• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    mother of god thats a lot of shooting. im lucky if I can go once a month. I'll spend an hour there and not go through 250 rounds :whoa:

That is one advantage of working nights. I have lots of time to go to the range. Through the week, a range trip may only last an hour or two, the weekend trips may last three or four hours. I have over one dozen 22s. There is always one or two that follow me to the range.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The big manufacturers tool up to stamp out a caliber or two at a time, might be months till they produce the same caliber if it sells out. This has happened before, and IMO is the new normal, a run on ammo, then a year or two till it was available at reasonable cost again. Scalping is extremely risky, takes a lot of effort and money to get it, then have to wait till people pay a premium, then have to dump it before it starts coming back at Walmart, screw up on the timing, and they get stuck with a ton of ammo they may have paid double the current market value for. Yay capitalism and all, but still kinda makes me smile watching people at gunshows desperate to unload WWB value packs just to break even after Walmart got more ammo in than they could buy. 22 will come back, in the mean time, shoot centerfire, and after it returns, be sure to set a couple bricks aside till it happens again. Luckily enough I had enough before the mess started, didn't hoard, don't sell my ammo, but also managed to add a couple bricks by sheer luck that popped up at the right time.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The big manufacturers tool up to stamp out a caliber or two at a time, might be months till they produce the same caliber if it sells out. This has happened before, and IMO is the new normal, a run on ammo, then a year or two till it was available at reasonable cost again. Scalping is extremely risky, takes a lot of effort and money to get it, then have to wait till people pay a premium, then have to dump it before it starts coming back at Walmart, screw up on the timing, and they get stuck with a ton of ammo they may have paid double the current market value for. Yay capitalism and all, but still kinda makes me smile watching people at gunshows desperate to unload WWB value packs just to break even after Walmart got more ammo in than they could buy. 22 will come back, in the mean time, shoot centerfire, and after it returns, be sure to set a couple bricks aside till it happens again. Luckily enough I had enough before the mess started, didn't hoard, don't sell my ammo, but also managed to add a couple bricks by sheer luck that popped up at the right time.

Luckily, I have a lot of other calibers/gauges than just my two .22lr guns. So, I just shoot whatever I have. Started to run low on Win AA reloads for the 12 gauge and was out of primers. Before the stock ran completely dry, I was able to order 10k in primers. Should be good for a couple more years now. Oh yeah, Hodgdon Clays powder isn't easy to come by right now. DOH. Might only be good until the fall. lol

Things are really loosening up now, and whether there are additional runs on this sort of stuff is going to depend on who gets elected in November and future events. Don't remember anything like this happening during the Bush administration.

I'm willing to bet 22lr is going to be consistently back on the shelves soon. When that happens, the market will be flooded with everything I see on gunbroker from the scalpers. They have to be getting a little nervous about now with all the other ammo becoming available. 22lr is just the last one left. Heck, I've passed on a couple of value packs at BPS because I am only interested in CCI Mini-Mags.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Actually its not. They Mod the sight based on the rules and do so without any stake in it more than any other member. They were asked to be moderators based on their character and routinely get blasted when somebody gets their panties in a bunch."

Okay, I accept the mods don't own the site specifically, I realize they are hired to police it. But they do carry out the site owners directives.

"Saying they condone scalping is just wrong. While there are some here who try to take advantage with ridiculous adds. Its a free market, nobody is forcing you to buy what they sell. Don't like the price... don't buy it. "

I don't buy it. And I'll probably stop shooting before I succumb to those tactics. The fact the scalping tactics are permitted to be listed the site is opening a market for the behavior. The moderators enforce other site guidelines, they could be directed to delete grossly over retail prices...obviously scalping. Again, "free market" is used. So we are in a time where no matter how much you gouge your fellow Americans its okay because "you got yours". Its their site so they have that freedom to decide.

"Sooo.. does this mean some of you guys don't buy gas?
    Because it used to be 99 cents.. now it's 3.xx... the gov was hoarding gas... "

Compared to the world wide market, our fuel prices were way underpriced since day one because of federal regulation. That is an industry which was deregulated. Deregulation was implemented and prices shot up. Everyone knew it would happen. Just about threw the country into a major depression (recession). That's when the fuel companies started to back off the rising prices. Of course, the utility and now the health care industries followed suite.

Now it seems 22LR ammo scalpers consider themselve big business. Any excuse to scalp. How much do you charge your Basic Pistol Students for 22's - $0.17 per round of Mini Mag? $0.11 per round of $0.04 per round ammo? Fellow instructors, shooters and competitive sportsman have stated how the activity has impacted shooting activities. Yet some still defend their behavior. It is a free country, follow your conscience.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    "Actually its not. They Mod the sight based on the rules and do so without any stake in it more than any other member. They were asked to be moderators based on their character and routinely get blasted when somebody gets their panties in a bunch."

Okay, I accept the mods don't own the site specifically, I realize they are hired to police it. But they do carry out the site owners directives.

"Saying they condone scalping is just wrong. While there are some here who try to take advantage with ridiculous adds. Its a free market, nobody is forcing you to buy what they sell. Don't like the price... don't buy it. "

I don't buy it. And I'll probably stop shooting before I succumb to those tactics. The fact the scalping tactics are permitted to be listed the site is opening a market for the behavior. The moderators enforce other site guidelines, they could be directed to delete grossly over retail prices...obviously scalping. Again, "free market" is used. So we are in a time where no matter how much you gouge your fellow Americans its okay because "you got yours". Its their site so they have that freedom to decide.

"Sooo.. does this mean some of you guys don't buy gas?
    Because it used to be 99 cents.. now it's 3.xx... the gov was hoarding gas... "

Compared to the world wide market, our fuel prices were way underpriced since day one because of federal regulation. That is an industry which was deregulated. Deregulation was implemented and prices shot up. Everyone knew it would happen. Just about threw the country into a major depression (recession). That's when the fuel companies started to back off the rising prices. Of course, the utility and now the health care industries followed suite.

Now it seems 22LR ammo scalpers consider themselve big business. Any excuse to scalp. How much do you charge your Basic Pistol Students for 22's - $0.17 per round of Mini Mag? $0.11 per round of $0.04 per round ammo? Fellow instructors, shooters and competitive sportsman have stated how the activity has impacted shooting activities. Yet some still defend their behavior. It is a free country, follow your conscience.

Gasoline prices are really linked to supply and demand. They were $4 a gallon before the Great Recession and just after the Great Recession they were $1.70 a gallon. Times were good for gas if you still had a job and a house in 2009. I know people that lost their cars and were going to work via bicycle or mass transit at that time.

22lr prices will come back in line. Once the supply comes back, Walmart will not want to lose sales to BPS, Midway, etc. and the competition will drive prices down. I just looked on gunbroker for CCI mini-mags and a range is selling the stuff online for 18 cents a round. No thanks. I'll wait until prices come back down to something reasonable and shoot the shotguns, center fire rifles, and pellet gun before I pay the gouge price. Heck, I'll go out and buy a .22 WMR or a .17 HMR, or whatever other rimfire just so I don't feel like I am getting screwed.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    I call ********. When you are allowed to buy 3 box max and you take other people to buy for you, you are robbing the next guy in line. In fact, last time I bought a box there were two boxes left and I let the guy behind me buy the other. That my friends is is called a gentleman. I could have bought them all, but the guy behind might not be able to shoot due to my greed. Say what you want but I was taught respect for my fellow sportsman.

DUDE! 55 friggin dollars for 500!!!

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I got in a the habit a long time ago of buying 2-3 boxes to replace every box I shot. When prices were reasonable, it built up a little bit of a stash to help last through the rough times. Will be happy to start doing that again once sanity returns to the land. I don't consider that hording... it's a hedge against future shortages. There will be future shortages.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I got in a the habit a long time ago of buying 2-3 boxes to replace every box I shot. When prices were reasonable, it built up a little bit of a stash to help last through the rough times. Will be happy to start doing that again once sanity returns to the land. I don't consider that hording... it's a hedge against future shortages. There will be future shortages.

Yup! I learned to do this after the -last- ammo shortage, when Obama was first elected…

I haven't had to buy ammo in close to a year…

Well, except for shot shells...:rolleyes:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I call ********. When you are allowed to buy 3 box max and you take other people to buy for you, you are robbing the next guy in line. In fact, last time I bought a box there were two boxes left and I let the guy behind me buy the other. That my friends is is called a gentleman. I could have bought them all, but the guy behind might not be able to shoot due to my greed. Say what you want but I was taught respect for my fellow sportsman.

DUDE! 55 friggin dollars for 500!!!

Yeah, and what makes you so sure that the guy behind you did not add the 2 boxes to his 5,000 round resale stack?

Not that I have done this, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring my entire family along for a 3 box per person limit IF I knew there would be 22lr CCI Mini-Mags in stock.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Oh, yeah...Mini Mags...love 'em

Willy, I've done the same thing on several occasions. These were all shooters so I feel I made a prudent choice. One was a police officer looking for 22's so he could take his daughter shooting on one of those occasions.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I hate the 22 shortage almost as much as I hate the whining about it.

Nothing to do but pay to play or waste time everyday checking your local Walmart/Cabelas (which won't have it 9 out of 10 times).

RIGGS

Apr 20, 2013
    Baldwin
    Like when it sells for $6.47 at Wal-Mart and then you resell it for $15? :innocent0

How am I busted? I wouldn't pay $15 for it. I'm also not limiting buyer to 3 boxes... My ad says $15 but make offers. I see these on other sites for as much as $35/box.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Looks like the .22"s are not selling to well in the for sale section.

My stuff that has been listed for around .08/round in lots under $200 has been getting gobbled up.

The only thing I see people shying away from is my large $250 lot. However, I got two PMs about that this a.m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom