• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    Hi folks,
    well, i want to know what you guys recommend I use to comply with Md. law for ccw holsters . I'm a fat boy so I'm thinking owb is a no brainer, though i have seen some youtube fat boys who used iswb holster. mind you they didn't have a thumb brake .

It is my understanding the holster has to have a thumb brake if it's carried concealed, is that correct ?

i know the i own a business, and carry a lot of cash is a reason to ask for a permit, but what are other reasons that will allow you to be approved here.

the fact that a ruling was made concerning the burden of need ...
    what known impact has this ruling made so far in md. for wannabe permit holders ?

http://www.usacarry.com/maryland_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

For The Constitution in Maryland

We just received word that the United States District Court for the District of
    Maryland has granted a motion for summary judgement for plaintiff Ray Woollard
    in the Woollard v. Sheridan case that challenged the good and substantial
    requirement for issuance of a permit to carry a handgun.

while at a range is it true that you can wear any holster you choose without restriction in md. ?
    Do you guys wear a holster in the house too, it's not like i'm expecting trouble usually ?

lastly since i have your attention, what excellent psitol safes can be had without breaking the bank; what safes are good to store cash/valuables such as a knife collection or important papers . again budget is a concern, but quality is needed too.

thanks folks for any, and all help

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Holsters.. Thumb break.. No.. But you want good retention and trigger guard.

Ranges: depending on range rules.

Home: you dont need permit to carry in your own home. Just make sure you don't go outside your property line or in in common areas for condo/apt.

Safes: any decent safe is better than no safe.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hi folks,
    well, i want to know what you guys recommend I use to comply with Md. law for ccw holsters . I'm a fat boy so I'm thinking owb is a no brainer, though i have seen some youtube fat boys who used iswb holster. mind you they didn't have a thumb brake . The choice between IWB and OWB is usually comfort, not body size.

It is my understanding the holster has to have a thumb brake if it's carried concealed, is that correct ? No

i know the i own a business, and carry a lot of cash is a reason to ask for a permit, but what are other reasons that will allow you to be approved here.
    If you are a principal in the business that's all you need. Forget about carrying cash, it's a non issue.

the fact that a ruling was made concerning the burden of need ...
    what known impact has this ruling made so far in md. for wannabe permit holders ? How much time do you have?

http://www.usacarry.com/maryland_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

For The Constitution in Maryland

We just received word that the United States District Court for the District of
    Maryland has granted a motion for summary judgement for plaintiff Ray Woollard
    in the Woollard v. Sheridan case that challenged the good and substantial
    requirement for issuance of a permit to carry a handgun.

while at a range is it true that you can wear any holster you choose without restriction in md. ? Range rules vary, I've never been to a public range in MD where drawing from a holster was allowed.
    Do you guys wear a holster in the house too, it's not like i'm expecting trouble usually ? I carry from the time I get up until the time I go to bed, within my restrictions. 100% of home invasions happen in the home.

lastly since i have your attention, what excellent psitol safes can be had without breaking the bank; what safes are good to store cash/valuables such as a knife collection or important papers . again budget is a concern, but quality is needed too. Search the forum, many threads have recommendations.

thanks folks for any, and all help

My comments above.

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    If its concealed the theres no real reason for retention as no one else knows it is there...OWB maybe retention...I'm not a fan of retention unless its mounted as a secondary weapon like on a drop leg...
    I recommend 100% the 511 thumb drive for retention, more natural than Serpa or Safariland, thus quicker
    non retention OWB i recommend blade tech holsters
    IWB- I often don't use a holster but any cheap uncle mikes will work, what is important is the comfort against your body...dont forget about pocket holsters, I love them, really useful...and if you imagine walking down a baltimore street w/ you're hands jammed in pockets like any college age kid, you already have your hand on your weapon

Love Stoveman's logic...yes I carry in the home as well...or i have a pistol w/ in reach. maybe in the morn i leave the one by my bed when i get up, but i have another one in the living room/ kitchen, so...now, if you have children then what you do to safeguard them is your call as far as access to weapons and also know the state law of what age you don't have to babysit your weapon anymore. so if you have kids and you keep your loaded weapon on you at all times, then obviously they can't "find" the loaded weapon. My kids are 7&5 and they know and understand don't touch guns unless an adult is helping them. They've both shot and before that they watched me shoot, so there is no misconception about the danger and power firearms possess in their minds...when my oldest was younger, any weapons that were not on me were not chambered, and the one locked and loaded was on my body so no chance for access by him.

Last edited:

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    Holsters.. Thumb break.. No.. But you want good retention and trigger guard.

Ranges: depending on range rules.

Home: you dont need permit to carry in your own home. Just make sure you don't go outside your property line or in in common areas for condo/apt.

well, i know u can carry inside the house no permit needed
    Yet, u are saying i can also carry in my back/front yard too . i do think i saw something to that affect. i just confirmed that too. :)

i could have sworn i saw something md. specific about the type of holster that was allowed. ala the thumb brake ? yet, i can't recall that reference. maybe i misunderstood, but it was pretty clear from what i recall. it made me smdh as Md. likes to do on so many issues, especially guns ... :sad20:

so far as the safe, i'd like something that only i can access, and want it legit because playing devils advocate i rather be safe than sorry from theft or have them used against me in some type of unforeseen scenario .

paying coin for a safe that doesn't do the job isn't acceptable to me.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    well, i know u can carry inside the house no permit needed
    Yet, u are saying i can also carry in my back/front yard too . i do think i saw something to that affect. i just confirmed that too. :)

i could have sworn i saw something md. specific about the type of holster that was allowed. ala the thumb brake ? yet, i can't recall that reference. maybe i misunderstood, but it was pretty clear from what i recall. it made me smdh as Md. likes to do on so many issues, especially guns ... :sad20:

so far as the safe, i'd like something that only i can access, and want it legit because playing devils advocate i rather be safe than sorry from theft or have them used against me in some type of unforeseen scenario .

paying coin for a safe that doesn't do the job isn't acceptable to me.
    Single family homes.. Legally yes If you own the property. BUT it also depends on your local/city ordinance and who may call in the cops on you. Lol

Safe.. There are couple safe people in the forum and you can search.. It's been discussed before. Safes are not 100% theft proof. If one is determined to steal what inside.. They will.

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    thx. so the holster issue is solved except for which one to choose since my options are not restricted by a thumb brake : potentially saving me $ too :)

so, range holster is also a non issue too. 1 less issue to worry about.

Now, to figure out a legit business that qualifies as such in MD. I can teach Taijiquan for $, but I don't think that will cut the mustard . any suggestions, cause I don't need to make much or any profit as far as I know. based on what i charge for taijiquan lessons I'd consider myself a non-profit actually lol.

Maryland Firearm Transport Laws found here = http://www.scotts-gunsmithing.com/important-maryland-firearm-laws/
    The following activities are also exempted:

4) The wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases.

thank you folks, i appreciate all of you. :)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    thx. so the holster issue is solved except for which one to choose since my options are not restricted by a thumb brake : potentially saving me $ too :)

so, range holster is also a non issue too. 1 less issue to worry about.

Now, to figure out a legit business that qualifies as such in MD. I can teach Taijiquan for $, but I don't think that will cut the mustard . any suggestions, cause I don't need to make much or any profit as far as I know. based on what i charge for taijiquan lessons I'd consider myself a non-profit actually lol.
    Business is a business.. They are only worried about the money you deposit so they can tax it. ;)

But then again.. The would argue... Hey you know martial arts.. You don't need gun! Lol

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    Business is a business.. They are only worried about the money you deposit so they can tax it. ;)

But then again.. The would argue... Hey you know martial arts.. You don't need gun! Lol

In most cases i wouldn't need a gun or a cutter . yet, one of my arts specializes in cutting since it's Arnis :lol2:

I have multiple disabilities now , most of which can seriously inhibit me in a fight with a tough/skilled opponent . The option to run is no longer viable btw, so i'd have to stay, and fight/cut/blast regardless.

the fact that many of these cowards in Md./balto. like to run in packs makes my safety far more precarious than when i was physically good to go.
    the number of adversaries matters even if you are a martial artist, with decent fighting skills; and frankly i like to even the odds up whenever possible against those who wish to do me harm.

i walk with a cane/limp , and grey hair abounds too. to many young/older miscreants i might look like a easy target or at least one they can handle when they size me up .

yes, i can surprise folks with what i can do, but like i said numbers matter; and anything can occur on the streets of b-more . so far i have lived to tell a couple of tails though.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    OP. Ever get your legal trouble cleared up? reference your CLOSED thread from Sept. 10, 2014.

" Hi folks,
    ok my background check came in today and was completed.

i want t know if you qualify for a gun can they deny you based on your background check.

1st. case information is as follows.i have had charges that were levied against me, and i went to court to face them.

None of these charges/crime were something i did or could have done. i didn't even know the crimes had been committed until an early sunday morning when county cops came to my house to take me into custody via a warrant.

to be clear the police and the states attorney already knew i didn't do any of those crimes before they came an arrested me. i would go into more detail, but a book might be written based on my case. my case was so absurd that it was written up in "the daily record" which thankfully supports my total and complete innocence.

the states attorney intervened before the 2nd. part of the trial could continue. she said she didn't want me to get convicted of crimes that she didn't think i committed. in reality she should have said that she knew i didn't commit nor could have committed. yet to say it like that would have made her office look worse than it already did for having me on trila in the 1st, place.

i had a cds charge that was for possession of marijuana. the amt was = to 1/2 a small joint max. _______________________________________________

last charge carrying my gun without a permit. the officer in the case asked if he could speak on my behalf before the case was even heard. yup, that was a surprise to my attorney and me to say the least. my attorney's friend & fellow attorney advised us to go to trial and we would easily beat the case no problem.

this would mean i would get to keep my CZ PISTOL. i elected to accept a PBJ because i didn't want to risk court and have my animals be screwed over for what i had done. so i forfeited my gun and actually paid them probation fees for a year or so as outlined in the deal.

this was all 10 years ago, and prior to the items mentioned above i had never been in trouble with the law.

Ok, that is all. the issue is all the details i gave here don't show on the background check. will they deny me based on not looking into my situation details. as far as i know I'm legally able to own a gun still and have my range fantasies fulfilled.

Anyone with experience/knowledge in this area please chime in and share your thoughts. thank you kindly"

Last edited:

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    TMGN is also implementing holster draw. They have replaced some of the fixed benches on each side with ones that can be detached and rolled back to give a clear lane in front of you. There's a short course to take to prove yourself. I've only seen one person there doing it so far; it's new for them.

SCDoGo

Dec 6, 2014
    FWIW, I am a bigger guy and have found IWB carry at 4-5 o'clock with a forward cant comfortable and concealable for myself. Just forward of my dominant hand back pocket. Keeps it out of the way when sitting (an issue other forms like appendix carry have when you have a gut) and is easily covered by my normal attire, untucked collared shirt over jeans, which tend to be a bit looser around the waist line than the "belly-line". Of course, losing weight would make everything much simpler (not just speaking carry).

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    w/ regards to your disabilities I would def recommend a 10mm subcompact w/ 10 or 15rd mags...I'm gonna guess MD restricts mag capacity though...if you're concerned about mobs of miscreants nothing handles that better than a large and fast bullet...one shot and well, if not dead they won't be in the mood to fight, and it'll also knock them back unlike a 9mm..chances are- you shoot one or two and the rest will run

also, I'm not a resident of MD and i just did some searching on your supposed holster requirement- it does not exist...the only thing I found was re non permit holders transporting, and basically it says they can't have access to the firearm while in the car...I am a hardcore 2nd amendment guy and I will help and support ANYONE who wishes to practice their god given constitutional rights. I don't mean to offend or be disrespectful but it sounds that you are really uneducated on firearms and the whole thing...I would say that people who say "some people shouldn't own guns" are thinking of people like yourself...I do honestly hope that you become better educated and become a responsible citizen who responsibly exercises their 2nd amendment rights

Last edited:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I personally wouldn't make any firearm related recommendations to this OP because based on information, discussions, and my impression from past threads, I'm not sure he is mentally stable enough to own any firearms. Not to mention his legal issues.

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    I personally wouldn't make any firearm related recommendations to this OP because based on information, discussions, and my impression from past threads, I'm not sure he is mentally stable enough to own any firearms. Not to mention his legal issues.
    thx a ton for the vote of confidence but i frankly disagree. i'm more stable then most. and my legal issues didn't make a difference. won't even bother asking about your list of reasons. i will say this, so many folks make negative assumptions about strangers they do not know and are wrong about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom