• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    As stated, I'm sadly behind the times and have some questions.

First, this HQL requirement...does it apply only to new purchasers or even those of us who already own firearms? When we go to the police barracks to trade guns, does everyone swapping guns need an HQL certificate? If so, this seems grossly unconstitutional. To have to take a course that most of us could teach and pay a hundred bucks (not to mention the enormous waste of time) to exercise a constitutional right is like making people take a course to vote. What if I feel intimidated by taking such a course?

What if one has taken a course in Virginia? I took a course with my sister a couple of years ago just so I could shoot a Glock. I have the certificate, which I think also gives me a dollar discount at Starbucks. Does that count?

What is the penalty for carrying a pistol without a license? (I suppose it's a felony and punishable by death.) With this D.C. victory, I imagine it's only a matter of time before the courts force Maryland into granting citizens their constitutional rights. I mean, Obama doesn't follow the law, and neither does Eric Holder. Does that mean we can ignore the laws we don't agree with? What happens to the convictions of people who violated the carry restrictions if later courts hold, as they will, that the bearing of arms is a constitutional right?

Please note: This post in no way advocates the violation of federal and state laws, even if our elected leaders do so repeatedly and at their leisure..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    HQL only applies to purchasing a handgun.

If you transfer at MSP barracks, the recipient would need an HQL.

Info here: https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Within 3 years prior to the submission of an HQL application, an applicant must demonstrate a satisfactory completion of a Firearms Safety Training Course. Qualified Handgun Instructors can be found online (here). The Firearms Safety Training Course must be instructed by a Qualified Handgun Instructor, and shall consist of a minimum of 4 hours of instruction and include the following minimum curricula:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    If you already have a handgun, you don't need the training, just fill out the paperwork, get printed and send in the cash baby...it's all about the cash. And once you get your shiny new HQL, you can walk into a gun store, choose the handgun of your choice, and fill out all the same paperwork you had to before the firearm safety act of 2013 and have the same waiting period.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    As far as your last paragraph, very bad things happen. You'd likely never be able to legally own/possess a handgun in the State of MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As far as your last paragraph, very bad things happen. You'd likely never be able to legally own/possess a handgun in the State of MD.

More likely anywhere in the US. Federal law has similar provisions for losing your right to possess firearms.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Or anyplace else. Also, the state could drop by your home and confiscate your entire firearms collection because now you're a felon. But let's say you are a felon, having been convicted of this inane law, then, four years later, the law is declared unconstitutional.

Would the convictions of all those who had been convicted of carrying a gun thus be overturned?

And do you guys know of anyone who has been arrested and convicted of illegally carrying under Maryland law?

Finally, if one is forced to shoot a home intruder, does that person get his gun back from the authorities? I assume they at least temporarily confiscate a person's firearm in this wretched state.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Possibly you're already aware that the HQL does NOT apply to C&R firearms; if you want one of those, you can purchase it without the permit. There's a notation to that effect on the form somewhere.

Still have to wait, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    (As to return of firearm used defensivly) It varies from county to county. In PG Co any firearm that results in the death of a person ( felonous, justified , suicide , accident , whatever ) has a 75 year hold. Make sure you specifically mention it by s/n in your will.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    (As to return of firearm used defensivly) It varies from county to county. In PG Co any firearm that results in the death of a person ( felonous, justified , suicide , accident , whatever ) has a 75 year hold. Make sure you specifically mention it by s/n in your will.

are you ******** me! 75 years is insane.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

are you ******** me! 75 years is insane.

YIKES! Clearly, don't defend yourself with something you can't easily replace.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    YIKES! Clearly, don't defend yourself with something you can't easily replace.

That's why Glocks were created. They go bang every time, not rare or terribly pricey, and who can get really attached to something plastic and butt-ugly?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    ..... To have to take a course that most of us could teach.....

I'm not sure that I even know how to respond to a statement like that.....

What if one has taken a course in Virginia? I took a course with my sister a couple of years ago just so I could shoot a Glock. I have the certificate, which I think also gives me a dollar discount at Starbucks. Does that count?

Now I'm positive that I don't know how to respond to a statement like that.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That' a reason I carry my Glocks when I travel. If my firearm is gonna be confiscated if I'm involved in a shooting, I'd rather it be a $600.00 gun than a $1200.00 gun.

I travel with my Chevy even though I own a couple of Cadillacs.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm not sure that I even know how to respond to a statement like that..... Now I'm positive that I don't know how to respond to a statement like that.
    Well, if you don't know, why post it?

I've taken so many courses over the years that I've lost count. In my sister's case, she wanted to take a course in how to use handguns. The price was right and they provided the handguns, ammo, plus I didn't have to worry about cleaning the gun. I'd never shot a Glock (which I considered to be the most dangerous handgun made), and wanted to check it out. I loved the gun, found it exceptionally accurate and still think it's the most dangerous gun made.

Most people on this board know handgun safety. We know how to inspect guns when some yokel hands one to us in an unsafe condition. We know about home defense, how to shoot, when to shoot, to never shoot in the dark when you can't fully see who or what you're shooting. That's what I meant. When I took the course with my sister, I didn't learn anything I didn't already know.

In more advanced courses, I'm sure I could learn more about weapons, clearing jams and so forth, but in a basic course, I think most people on this website already know enough that they don't need a six-hour course.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The true purpose, in Maryland, of requiring a course (with live fire) is not to teach people about firearms but to add yet another roadblock and expense to the right of people to keep and bear arms. If you are not exempt from the training requirement the easy and usually least expensive way to meet the required training is with a Maryland Hunter Safety Course which meets the requirement.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The easiest is the online TX Hunter Safety Course. There is a thread on that here.

As for cheapest, some IPs have offered FREE HQL training. Can't beat that.

However, I am hapy that potential firearms owners get SOME training. Watching some at the gun shops is SCARY. And about the time I got my first pistol (1911) there was a case locally where someone bought a semi auto and was out shooting. Some friends came by and were not comfortable around the firearm, so the owner dropped the mag. The other still expressed concern, so to show them it was "unloaded" he put it to his head and pulled the trigger. Seems he thought that somehow when he pulled the trigger, the pistol chambered a round from the mag, and not until he pulled the trigger.

A bit of Darwinism, but some training would have helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom