• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tfrazi

Sep 30, 2013
    White Marsh
    Hey all,

With stripped lowers being legal (as long as you build into a HBAR or pistol) it got me thinking about a fluted heavy barrel for one of my builds. Does anyone know if this is G2G with MSP?

Thanks.
    Tim

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    You might want to PM engage arms. I was over there the other day and they had a couple fluted HBARS. When I asked the guy about it he said the flutes couldn't be past a certain depth. I may have misheard so its worth double checking, but fluted HBARs are definitely out there.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    We have fluted white oak barrels custom made for us marked HBAR to be double safe.

I picked up a 20" fluted HBAR barrel from Engage last week and it is a thing of beauty! Bushnell 6-24x50 is on its way so I'm hoping to really test this thing out next weekend.

Last edited:

OldLawman

Oct 18, 2011
    Catonsville
    While I understand the theories of fluting - lighter/more surface area for cooling/etc. - how much weight is being saved ? Just do a few more pushups.

They do look cool, though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    However they heat up faster due to less mass.

And you lose stiffness versus a non-fluted barrel.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown

They should also cool faster due to Increased surface area. I forget by what percentage but the fluting does reduce weight and increase surface area at the same time.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Actually, they cool quicker do to more surface area, and they are MORE rigid as the flutes act as spines to provide additional stiffness compared to a non-fluted barrel.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I picked up a 20" fluted HBAR barrel from Engage last week and it is a thing of beauty! Bushnell 6-24x50 is on its way so I'm hoping to really test this thing out next weekend.

Odd coincidence. I picked up the same barrel last week, and pulled my Bushnell 6-24x50 scope (a 4200 Elite Tactical I purchased about 8 years ago) off another rifle for the build.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Actually, they cool quicker do to more surface area, and they are MORE rigid as the flutes act as spines to provide additional stiffness compared to a non-fluted barrel.

I'm not sure what you are comparing, but my understanding is that fluted barrels are stiffer than unfluted barrels of the same weight (but lesser profile). They are not, however, stiffer than unfluted barrels of the same profile (but greater weight).

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    my understanding is that fluted barrels are stiffer than unfluted barrels of the same weight (but lesser profile). They are not, however, stiffer than unfluted barrels of the same profile (but greater weight).

I believe that is correct. The fluted barrel of the same profile should not be any stiffer, but it should also not be significantly less stiff.

A lateral force directed through the longitudinal center of the barrel should meet about the same resistance, fluted or not. It's when the force is applied off the central axis of the barrel, giving it a twisting moment, that the fluted barrel may offer slightly less resistance.

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, though. I'll take the weight-savings any day.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No, they are less stiff than an unfluted barrel of the same thickness.

You are saying a 2x4 across the 4 inch dimension is stiffer than a 4x4. Nope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm not sure what you are comparing, but my understanding is that fluted barrels are stiffer than unfluted barrels of the same weight (but lesser profile). They are not, however, stiffer than unfluted barrels of the same profile (but greater weight).

YES, you got it.

Feb 28, 2013

I'm not seeing how that's possible.

What difference would that make, as long as the proportions are equal in both scenarios you describe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom