• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Hey guys, I want to get my girlfriend into shooting and she wants to go to the range with me, but I'm not sure letting her shoot 9mm or 40 would be the best to build her confidence up. She's never shot a gun before

What would you recommend to buy for her? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot.

Also, is ammo really that hard to find. I have yet to see any on store shelves when I grab my 40 and 9 ammo. I'd hate to have a gun I can't even find ammo for

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    There are a whole lot of options out there. Lot will be driven by your budget.

I love my CZ rifles in 22LR and while they aren't the least expensive options there are plenty of choices which are very accurate and cost less.

Folks generally think highly of the savage rifles and of course there is always the Ruger 10/22

Ammo is getting more available but still somewhat harder to find and more expensive than any of us would like

--
    Shamr0ck

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Let her shoot your 9mm, she'll be fine. Or let her borrow your .22. No need to spend money on her.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Let her shoot your 9mm, she'll be fine. Or let her borrow your .22. No need to spend money on her.

Haha. I'm not gonna lie, I want a .22 for myself. This is just a good excuse for me:D

Anyway, I'm looking at semi-auto. I'm leaning towards rifle myself, but she will probably want a handgun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Plenty of good 22 pistols out there to go with.

For a rifle, a 10-22 is a must have for any REAL shooter. :) And the S&W 15-22 is nice to have also. Then a nice .22 bolt gun.

That should get you started. :)

MachtSchnell

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    CZs are always a great option, I much prefer their 512 over a Ruger 10/22 any day. Though the price of the CZ is a little more than a Ruger. The Rugers are solid though.

It all depends on what you already have. It's nice to have bolt and semi rifles that feed from the same magazines.

Why not give the Marlin 795s a look, they're about $150

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Definitely, start her off with .22. There's absolutely nothing a lady can't learn to shoot well, but make it less intimidating the first time around and she'll be more eager to learn.

My favorite .22s are generally conversions... AR with a .22 upper, Glock with a .22 slide. That way when you move to centerfire everything but the caliber is the same. There is a lot to be said for dedicated .22, especially if going for pointpoint accuracy, but I like being able to do more with a single frame.

My most-shot rifle is a Marlin 795 with Tech Sights. So far, it is the most accurate .22 I have. Even in the sights cost as much as the rifle, it's still a lot of fun and worth the upgade. I shoot a Glock 19 with a .22 slide more than any other handgun I own.

MachtSchnell

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Also, is ammo really that hard to find. I have yet to see any on store shelves when I grab my 40 and 9 ammo. I'd hate to have a gun I can't even find ammo for

Saw a 500rd brick of CCI standard at the Howard County gunshow for $145. :lol2:

But on a serious note, it's hit and miss. If you're willing to stand in line, early in the morning at walmart, bass pro, etc... than you can acquire ammo at reasonable prices. Otherwise, you either rely on luck to come across some, or pay the inflated second-hand prices.

Online vendors go out of stock pretty quick on the inexpensive stuff, but target ammo can be found. But then you have to pay for shipping.

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Pistol - M&P 22 --- same size as the M&P 9 and 40. Shoots any ammo and is very accurate.

Rifle - M&P 15-22 --- get the Magpul Edition. Shoots any ammo and is the only dedicated 22 rifle that is more or less the closest thing to an actual AR (same feel, operation and accessories).

I have both and have shot them for nearly a year without any issues.

RP

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I really like the m&p 22 and the 15-22.... Just not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on one yet. I have a fnh 45 tactical calling my name.lol

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I really like my Ruger 22/45, so does my wife. It's a tack driver and a good gun to start with.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

PSA has CCI Standard Velocity and Federal Auto Match in stock right now.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    S&W model 41, or a 1911 45 and marvel unit 1 for pistol. These are very accurate and have excellent triggers for target and competion shooting, and while they cost a little more, they will not break the bank. With the 1911 and 22 conversion your costs will be a little more, but you get a 45 to. The model 41 and 1911 are easier to field strip and clean compared to a Ruger.

Cry once, buy once.

If you do not care about accuracy and a good trigger just slap a 22 conversion on one of the pistols you have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom