• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    30 yards away. Is a kill shot possible from this angle with an AR15 loaded with 55 grain FMJ xtac. If so, where would you land the shot?
    If not, why not?

My understanding is MD doesn't allow AR15 deer hunting but I'm new to the AR and to hunting (never been), so I'd like to get some perspective should I have a chance when visiting family out of state.

556 AR15 with pinned & welded 14.5in barrel, button rifled 1:9 twist. Red dot w/ 3X magnifier, dont suspect is needed for this shot example.

EDITED NOTE - The location is not part of the question as the photo was taken in a residential area - CLEARLY A NO HUNTING/SHOOTING ZONE. The context of the question is merely concerning the rifle set up (a CQB), ammo, the position and the angle of the deer.
    Sorry guys, I should have originally posted this disclaimer.

20160430_062813_zpslhwudvfp.jpg

Last edited:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Maryland does allow AR15 hunting, it just has to develop 1200 foot pounds of muzzle energy, FMJ's are a nogo just about anywhere for hunting big game.
    I personally wouldn't take that shot, im sure it's possible to make a kill from that angle, it definately isn't the best shot to take.
    As to why I would take the shot, look behind the deer, car, fence, so I'm sure there's a house and a street there. Even if that were in the woods I wouldn't try the shot since it's not some wall hanging monster trophy and I'd venture to say she'll move around for a better shot or some more will be along shortly for a better shot.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You shouldn't use FMJ for hunting and you should go with a heavier hollow point bullet. You have to shoot right next to the ham to possible get both lungs with that angle. That not even a good quartering away shot. Even though you have a back stop there, its a bit too risky with the other stuff in the back ground. Bullets or fragments can change trajectory going through its shoulder.

My daughter was using fussion 62 grain out of my AR when she hunts. She didn't get a shot on one during gun season, but it should kill just fine.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I wouldn't take a shot with a .223 - not at that angle. You might get lucky and get a kill-shot but, you'll hike a mile to retrieve your deer. I guarantee it'll run for quite a distance.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That shot has no go written all over it. Unknown human structure as back stop for one. Had that not been there, not a shot for a novice. Only two ways to put that deer down effectively. Neck shot or heart shot. Neither are good shots at that angle. With .223, I only take broadside shots. That way if you shoot too high for the heart, you'll more than likely score a double lunger which is a fatal shot. Try 68-69 gn. hollow points. Your 1:9 should shoot them fine.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Just get a 6.8 upper an call it a day. Federal Fusions 6.8 ammo turns their insides out!

My main hunting rifle is an AR in 6.8, and I won't go back to a "normal" hunting rifle. The AR has to many benefits

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I believe that deer is closer than 100 yards from that structure. I wouldn't take the shot because of the direction is towards known structures and possibly human beings. As far as quality of shot, I'd take it. I shot a deer at that angle with a muzzle loader years ago. But if your question is "Can I make that shot", then you probably shouldn't take the shot.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I wouldn't have a problem taking that shot at that angle. Done it many times. I would not shoot in that particular instance with all the unknowns in the background.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    223 is deadly for deer. I use 60 grain or bigger soft point ammo. As said prior.... the background of that deer is a car and fence. Don't shoot. But if that was in The woods I would shoot that deer at the base of the neck. That is a slam dunk for me at 30 yards. Night. Night.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    No shot. As mentioned, bad angle AND structures in background.

Can't make a Texas heart shot and high risk of mangling a ham.

If it was a really long time since I'd eaten and food was paramount, I'd whack it. A head shot if you're comfortable with your situation. Otherwise, mangle it.

Minimum of 62 grain and 69 or even 77 would be better. No ball...unless it's an emergency and that's all you've got.

Generally, given what I'm presented with by the OP, I'd have to let that one walk. In a non emergency situation, there'll always be more and better shot situations.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    New to the AR and hunting the first question would be how good a shot are you, the second how good at range estimation, third any experience following a blood trail, and last will you suffer from buck fever?

To answer your question is it possible? Yes it is possible but not a high percentage shot especially with your choice of ammunition and would not be recommended for a novice. A good recommendation would be to try to hook up with some experienced hunters and go hunting with them to learn the ropes. There is a lot more to ethical hunting than just killing an animal. Which shots to take and which to pass up have a lot of variables as you have seen posted and each situation is unique. Hunting is tough to learn without a mentor fortunately many experienced people are willing to pass on what they have learned. Have you ever field dressed a deer?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    New to the AR and hunting the first question would be how good a shot are you, the second how good at range estimation, third any experience following a blood trail, and last will you suffer from buck fever?

To answer your question is it possible? Yes it is possible but not a high percentage shot especially with your choice of ammunition and would not be recommended for a novice. A good recommendation would be to try to hook up with some experienced hunters and go hunting with them to learn the ropes. There is a lot more to ethical hunting than just killing an animal. Which shots to take and which to pass up have a lot of variables as you have seen posted and each situation is unique. Hunting is tough to learn without a mentor fortunately many experienced people are willing to pass on what they have learned. Have you ever field dressed a deer?
    I put all my big does in pants suits...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom