• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizzer368

Zombie Slayer
    Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern shore of MD
    If I take a gun to a dealer for a private sale do I only have to show up the one time to drop off the gun and do paperwork. Do I have to comeback when the approval comes in to sign it over or is that just for the gun shop and the buyer?

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    If I take a gun to a dealer for a private sale do I only have to show up the one time to drop off the gun and do paperwork. Do I have to comeback when the approval comes in to sign it over or is that just for the gun shop and the buyer?

In my personal experience, if a dealer has to sign your firearm in on his A&D book - he's going to take a cut of your sale, beyond the transfer. This will vary depending on the vendor though. If someone will hook you up, great.

One option you do have instead of going to a MDSP Barracks for a P2P transfer is to have the dealer submit the paperwork. You hold onto the firearm until the transfer comes back not disapproved (or after 7 days) and then release the firearm.

Some dealers will do this, just ask around. Not sure what effect 281 & all the license crap has on the process above, but I used it last year.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    In my personal experience, if a dealer has to sign your firearm in on his A&D book - he's going to take a cut of your sale, beyond the transfer. This will vary depending on the vendor though. If someone will hook you up, great.

One option you do have instead of going to a MDSP Barracks for a P2P transfer is to have the dealer submit the paperwork. You hold onto the firearm until the transfer comes back not disapproved (or after 7 days) and then release the firearm.

Some dealers will do this, just ask around. Not sure what effect 281 & all the license crap has on the process above, but I used it last year.

• For handguns, buyer will need HQL - seller does not;
    • Magazines with a capacity over 10rd cannot be transferred, sold, etc;
    • ~Stuff about copycats, ALGs, and named banned rifles goes here~ this part is messy so someone else can elaborate.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The dealer will charge *something* to log in and out of his bound book and hold onto it for a week. Usually whatever their standard transfer fee is. The only other difference is the buyer does the paperwork with the dealer listed as the seller. I've done this before when the buyer and I lived too far away to make a second trip worthwhile.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    The dealer will charge *something* to log in and out of his bound book and hold onto it for a week. Usually whatever their standard transfer fee is. The only other difference is the buyer does the paperwork with the dealer listed as the seller. I've done this before when the buyer and I lived too far away to make a second trip worthwhile.

Don't forget the Sales Tax.....

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Don't forget the Sales Tax.....

No sales tax required! The dealer is providing a service by handling the transfer as a middleman, no different than buying a firearm online and having it shipped to him for paperwork. Consignment is different, as you are buying directly from the dealer vs a private sale.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    No sales tax required! The dealer is providing a service by handling the transfer as a middleman, no different than buying a firearm online and having it shipped to him for paperwork. Consignment is different, as you are buying directly from the dealer vs a private sale.

Once that dealer is listed as the seller he is required to collect sales tax.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you drop it off with dealer, for the buyer to pick up later, the dealer will typically charge his usual transfer fee (BTDT). Evaluate your schedules and distances involved , may/ may not be worthwhile for you when you calculate gas and travel expenses.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I bought a handgun online. Had it shipped to my LGS. They did the paperwork, I paid the transfer fee and picked it up. No sales tax, since I had already paid for it. What's the difference?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Every transfer I have done at a dealer was a one time thing where the gun was left at the dealer, and no sales tax was collected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom