• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Signo

Jul 10, 2011
    Cecil County
    I forgot to note, those are my opinions, and are obviously not legal advice. Although, I personally feel confidant that pre Oct 1st lowers that were registered with MSP, and then having an SBR stamp approved post Oct. 1st is completely legal. Others my have different opinions, and knowing this state, that's justified.

I am of the same belief as you, its just a hunk of aluminum with a permission slip.

The hunk of aluminum was allowed to be a ALG before the permission slip, it should be one after.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    So you believe it is still a grandfathered ALG even in SBR Form? There seem to be to camps on this issue. Did I miss something from MSP that cleared all this up?

I was reading in to the late night early morning it is possible I missed something.

That's basically right. This has been backed up by people getting pre Oct 1st lowers certified by MSP to build a firearm less then 29" in OAL, even way after Oct 1st. So if MSP is signing off on it, it would be a pretty good assumption that it's legal. Even Cpl Edwards, at MSP has stated the same to others on this forum. But yes, you cannot make a now banned item, more banned. However, be prepared to provide a "purchase order" or copy of the 77R when sending the Form 1 to the ATF, so you can prove you owned it before Oct 1st. You just had the pleasure of not going through that mess.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have an NFA trust and want to "build a sbr". I was told there is a minimum OAL in Maryland for sbrs. As far as I know, it is still legal to build your own for "personal use" in this manner.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yes but OAL > 29" to be approved.

Can't you just file with an OAL of 29" and replace the upper with a shorter one once you get approval? As I understand it you need to always have possession of components to make it in to the original configuration but can change the barrel length once approved.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Can't you just file with an OAL of 29" and replace the upper with a shorter one once you get approval? As I understand it you need to always have possession of components to make it in to the original configuration but can change the barrel length once approved.

The ATF wouldn't care, but state and local cops would if you had an OAL of less than 29" while in Maryland.

That's no different than buying a new complete HBAR rifle and swapping in a lighter barrel... you're assembling a banned configuration.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As Nate has explained, if you didn't actually possess the <29" SBR before Oct 1, you could not possess it after Oct 1.

That's my understanding of this. MSP has told BATF not to approve anything after Oct. 1 with an OAL < 29". I interpret this to mean if you didn't actually possess it before Oct 1, it's illegal to posses now.

IANAL

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is there any chance the OAL requirement will change for pre 10/1 lowers? Or is it pretty much an accepted verdict as of now?
    If you submit the form 1 with a 77r from pre-10/1, the OAL and other copycat requirements will supposedly be waived.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    If you submit the form 1 with a 77r from pre-10/1, the OAL and other copycat requirements will supposedly be waived.

I submitted my purchase order with mine from pre 10/01. I was still told nothing under 29". I asked about the 77r, but got the same response so I didnt submit it. ATF stated it doesn't matter when the lower was purchased, it had to be >29" OAL or would be disapproved.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hell, BATFE kicked mine back to Engage even though MSP signed my Form 4 on Sept 12th, and OAL was 30.5 inches. It delayed everything by 2 weeks.

Go figure

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I submitted my purchase order with mine from pre 10/01. I was still told nothing under 29". I asked about the 77r, but got the same response so I didnt submit it. ATF stated it doesn't matter when the lower was purchased, it had to be >29" OAL or would be disapproved.

Presumably if it's a pre-10/1 receiver, though, one could put on a 7.5" upper (once an appproved F1/F4 is in hand) and not be committing any illegal acts, correct?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    According to NATE IIRC if a copycat is not possessed before 10-1, then it's illegal to possess it after 10-1. I think that's what he postulated. Point being the lower isn't a copycat before 10-1. I believe putting a 7.5 inch upper on the lower after 10-1 would be prohibited.

IANAL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    According to NATE IIRC if a copycat is not possessed before 10-1, then it's illegal to possess it after 10-1. I think that's what he postulated. Point being the lower isn't a copycat before 10-1. I believe putting a 7.5 inch upper on the lower after 10-1 would be prohibited.

IANAL.

Wonder if you SBRd it before Oct 2013 with a 10.5" barrel. Would a 7.5" be legal to put on it now, as it was an SBR pre-Oct????

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't think so. before 10-1-there was no such thing as a copycat. You'd be making a copycat after 10-1 if it's OAL < 29". The SBR part isn't relevant.

But IANAL

ETA-I posed this exact question to Nate. I have a 10.5" SBR I have a Form 4 on that MSP signed off on 9-12. I asked about putting a 7.5 300 BLK upper on it. I didn't take it as legal advice, nor was it offered as such, but since he is a lawyer, I took it as friendly , smart, good advice..

He said it was a bad idea. YMMV

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    If it was sold and you possessed it before 10-1, to the best of my knowledge, no.

But iANAL either.

That's what I thought as well. Purchased in Dec '12, form 4 filed in Jan '13, just got the approval. FFL won't release. Trying to confirm with MSP. It so far no joy.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Did you physically posses the SBR before 10-1? If it's at the dealer and it's needs to be transferred now, then yes it has to be on the roster. I misunderstood your post. I just picked up my SBR from Engage on July 19th. The 77r is filled out wjhen your Form 4 comes back so yes i needs to be on the roster. The Engage lower is on the roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom