• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HawaiiMark

Aug 2, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    I posted this to the Castle Doctrine thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Here is some more context for those not familiar with the Matthew Pinkerton case.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/cg-attorney-glen-burnie-shooting-was-selfdefense-20140730,0,7849422.story

An open letter to those interested. Please feel free to share amongst your friends, family, and/or media outlets. I've withheld my opinions for far too long and stood by as my name is drug through the mud. I refuse to stand by as the local NAACP tries to pull me into further race baiting efforts and political distortion.

For nearly a year I withheld exercising my First Amendment right. I waived my Fifth Amendment right when I openly spoke with police officers and detectives during interviews. I abandoned my Second Amendment right when Maryland State Police Officers showed up at my house, uninvited, at 0600 hours one morning without a warrant, and confiscated my legally owned and registered firearms. My wife also relinquished her firearms after the officers said they didnt believe she would change the safe combination and keep it from me. They gave her and I no choice, they said one way or another they were leaving with all firearms in our possession.

It's been more than two months since my acquittal (June 2014). I still relive the horrifying event of that evening. His face still permeates my memory, a face of rage, hatred, and anger. I didn't ask for this, I didn't invite it. Yet, Anne Arundel County Police public comments haunt me. An offficer of the law, speaking on behalf of the police, publicly portrayed me as a murderer who "invited" Mr. Green into my home before murdering him in cold blood. The allegations couldn't be further from the truth. Officer Davis, in his capacity as Chief of Police, should have seen to it a correction of the grossly negligent and misleading comments be made. The remarks, in my opinion, spawned a public outcry and initiated an online defamation of character against me.

To further complicate matters, every action by State's Attorney Anne Leitess was poorly executed and rushed, lending to a rushed Grand Jury indictment in which facts were misrepresented. Interestingy to me is the unethical (in my opinion) manner in which she conducted herself before and during the indictment proceeding. A pretrial hearing had already been scheduled, but this was her chance to force an indictment and prevent the defense from presenting any evidence and possibly having charges dropped.

Mrs. Leitess used lead detective Hartzell to issue a subpoena to my wife, Jessica, less than 12 hours before the Grand Jury indictment hearing, forcing Jessica to respond without legal counsel or representation. Regardless, Jessica had nothing to hide.

Moments before the indictment hearing Mrs. Leitess spoke with Jessica outside of the courtroom. She did so in Detective Hartzell's presence. It was at this time she allowed Detective Hartzell to interagate Jessica, to accuse her of adulterous relations with Mr. Green while her husband was away in South Korea on military orders. He successfully brought her to an elevated state of emotion, at which time Mrs. Leitess took advantage and brought Jessica before the Grand Jury. Following Jessica's testimony Detective Hartzell was brought before the Grand Jury. If you review the transcripts you can see how Mrs. Leitess led Detective Hartzell in answering questions to which Jessica Pinkerton just answered moments before the indictment, questions Mrs. Leitess had asked her in front of Detective Hartzell. Was this ethical?

Even more interesting, why didn't the lead homicide detective (Hartzell) not testify before the jury during the prosecution phase of my trial? He was, afterall, the officer with the most interaction with me prior to trial. Why was it so conveniently withheld from the jury and Green's family that I, Matthew Pinkerton, laid out the series of threats and assaults on me made by Mr. Green since I first met him? Obvioisly this doesn't help the prosecution, but it's certainly relevant information that could have been presented to a Grand Jury or during pretrial, had pretrial been permitted to be held. This is information Mrs. Leitess had readily available and in front of her, but didn’t lend a hand in achieving a high prosecution rate and appealing to voters for the upcoming election.

This evening (21 August) Carl Snowden leads an NAACP monthly meeting calling for a protest in support of the Green and Brown family. Mr. Snowden is attempting to use the tragic shooting of an "unarmed" African American teen in Ferguson, Missouri as additional backing in his charge against myself and the Honorable Judge William C. Mulford II. Mr. Snowden has pushed for a federal investigation alleging my reaction to a home invasion to be a hate crime. Mr. Snowden also managed to arrange for Chief of Police Davis to speak at the meeting.

I sit here contemplating attending the meeting. It's open to the public. However, I have no interest in sparking further emotion in friends and family of Mr. Green. I don't see how they have been allowed the time to grieve seeing as how the NAACP and Mrs. Leitess continue to aide the family in a belief that somehow justice wasn't served, as if I didn't go before a judge and jury.

I have no interest in such confrontations. I do, however, have an interest in whether or not Chief of Police Davis intends to offer a public apology for the misleading of citizens of Anne Arundel County. I have an interest in whether or not Chief of Police Davis intends on personally and/or publicly apologizing to me and my family for reporting incorrect and false details about my case. You see, Chief of Police Davis and the Anne Arundel County Homicide unit had absolutely zero evidence of any such invitation being extended to Mr. Green. In fact, court transcripts will show quite the contrary.

Mr. Green was repeatedly told by my wife, Jessica, NOT to come over. Unfortunately, my wife didn't reveal to me her conversations with Mr. Green. Moreso, in Mr. Green's final text to Jessica, he said if he comes over he's "doing more than knocking". His final texts to Jessica, which she never got to read (her phone battery ran dry) and was removed from her phone following the police confiscation, and I only have record of due to the discovery phase of my trial, read, "Ok you not going to pick up, if you pick up I wont go to the door if you don't I'm doing more the knocking". The prosecution had this information, information which clearly depicts Mr. Green's state of mind that early morning. They also knew Mr. Green's BAC was more than double the State of Maryland's DUI level. Mr. Green's BAC at the time of autopsy was. 17!

At any point the state could have dropped the charges. At any point the state could have requested to speak with me again to obtain clarification or additional details. They didn't. Instead, under the direction of State's Attorney Anne Leitess, they pursued prosecution, and adding a second prosecutor.

I'm thankful for citizens who withhold judgement until they hear the facts. I'm thankful for supporters who offered me words of encouragement throughout this difficult period in my life. I'm thankful for judges who have the courage, integrity, and compassion to make the right call, even if it means facing ridicule from those who are opposed. I'm thankful for officers who selflessly serve and have the courage to stand up and do and say what is morally right, and more importantly, honest.

I'm concerned with those who will go to no end to achieve political success. I'm fearful such people will abuse their position and publicly shame, prosecute, and defame law abiding citizens for the sake of making a name for themselves.

Integrity First. Service Before Self. Excellence In All We Do. These are the Core Values of the United States Air Force, values which have shaped me in my adult life and I hold near and dear and strive to live by. Perhaps State's Attorney Anne Leitess, Chief of Police Davis, Detective Hartzell, and Carl Snowden should attempt to operate in at least their official capacities under these very simple, but honest, principles.

As I wrap up this unveiling of emotions and views I would like to add that the challenges have only begun. I've been advised the state will not return my personal belongings since there is a potential/ongoing review by the Justice Department. I had to move my family out of state due to my wife being fired by FutureCare Irvington just a few weeks before the trial (a bit shady in my opinion) and my oldeat son being harassed at school just before the end of the school year. My son was told he wouldn't have a dad for much longer, "you're dad's gonna be in jail for a long time". Imagine the heartache and fear a child would experience hearing this.

My Air Force career feels unknown at the moment. My clearance has yet to be fully reinstated. Im hopeful of a transfer, but understand mission must come first, and personnel moves are expensive and the budget is limited. Regardless, my family will be protected at all costs. I will march on and strive to improve my life and the lives of others when and where i can.

Respectfully,
    Matthew Pinkerton

Edit: Apologies for mistakenly inferring Chief Davis made the invitation comment. It was another officer who works with Chief Davis, Lt TJ Smith. I have made corrections above, but still hold Chief Davis accountable for ensuring corrections and follow up be made.

Last edited:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Honesty, integrity and a moral compass, seemingly has been lost due to liberal ideology and political aspirations. Farewell Matthew, many here stayed in-tune to your horrible experience and unfortunately, we learned from this. Stay safe.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    and ABC2 news which I thought turned the corner till they were saying Green's parents are now going to ask for a civil rights investigation , also they stated Green was killed on the porch WTF , he was shot in the house

HawaiiMark

Aug 2, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    and ABC2 news which I thought turned the corner till they were saying Green's parents are now going to ask for a civil rights investigation , also they stated Green was killed on the porch WTF , he was shot in the house

After he knocked the door off the hinges no less.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    Stories like these are absolutely horrifying to me. To think that if you were to defend yourself in your own home you would be treated like a criminal is just ridiculous.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    So his wife was screwing this guy while he was away, and Green wouldn't let it go once he came home. Essentially his wife caused all of this. Women.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    had to be a reason this guy had her# and was coming around.

"Pinkerton, who is in the Air Force, suspected his wife was having an affair last year while he was on a work assignment in Korea, police said.

Pinkerton returned early from his Korea assignment and, upon entering his residence, found Green there with his wife, police said."

I have spent enough time in the military to know that his wife definitely was cheating on him. All that aside, when he broke down the door after being told to leave, the owner had every right to shoot him.

Jul 1, 2012
    Personally I don't think it's cool to make accusations about his wife's behavior, especially without going back and reviewing all the information that was released on the background leading up to the incident - vice a news snippet. I won't review it here, it's not my place to do so. There are a number of threads here on MDS about this.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Maybe you need to spend some the checking your facts. Green rented a room at Pinkerton's and when told to leave he assaulted Mrs Pinkerton, slam I g her against a wall. After he was removed he refused to stay away. Unless you have some facts that were not admitted, then your assumptions are just that, assumptions.

HawaiiMark

Aug 2, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Personally I don't think it's cool to make unfounded accusations about his wife's behavior, especially without going back and reviewing all the information that was released on the background leading up to the incident - vice a news snippet. I won't review it here, it's not my place to do so. There are a number of threads here on MDS about this.

I agree, it is not our place to speculate and whatever transpired between them and is between them and has no bearing on the facts of the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom