• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    think I'm SOL on the Saiga 12 since oct.2013 passed many months ago?!?!?? but I plan on buying either one around or before tax time of 2015 so school me on the difference between both of them where,how much,pros&cons etc...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    VEPR 12 is a much, much better buy at $800. Just be aware that you can't unpin the folding stock anymore.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    think I'm SOL on the Saiga 12 since oct.2013 passed many months ago?!?!?? but I plan on buying either one around or before tax time of 2015 so school me on the difference between both of them where,how much,pros&cons etc...

2A Sales has a Saiga 12 in stock.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    VEPR-12. Major upgrades:
    - Last round BHO
    - Magwell--no rock-and-lock
    - Easy to load a full mag with bolt closed
    - Auto-adjusting gas system
    - Better safety selector (though I find it a bit annoying)
    - Folding stock (though you can't grind the weld in Marylandistan anymore)

Prior to the VEPR-12, guys spent a lot of time modding their Saigas to reach the same level of performance. Both are fun, but MOLOT took it to the next level. The biggest upgrade is the auto-gas system, there are drop-in replacements for the Saiga but it adds to the cost.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Make sure you get some 20 round drums to go with it!

Be careful of your non-US parts content if attaching a non-sporting mag. 922(r) compliance is an issue. There are pages of information, and even a 922(r) compliance calculator, on the Saiga 12 forum.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I'm gonna say saiga. lots of established parts sellers with tons of options. Mississippi shooter supply, carolina shooters supply, pretty much everywhere you can get conversion parts an accessories.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I've owned both. My s12 was very reliable on low and high brass, so is my Vepr 12. To make the S12 reliable I had to smooth the bolt/hammer and tweak the gas system. The S12 is more difficult to load, but has a wider selection of aftermarket magazines, including my favorite the 12 round pro-mag drums (the only decent mage pro-mag makes).
    The V12 has a last round bolt hold open and a mag well which makes changing your expensive magazines much much easier. The V12 also just works out of the box where the S12 needs help.

Finally the S12 has a side rail where the V12 has a plastic top rail. I prefer the side rail.

-Jim

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    ... The V12 also just works out of the box where the S12 needs help. ...

I only wish that were the case for mine. My V12 needed about 200 rounds of 3" through it before I could reliably dump a 10 or 12 round mag of 2 3/4". I have two 10rd and two 12rd mags, so it wasn't particular to a given mag. I tried a few different brands of shells. Same issues. But running 3" S&B did the trick. Now it seems to eat anything.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Vepr 12 is IMO the upgrade. It has all the things you would do to your Saiga but for 799.99 and free shipping. I couldnt beat it so i just bought one myself. I received it a few weeks ago and the first time out i shot everything through it with no issies including, slugs, duck shot and cheap walmart bird shot. 100% reliable. I just added a PA red dot to it the other day thanks for the 49.99 sale.. figure ill give it a shot.

Attachments

• V93 and Vepr12.jpg
      V93 and Vepr12.jpg
      68.2 KB · Views: 466

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Vepr 12 is IMO the upgrade. It has all the things you would do to your Saiga but for 799.99 and free shipping. I couldnt beat it so i just bought one myself. I received it a few weeks ago and the first time out i shot everything through it with no issies including, slugs, duck shot and cheap walmart bird shot. 100% reliable. I just added a PA red dot to it the other day thanks for the 49.99 sale.. figure ill give it a shot.

Which mag(s) did you run with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom