• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Just did a transfer this morning.

Trooper was pleasant to deal with. We told him we had both done transfers before, but he insisted on verbally going over the regs, 8 day release, etc.

This particular trooper asked me to bring the gun inside. Other times, they've gone out to the car to check. Myself and the other party had a good long time to chat. Once we handed over the gun, licenses, and hql it was about 45mins until the trooper came back with the paperwork for us to fill out.
    Once filled out, he handed me the hard copies and explained the rest of the process (which we both already knew). Then things got slightly weird. He told me the gun I was selling wasn't on the roster. Actually it is, just not in this particular caliber and he wasn't searching under the correct manufacturer. Then he said it shouldn't be a problem bc they would just add it. I said, that's odd bc I bought it 2 years ago from an ffl with no problems. Then he went off on a tangent about full auto guns not being on the roster bc it's illegal to own them. :crazy:

I thanked him and we left.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    New one for ya.

Asked for and made copy of the SELLER'S hql.:rolleyes:

Wow! :sad20: Maybe you can leave your HQL to someone in need (maybe another seller :D) like the guy that inherited a Class III weapon in 1987 that's still not registered.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    So....
    Did 77R with a buyer today, same Golden RING MSP barrack.

Two troopers, both friendly and nice as could be.

We completed the paperwork, and one trooper faxed it off to the Licensing Division.

He then said, "Ok guys, you're good to go"
    I asked if he was giving me the paperwork.
    He said, "It will come to your house along with the determination letter"
    Ive never NOT gotten the paperwork to take with me, as a seller...
    He then said that it was not a valid document until it is sent back to me, which makes zero sense to me...
    We both need to sign it at the actual physical transfer, but it's impossible to sign paperwork if they do not get it back to me within the "legal" 7 day wait....

He then said that if I had always gotten back the paperwork when leaving, that the person sitting in the chair he was sitting in, "Didn't know what the H#%& they were doing"...lol.

So the other DOZEN or so troopers all did it wrong, in his opinion....

So....do I release firearm after the legal 7 days? Then meet up if/when the paperwork shows up at my house?

Buyer is a co-worker, so luckily for him, it's not a very inconvenient and not necessary THREE meetings to buy a gun...

Did something change? Like I said, I have always gotten the paperwork to take home, then signed it upon physical transfer, then mailed it in to Licensing Division. ...but not this time...

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    So....
    Did 77R with a buyer today, same Golden RING MSP barrack.

Two troopers, both friendly and nice as could be.

We completed the paperwork, and one trooper faxed it off to the Licensing Division.

He then said, "Ok guys, you're good to go"
    I asked if he was giving me the paperwork.
    He said, "It will come to your house along with the determination letter"
    Ive never NOT gotten the paperwork to take with me, as a seller...
    He then said that it was not a valid document until it is sent back to me, which makes zero sense to me...
    We both need to sign it at the actual physical transfer, but it's impossible to sign paperwork if they do not get it back to me within the "legal" 7 day wait....

He then said that if I had always gotten back the paperwork when leaving, that the person sitting in the chair he was sitting in, "Didn't know what the H#%& they were doing"...lol.

So the other DOZEN or so troopers all did it wrong, in his opinion....

So....do I release firearm after the legal 7 days? Then meet up if/when the paperwork shows up at my house?

Buyer is a co-worker, so luckily for him, it's not a very inconvenient and not necessary THREE meetings to buy a gun...

Did something change? Like I said, I have always gotten the paperwork to take home, then signed it upon physical transfer, then mailed it in to Licensing Division. ...but not this time...

Call Nicole in the licensing division. She will get it all straightened out for you. 410-653-4596 -

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    You can't release without you both signing the 77R. This trooper has no clue, and he is completely wrong. I've done dozens of transfers at six different MSP barracks and always was given the paperwork as the seller.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    You can't release without you both signing the 77R. This trooper has no clue, and he is completely wrong. I've done dozens of transfers at six different MSP barracks and always was given the paperwork as the seller.

I agree. I've never had the Trooper debate me about the paperwork, but he wasnt going to budge on his decision....and I wasn't going to stand there and argue either.

I'm off tomorrow, so will definitely be calling the Licensing Division.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Finally called Nicole...very nice and helpful person.

Explained what happened, and as expected the Trooper was 100% wrong by not releasing the paperwork to me, the seller.

She's going to flag the 77R so she can mail it back, today, assuming it arrives their via intra office mail...

Thanks a lot for the direct number.

She also was very thorough in explaining how the online 77R will work...

She also suggested that should that happen to me, or anyone reading this, before the online 77R starts in January, to call her directly and she will straighten it out with the Trooper before I (or you) leave the barracks...

Thanks again.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

Explained what happened, and as expected the Trooper was 100% wrong by not releasing the paperwork to me, the seller.

She's going to flag the 77R so she can mail it back, today, assuming it arrives their via intra office mail...

She also suggested that should that happen to me, or anyone reading this, before the online 77R starts in January, to call her directly and she will straighten it out with the Trooper before I (or you) leave the barracks...

Thanks again.

Put her number in your phone and be sure to send her a Christmas card. She is a great resource, especially since it seems that more than half of the troopers do not fully understand the process.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Put her number in your phone and be sure to send her a Christmas card. She is a great resource, especially since it seems that more than half of the troopers do not fully understand the process.

Number already "saved"...:)

What's irritating is that the Trooper got all "snippy" with me when I questioned him for not giving me the paperwork, and also him basically saying his fellow Troopers were all wrong....when as we knew, HE was the "incompetent" one.

Probably my last sale/buy (unless someone buys my SR1911) before the online process starts, so hopefully no chance of this happening again....

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Number already "saved"...:)

What's irritating is that the Trooper got all "snippy" with me when I questioned him for not giving me the paperwork, and also him basically saying his fellow Troopers were all wrong....when as we knew, HE was the "incompetent" one.

Probably my last sale/buy (unless someone buys my SR1911) before the online process starts, so hopefully no chance of this happening again....

What exactly will the "online" process be. I have not heard anything about this.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Thanks again.

Did you ask her how it will work at barracks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom