• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sleeping Troll

Jul 12, 2012
    I am inheriting(relative still living)/being gifted a few firearms, I think 2 pistols and a shotgun as of right now, and do not know how to go about it. They are in a different state and I will have to have them transferred for a fee in the Southern Maryland area which hopefully isn't too outrageous price wise (I have found a few for 30$).

How do I go about inheriting and/or receiving them as gifts? Is there a way to not have to have the 8 day wait or the 30 day wait for each of them? Since I am inheriting/receiving as gifts them from a family member, I hear there are different rules about it including possibly that I can get them all at once and it does not count as one of my "purchases" for the next month's. I guess I could just pay for the transfers and leave them at the FFL till I get everything I want for now and pick them up at a later date (after Oct. 1st they will be grandfathered in?)

Any help would be great if anyone has done this recently or in the past.

(If this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it to the correct location. I had no clue exactly where to put it.)

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I presume that despite being in the ClassIII section , that these are conventional firearms.

Since the relative is still alive , these are not "inheritence" , just genoristy of a senior citizen. All interstate acquisitions must go thru an FFL. The shotgun should be able to take with you with the usual 4473 and NICS . The handguns would involve the usual process. Consult the several dozen threads on the subject.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    I just went through this. The person has to bring the guns to a md FFL or ship them to an FFL you want to use.

Make sure the FFL will release the firearms to you before oct 1. Preferably, you choose one that will do 8th day release. If the pistol isn't released to you before then, you will have to get a HQL before receiving the pistols.

The FFL I chose allowed me to bring the firearms to him with a copy of my moms driver license. He doesn't do early release. I don't mind waiting. But, he will release my handguns before oct 1st to avoid the HQL requirement.

Just my experience.

If you are under 21 you can't own the pistol.

Sleeping Troll

Jul 12, 2012
    Thanks for the help with your recent transaction. I guess I will start the process and see who will release and now release before then. Anyone know who is running either 8th day release or releasing everything before oct 1st in southern maryland, roughly waldorf/laplata area?

I am hoping that I will have my regulated firearms collector status before oct 1st just so I do not have to worry about it but just in case I do not have it by then I do not want to be caught in that mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom