• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buddha301

Jun 18, 2014
    Past weekend my younger brother ( competition shooter ) took me to a range. he gave me 2 different AR15 to shoot and a few hand guns. He was very strict on Muzzle safety. It was my very first time shooting ever. NOW I AM HOOKED.

He told me to go and ask questions about Md gun laws. After reading posts, talking to gun owners in the area, and reading all I can online, I am still at a lost.

Could Md Shooters help me with this?

I am looking at a rifle Ruger 10/22 or an AR15-22. Would prefer an AR15-22. Is this a legal rifle to own? If so who has the best pricing and magazines for them.

Thank You MD Shooters

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I would recommend the S&W M&P 15-22. It is similar to the AR platform, but from my understanding, it is not interchangable because of the spacing of the takedown pins. You can get them all day long for $500. Some places may have them cheaper as well.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, they are legal. Rimfire (which .22LR is) is not affected by the recent assault weapons ban.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Buddah301

Welcome to the addiction. Before you go to far and spend a lot of money, since you are brand new at this, I suggest you go and find some good professional training to get you started on the right foot. You will find there are many firearm types and even more types of shooting sports and enjoyable things to do with firearms. Explore the range of options before you settle on one thing to pursue.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Past weekend my younger brother ( competition shooter ) took me to a range. he gave me 2 different AR15 to shoot and a few hand guns. He was very strict on Muzzle safety. It was my very first time shooting ever. NOW I AM HOOKED.

He told me to go and ask questions about Md gun laws. After reading posts, talking to gun owners in the area, and reading all I can online, I am still at a lost.

Could Md Shooters help me with this?

I am looking at a rifle Ruger 10/22 or an AR15-22. Would prefer an AR15-22. Is this a legal rifle to own? If so who has the best pricing and magazines for them.

Thank You MD Shooters

Do yourself a favor and save up to get a real AR-15 first. You can still buy the Heavy Barrel (thicker barrel) HBAR variants. Get one now in case in the future they decide to ban those as well. You then can also get a 22LR conversion kit for that AR-15 HBAR, although it will not be as accurate as a dedicated AR15-22 like the M&P15-22 or a Ruger 10/22, due to proper bore diameter. AR-15 pistols are also available at some guns shops around the state. Check'm out and get them sooner rather then later.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Do yourself a favor and save up to get a real AR-15 first. You can still buy the Heavy Barrel (thicker barrel) HBAR variants. You then can also get a 22LR conversion kit for that AR-15 HBAR.

+1. The great thing about ARs are they are just big tinkertoys. After shooting .22 a lot you're going to be dying to own one in 5.56 (trust me). Same lower can work for both. In the end it won't really save much money but I really prefer the feel of a "real" AR lower with a .22 upper over the dedicated S&W and other AR-lookalike variants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom