• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Great choice!

I have an FNP that has never failed. I love it. Mags we're hard to find and expensive, but I ended up finding them (when I wasn't looking) for a great deal. Enjoy with confidence. :)

Mar 21, 2014
    I got three mags with it so there isn't an issue there. I was told that the internal safety that won't let the weapon fire when the slide is out of battery activates if you rest your thumb on the slide during firing. Thus causing a malfunction. I have about 300 rounds through it thus far and had one malfunction. The gun also gets extremely hot. I changed my grip after the first malfunction and went through the rest of the day without an issue. So far I really like it

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    My FNS LS runs VERY hot to the point where after only a few hundred rounds there is discoloration towards the end of the barrel on the bluing.

The grip texture also gets VERY annoying after a few hundred rounds.

Mar 21, 2014
    My FNS LS runs VERY hot to the point where after only a few hundred rounds there is discoloration towards the end of the barrel on the bluing.

The grip texture also gets VERY annoying after a few hundred rounds.

Mine did the same thing, the end of the barrel had a slight discoloration to it after shooting. It may not be noticeable in the picture but it is there.

Thanks for all of the replies

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Mine did the same thing, the end of the barrel had a slight discoloration to it after shooting. It may not be noticeable in the picture but it is there.

Thanks for all of the replies

Just looked at mine again...it's also has discoloration on the slide about an inch in length from the end of the barrel.

I don't think it's going to cause any issues as it's not down to bare metal however the finish is not uniform throughout the slide.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    I have a FNS 40 (not the long slide) and I really like it. My next purchase will probably be a FNS 9, but the long slide is interesting. I hadn't heard of the issue with it getting hot before.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    FN is great, I have a few their WWII vintage pistols as well an early Ps90 and all original authentic herstal-made vintage FN FAL. Really sound workmanship and quality. I hope to get their FiveseveN as well some day, and maybe a SCAR 17s in FDE.

Arel11

Aug 7, 2012
    I agree with the heat of the LS. It was borderline untouchable after 100 rounds. And I put a rubber sleeve on mine before qualification my hands were so chewed up from the grip. It's not a bad gun but I don't like the trigger.

Mar 21, 2014
    I agree with the heat of the LS. It was borderline untouchable after 100 rounds. And I put a rubber sleeve on mine before qualification my hands were so chewed up from the grip. It's not a bad gun but I don't like the trigger.

Personally I don't mind the trigger. The grip is an issue when shooting a lot of rounds. Thanks for the input.

SmokeEETR

MSI Executive Member
    Jan 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I bought an FNS 40 during the no more gun scare of 2013. I liked it until I took it to the range. Same issues as everyone else...grip and slide discoloration.

I also noted that the shape of the weapon does not profile in a natural shooting position. With a Glock the weapon follows the natural shooting position and will be on target when you present it. FNS is muzzle down and you have to adjust your wrist position. Subtle difference but noteworthy. It is one of my "OK" guns and a good plinker but I would never make this a carry weapon.

Mar 21, 2014
    I agree, Glocks are naturally on target out of the holster. This is just a range toy and home defense gun. I got the five inch barrel so its merely impossible to conceal it. I always carry a Glock as my carry gun. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I picked up an FNP Tactical, I also picked up a standard non threaded barrel right before they removed the "assault pistol" BS from FSA 2013. Glad I did all I need now is a holster for it.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    ... to Glock shooters. For the rest of us, it's the opposite: a 1911, FN, HK, Ruger, XD (all guns except Glock) point naturally, and Glocks point up in the air.

It's not good or bad; just depends on what you are used to.

There's the Glock grip angle, and there is everyone else.

I have the FNS-9 and like it very much. No issues with discoloration. The grip texture is a little abrasive for concealed carry IWB.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    This is my first FN. Any thoughts, negative or positive experiences?

Interestingly... I was just talking with a Trainee who is attending the Ba Co Police Academy. This is the pistol that he just qualified "expert marksman" with...

All indications are that it is a pretty good copy of "Gastons' Newfangled Plastic Gun". The one that caused a fear mongering holiday here back in 1989. We shall see how it all plays out... I still like my Glock...

4.5 stars Vs. 4 stars... Fairly close... :cool:
    http://guns.findthebest.com/compare/309-319/Glock-22-vs-FNH-FNS-40

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom