" (evil) features. The banning of clones/copy-cats was done to eliminate loop holes so assault weapons with different names/model numbers that're functionally similar wouldn't get missed. But, of course, if you know little or nothing about weapons, in general, and even less about foreign military weapons of the 20th century, in particular....well, you know what they say about best laid plans....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom