• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Haven't gotten one and don't plan to. Have many handguns collected over the years, and not in a position where I'm adding to my collection anymore. Besides I agree that capitulation just
    feeds into the liberal win.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Haven't gotten one and don't plan to. Have many handguns collected over the years, and not in a position where I'm adding to my collection anymore. Besides I agree that capitulation just
    feeds into the liberal win.

Yup, exactly. I have enough to last me for as long as I want to shoot and I'll be damned if I'll be finger printed and pay this fu*king state a fee for something that is a right.

Jpratts

Sep 16, 2013
    I am really thinking of just doing the HQL to get another handgun. However, I am really against the SB-281 bill. I am really in a dilemma right now.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I'll more than likely get mine eventually. I meet all the training etc, so all I really have to do is get fingerprinted and pay.

As much as I hate it, look at it from this angle. NOT getting your HQL is exactly what OweMaoLee wants. Make is sooo difficult that no one gets their HQL.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    While I worked against SB281, despise the HQL, and fear the possibility of a FOID, I got an HQL because politicians respect numbers. If few of us get HQL's, they may conclude that the firearms-owning community is small, and thus not to be concerned about. Look at how they boast that very few CCW applications are rejected, yet fail to mention that there are so few rejections because most of us don't apply because we know doing so is futile. Looking at it the other way, I think if every Marylander displayed the motivation and got an HQL, elected officials would have to take at least some notice. What they do is another thing, but being viewed as a small, and worse yet, unmotivated community, would not be a good thing.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    While I worked against SB281, despise the HQL, and fear the possibility of a FOID, I got an HQL because politicians respect numbers. If few of us get HQL's, they may conclude that the firearms-owning community is small, and thus not to be concerned about. Look at how they boast that very few CCW applications are rejected, yet fail to mention that there are so few rejections because most of us don't apply because we know doing so is futile. Looking at it the other way, I think if every Marylander displayed the motivation and got an HQL, elected officials would have to take at least some notice. What they do is another thing, but being viewed as a small, and worse yet, unmotivated community, would not be a good thing.

I think you are kidding yourself about how Maryland politics really work.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll more than likely get mine eventually. I meet all the training etc, so all I really have to do is get fingerprinted and pay.

As much as I hate it, look at it from this angle. NOT getting your HQL is exactly what OweMaoLee wants. Make is sooo difficult that no one gets their HQL.

A counter to that angle: The anti's in power see the numbers and basically say "See, it isn't that much of an infringement, look at how many people jumped thru the hoops to get one.", and become even more emboldened on the next go round of legislation.

I'm exempted as well, but won't get one.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    A counter to that angle: The anti's in power see the numbers and basically say "See, it isn't that much of an infringement, look at how many people jumped thru the hoops to get one.", and become even more emboldened on the next go round of legislation.

The way I see it is that they're going to use it to make a point against us one way or another so just do what makes sense to you on a non-political "am I willing to jump through hoops to get more pistols" basis.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    No and don't intend to unless I'm really hard pressed to get another handgun. Waiting to see which will win out; repeal of the HQL or moving out of Maryland.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Annapolis will or won't draw that conclusion, depending on two things: how many of us there are, and, what it is we say. Legislators may conclude that few HQL's = few people interested in firearms. Conversely, lot's of HQL's can mean a few things, including lot's of people will jump through inane hoops (if we get HQL's and otherwise say nothing) or, there are a lot of us, and listen to what we say (if we get HQL's to demonstrate numbers, and then speak loudly that things need to change). Right now, without numbers, nothing we say will be heeded. I think they will look at the number of HQL's and draw a conclusion about the size of our community.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I think you are kidding yourself about how Maryland politics really work.

I've worked in politics for 30 years from the county to the federal level (not in the bureaucracies, but directly on the staffs of elected officials) and not a one of them, absent their conscience or some other need or desire, will bend to a position without money or numbers (meaning power) pushing them that way. How do we demonstrate that power? Lots of 4473's in lots of different names helps, or any other way we can touch them in a way they understand. What evidence can you think of that demonstrates there is a large firearms-owning community? I thought a large number of HQL's may be one way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom